purolator Synthetic Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
the new purolator filter was bought at advance auto. i cant remember the no for my dakota v-6. they come in a green box.

Originally Posted By: morris
To:john1944 "seams ok" means no oil on the ground. my body will not let me get on the ground. i am more than sure that a leak on the case will end up on the ground.

morris: i was just correcting your spelling as a joke - what you meant to say was "seems ok".

If you are going to use the filter for two OCIs leave it on, don't take it off to dump it. There is a good chance of damaging the canister and/or the gasket taking it off and putting it back on, and the tiny bit of old oil in there will make no difference at all. If for some reason you think the oil is bad enough that you must remove the filter to dump it (fuel or moisture contamination) then it is also time for a new filter anyway.

I just received 3 PSL14006's from AAP. These things sure seem heavy compared to the P1's. Now I just have to wait for my OLM to go off so I can use one. It seems like a great filter for $10 IMO. It seems like a better filter than the D+ I have on there now, which goes for about $11.xx, and I'm sure it's better than the Fram XG for $9. I think Purolator has something really good here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: thereed
I just received 3 PSL14006's from AAP. These things sure seem heavy compared to the P1's. Now I just have to wait for my OLM to go off so I can use one. It seems like a great filter for $10 IMO. It seems like a better filter than the D+ I have on there now, which goes for about $11.xx, and I'm sure it's better than the Fram XG for $9. I think Purolator has something really good here.

How can you tell it is (or what makes you feel it is) better than the D1 you have on the car now and also that is it better than the Fram XG?

The D+ doesn't have wire backed media like the PSL, plus the Bosch is vague at what level their 99.9% filtration is at. I feel that the wire backed media ensures that the media will not tear or lay down flat, it will stay uniform ensuring you get maximum capacity and filtration. I'd say with filtration that is at the very least equivalent, better construction and a lower price, the
PSL is the winner.
As for the Fram XG, it has great construction but it doesn't seem to compete in the filtration dept. I'd say construction wise the PSL and the XG are a wash, and I will pay $1 more for the extra filtration of the PSL.

to: john1944 correcting my spelling can be very big job. my Dyslexia causes me to take a long time to wright things. and i did not do good in school, but i did good in machine shop, and auto shop. i havent been keeping up with this theard.

People who have to correct other peoples spelling on a chat board have some kind of issue. Just sayin' ...
whistle.gif

The fram 97% @>20 microns bothers me a bit too. Their not really telling you anything, it could be any micron above 20, who knows? That being said I would run a Fram XG without hesitation as I'm sure it filters just fine for my vehicles.

My point is for the price, the Purolator PSL is competitive with the best of the best filters out there. If they send me my rebate on them then I will only be out $8.55 per filter which is a smoking deal IMO. Heck, even at the regular AAP price of %9.99, its a good deal.

Last edited:
Has anyone had trouble with filter availability? I don't see a filter listed for either car I work on online. Wasn't sure if the website just needed to be updated or if they aren't available...

The fram 97% @>20 microns bothers me a bit too. Their not really telling you anything, it could be any micron above 20, who knows? That being said I would run a Fram XG without hesitation as I'm sure it filters just fine for my vehicles.

Technically, 21 microns, and even 20.1 microns, is larger than 20 micron. Don't know why FRAM just doesn't say "@20 microns".
21.gif

The fact that Fram doesn't specify is what bothers me. If the XG was 97% at 25 or 30 microns, that wouldn't bother me as much as the fact that they don't tell you where the measurement is taken. I seem to always come back to Purolator for some reason or another and this new synthetic offering is pretty much my filter of choice from now on unless I get a good deal on one of the premium offerings from one of the other guys.

joaks: They have had a PSL listed for both of my vehicles so no issues for me with availability so far.

The fact that Fram doesn't specify is what bothers me. If the XG was 97% at 25 or 30 microns, that wouldn't bother me as much as the fact that they don't tell you where the measurement is taken.

FRAM saying 97% @ >20 microns doesn't necessarily mean it's at 30 or 40 microns or ?? microns. They technically can't say "97% at >20 microns" when the the filter might really be 97% at 40 microns. Like I said above, technically ">20 microns" IMO pretty much means @ 20 microns for all practical purposes.

I looked at the 'synthetic' Purolator cartridge filter for my Ecotec and the filter material is different (more of a foam than a paper element). While I'm sure they are excellent I think the Purolator Classic or Pureone is more than sufficient for the 4 to 6K that mine will see.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I looked at the 'synthetic' Purolator cartridge filter for my Ecotec and the filter material is different (more of a foam than a paper element). While I'm sure they are excellent I think the Purolator Classic or Pureone is more than sufficient for the 4 to 6K that mine will see.

Agree.....I'm a PureOne user for several years now....and with a clean engine (like mine)....I feel 7500 is doable.

On my Sonata where I'll never go over 7500 mile OCI, the P1's are great. I'm using the PSL on my Chevy Colorado that can see up to 15k OCI as per the OLM, I feel better going with the PSL.

I'm already at 7500 on the chevy and with all the highway driving I've been doing and have coming in the future, I'm sure I'll make it to 10k on this OCI.

Originally Posted By: morris
to: john1944 correcting my spelling can be very big job. my Dyslexia causes me to take a long time to wright things. and i did not do good in school, but i did good in machine shop, and auto shop. i havent been keeping up with this theard.

morris, my understanding of Dyslexia is that you would write "dog" when you meant to write "god" - not "seam" for "seem". If you truly have Dyslexia, then please educate me if I misunderstand it.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
People who have to correct other peoples spelling on a chat board have some kind of issue. Just sayin' ...
whistle.gif

Zee0Six,

It's not that I "have to", the "issue" is that I "want to" raise the level of the "it's good enough" mentality in this country when it comes to communicating --- and everything else. Do you want to take someone else's word that your oil or oil filter is "good enough"? Or do you require some supporting data and facts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back