purolator Synthetic Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
New guy here, by the time i posted.... The dude said 20K on a classic filter......
i don't care if your filter is made by NASA! CHANGE it every six months,. Honestly, give me the cell .# of even one mechanic or engineer who says your doing good and i'll buy you dinner and drinks!
You know your engine agrees with me.
Cheers!

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I'm approaching 20K miles in a Purolator Classic oil filter with 3 OCI's.

Wow ... gotta see the inside of that filter. Hopefully there wasn't any flaw, like torn media early on (I had a classic with torn media). That's another good reason to change filters at every oil change.

Honda specs 20K mile oil filter intervals on the Civic for normal driving conditions. Since the car was purchased new... I know the engine is spotless from day one and this car sees 80% highway miles. I do 8K and two 6K oil changes with the oversized L-24458 filter.

I never understood why people post pictures of filters cut open with 5-6K miles on them and BITOG members say the filter looks great. And I'm thinking to myself why wouldn't a filter look good with such low miles on it ????

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Honda specs 20K mile oil filter intervals on the Civic for normal driving conditions. Since the car was purchased new... I know the engine is spotless from day one and this car sees 80% highway miles. I do 8K and two 6K oil changes with the oversized L-24458 filter.

I never understood why people post pictures of filters cut open with 5-6K miles on them and BITOG members say the filter looks great. And I'm thinking to myself why wouldn't a filter look good with such low miles on it ????

Having a clean engine is insurance that you can run a filter longer than normal. Only draw back is that you would never know if there was an internal flaw or failure that caused oil to bypass the media for 20K miles instead of 5K miles if it was changed earlier. You will never know until you cut it open.

The other thing to consider on an engine like yours is the fact that the filter bypass is built into the engine, and is set to around 8~10 psi which is pretty low in terms of most filter bypass settings. If the filter does get loaded up for some reason, then the bypass could be opening much more than if the filter was changed earlier.

I just don't take those chances for a $4~5 oil filter.

I ran a 40k oil change interval on red line with a Mobil 1 high capacity filter on my Mazda Tribute. Added about 4 quarts during that time. Engine was clean as a whistle under the valve cover and ran great.

There really is no reason a modern engine can't go that long. Most of the [censored] that got caught in older filters was carbonaceous material that got into the engine via blow by. Modern engines hold fuel mixtures much tighter around the stoichiometrically correct mixture that they don't produce as much dirt in the blow by. Roller cams don't shed metallic debris so there is no reason there should be much metal in the filter.

I think soon we will see lifetime engine oil just as we see lifetime transmission fluid now. Modern synthetics really are *that* much better than older oils. I believe BMW will be the first to adopt this strategy. Science rocks!

I work at the local Advance Auto, the Purolater oil filter your talking about is a fully synthetic media and is rated @ 10,000mi OCI. Excellent filter I use them myself. As a rule they run $9.99ea. In my estimation thats cheap for 10,000mi.....

Purolator is excited to bring you the next level of filtration from the inventors of the oil filter — Purolator Synthetic. Purolator Synthetic oil filters were designed specifically for synthetic oil users. This high premium filter provides you with the longest lasting engine protection within the Purolator line.

What's different about Purolator Synthetic Oil Filters?
Let's start with the media. The media in Purolator Synthetic Oil Filters is wire-backed. That means there's a wire-mesh that provides extra support to the media so that it remains intact and durable. It's also 100% synthetic so it's designed to work best with synthetic oils. The media in Purolator Synthetic Oil Filters is also 99%* efficient which means it removes 99% of all the dirt and junk that gets into your oil. 99%! AND, it's designed to trap and hold up to 27 grams* of that dirt and junk that could get into your engine and cause major repairs. So what does all this mean? Purolator Synthetic Oil Filters are a long-lasting filter, providing engine protection for 10,000 miles.

Synthetic, wire-backed media + 99% efficiency + 27 grams capacity = 10,000 mile protection

No Slip Grip
Purolator Synthetic Oil Filters feature a no slip grip control texture that covers the entire can, making the filter installation and removal easier!

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/SyntheticOilFilters.aspx

More along the lines of "Firearm ballistics testing" ... no ISO test for that, yet. But maybe I'll write one after I finish my research.
grin.gif

So far 2,000 miles on my Purolator Synthetic filter and no signs of leaks. Plus cold starts seem to make the engine rattle only for 1-2 seconds compared to 10 seconds on a base Fram. I paired it with Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30($27)and got the filter for $10 at Advanced. I told the guys at Advanced what oil I bought at Walmart and they haven't even heard of it o_O

I'll probably change the oil at 3,000 because I just made the switch over to synthetic.

Originally Posted By: morris
today i had the oil changed and the new Synthetic Oil Filter put in. drove for 10 miles all seams well.

When you say "all seams well", you are referring to the fact that none of the seams of the oil filter are leaking - right?

For those that do an OC and leave the filter in for additional service, do you take the filter off and drain it first?

Originally Posted By: k24a4
For those that do an OC and leave the filter in for additional service, do you take the filter off and drain it first?

Mixed bag ... but most will say just leave it on. Disturbing an already compressed gasket might impose some risk to leakage.

Originally Posted By: k24a4

This was my exact thoughts as well, I for one have done this a few times (left a higher dollar oil filter on for two 4,000-5,000 mile OCI's . I have done both, just left the filter on and alone, and ive also unscrewed it and dumped it, inspected the gasket, and pre-filled it and screwed it back on (just piece of mind). I have nothing scientific to provide other than stating the re-used and unscrewd filter re-sealed just fine. Either way worked out ok for me.

OK, thanks. I know the Honda manual says the oil filter can be used for two oil changes but I've always replaced it. The thought of old oil circulating with the new gets to me, that is why I asked if you dump the oil out of the filter first. I don't suppose the filter holds that much, half a cup to a cup?

To:john1944 "seams ok" means no oil on the ground. my body will not let me get on the ground. i am more than sure that a leak on the case will end up on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back