Purolator Pure One vs. Wix vs. Advanced

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a recovering Framaholic who has recently switched to PureOne. [ Before checking out this site, I had never even heard of Wix ( or maybe I thought it was an air freshener or something).]

I pay about $5.85 for the PureOne. I found a local Mom and Pop place that sells Wix filters for $5.00. I think that the Advanced store brand sells for $2.48 or something. [I REALLY like that sure-grip coating on the Advance filter. When I asked the guy behind the counter if Advanced was made by Purolator (as as I always see on this site) he told me that thhis was not the case. (I tend to believe this guy because he has talked me out of buying alot of stupid stuff over the years). ]

Is the "Advanced = Purolator" thing an Urban Legend?

Is Wix comparable to PureOne?

I don't know about the Advance=Purolator thing, but as far as Wix vs. Pure One, I use both. Well, the Napa Gold I use is made by Wix. Wix will flow a bit more, Pure One will filter a bit more.

The Advanced is a Purolator; it says made by Armin Merritor on the box (owner of Purolator). Best value for the dollar in filters IMO. I cut one open and it's indeintical to a premium plus. The only problem I've had with them (and a few Purolators) is peeling paint around the base of the filter.

PEELING PAINT!!!!!! Send in the Marines!! This is gonna get ugly quick
smile.gif

At the moment they seem to be a good deal, I am gonna be cutting my first used example in a week or 2 so I can compare the amount of media inside to a comparable Premium-Plus in my application (S10 trucks)..I bought several when they were half price...
The puro-boys have increased their parts house presence..
Rando

[ March 26, 2005, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: ZR2RANDO ]

"Is Wix comparable to PureOne?"

These are both well made "premium" filters in that they have somewhat more media area than most, finer medias and filtration, silicone anti-drainback valves, etc (not all part numbers have such features, but most do). Grease's "Mercruiser" study confirmed that PureOne had the finest filtration, although a few brands came close. It's currently my filter of choice, a few bucks cheaper than Wix. As for Wix, they always seem to keep their nose clean. Any time you read about a filter failing in some way, often with pictures to verify same, it's typically a Fram, Champion, or on occasion, a Purolator. The Wix's, from what I've heard, rarely fail, and are probably the best built, readily found (as opposed to say, Baldwin, Mahle, or Mann) filter available. Personally I'd put a Wix/Napa Gold on anything from a Viper to a Ferrari and never give it a second thought. If I was forced to use a Fram or Champion clicker on those rides, I'd have my fingers crossed the whole time.

WIX (and likely the Advanced Auto) give average filtrion. The WIX is very well constructed. The Purolator One filters out smaller particles.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
The Advanced is a Purolator; it says made by Armin Merritor on the box (owner of Purolator). Best value for the dollar in filters IMO. I cut one open and it's indeintical to a premium plus. The only problem I've had with them (and a few Purolators) is peeling paint around the base of the filter.

Agreed. Last year I opened equivalent Purolator Premium Plus and Advance Total Grip filters and they were identical (sans the outside finish). I posted pics and some basic measurements here.

I prefer flow rate over extreme filtering capabilities so I would opt for WIX or the AATG. Another good choice with good (average) filtration, excellent flow rate and high quality construction would be Hastings.

Pure one. I didn't care for a spacer I found under the ADBV in my wix, it requires metal to metal sealing, plus the Pure one filter has some of the best filtering available.

And.....don't always assume that just because the Advanced filter is made by Puralator that it has the same media as the Pure One.

quote:

Originally posted by doitmyself:
And.....don't always assume that just because the Advanced filter is made by Puralator that it has the same media as the Pure One.

I never did
dunno.gif
I assumed it was a Premium Plus!

I run Premium Plus (one that has a threaded end bypass--L40017) and Motorcraft FL1A, also with the threaded end bypass. Always thought the Pure One might be too restrictive. Have had good results (UOA) with the very low restriction Fleetguard LF697.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back