Purolator PL24651 post use dissection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: WellOiled

I should have bought and tried 1 each until I found the happy camper. Instead, I made an order with Rockauto for close out filters. It makes sense to buy a dozen just to get the shipping costs down. In hind sight, this really is a mistake.

I'll take off your hands whatever you don't want.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: WellOiled

I should have bought and tried 1 each until I found the happy camper. Instead, I made an order with Rockauto for close out filters. It makes sense to buy a dozen just to get the shipping costs down. In hind sight, this really is a mistake.

I'll take off your hands whatever you don't want.

This makes me chuckle. I plan to use them up except for the Motorcraft with rust on the outlet side of the filter. Even with a little startup rattle, the engine will likely outlast the transmission. If anything major goes, I will give you the rest of the stash.
wink.gif

1. The filter lost anti drain back valve function before 2827 miles yet the ADBV is in excellent shape.

Just curious how did they confirm this?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
1. The filter lost anti drain back valve function before 2827 miles yet the ADBV is in excellent shape.

Just curious how did they confirm this?

I use two different ways: a) Observed startup rattle starting at about 2000 miles into the oil change and b) By using the method below.

1. On a Ford Ranger with 4.0L V6, the filter is mounted with the base mostly up. The filter is at a slight angle from vertical. This makes it easy to do the next steps.

2. Run the vehicle long enough to get the oil in the sump hot. This way the oil viscosity will be low.

3. Park the vehicle where you intend to do the oil change and shut off the engine.

4. Wait at least 45 minutes to 1 hour.

5. Loosen the oil filter and carefully unscrew the filter keeping it upright so as not to spill any oil from the filter itself.

6. On a filter that has good ADBV function, there will be 3-4 oz of oil released and in general creating a mess to be cleaned up.

7. On a filter that has poor or no ADBV function, very little oil will be released. The topic filter released all of two teaspoons. I may have actually spilled the two teaspoons from the filter. It does take a steady hand.

8. The procedure does not require any special tools and can be performed by the DIYer or Professional alike.

Johnny, as to where the ADBV leak may be is another mystery: a leaky valve, the sealant used between the base plate and the gasket retaining plate or something else.

The ADBV is intended to keep oil in the filter, correct? Please explain how the quantity of oil pouring out of the engine after unscrewing the filter is an indication of ADBV function.

I would think it matters ( assuming spin-on filters ) if the filter is mounted with the threaded end up or down .

Originally Posted By: dbeau
The ADBV is intended to keep oil in the filter, correct? Please explain how the quantity of oil pouring out of the engine after unscrewing the filter is an indication of ADBV function.

Q: The ADBV is intended to keep oil in the filter, correct?
A: Yes

Q: Please explain how the quantity of oil pouring out of the engine after unscrewing the filter is an indication of ADBV function.
A: Remember, this filter is mounted with the base pointed up or mostly up. If the anti drain back function is working, there should be oil in the plumbing above the filter and also the filter should be full of oil. When you unscrew the filter to remove it, there should be a few ounces (2-4) of oil flowing out of the stud you mount the filter onto. If you only get a couple of teaspoons, the anti drain back function did not work.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
I would think it matters ( assuming spin-on filters ) if the filter is mounted with the threaded end up or down .

Correct. For the base up filter configuration, I have never had a completely empty filter. I do not access to a base down application to see what happens. I would guess the base down configuration would eventually empty the filter if the valve is leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back