Purolator oil filters for [censored] bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kballowe
55891971_Honda_SL100_K1_Candy_Ruby_Red.jpg

Sweeeeeet.

If I'm not mistaken, there are bikes made today that don't have oil filters -- some of the smaller dirt bikes. I think they might have a screen of some kind to capture the bigger bits, but otherwise the philosophy seems to be that a reasonable OCI will take care of things.

Originally Posted By: TucsonDon
Originally Posted By: Drew2000
Face reality. Most liquid-cooled Asian bikes will run forever on almost any dino or syn oil if changed at reasonable intervals.

You heretic. To suggest that an engine does not quiver on the edge of destruction based on the difference of a few parts per million of ZDDP is pure heresy.

Where's your sense of fun, man?
LOL.gif

I get alot of fun watching/listening to the squids at work changing out $15/quart Repsol RT syn at 800 miles! I've offered to change their oil for free if I can keep the "used" oil!

Drew

Originally Posted By: Lost1
I use only H-D filters on my three Harleys. The black 5-micron filter is only $8 from my dealer and I don't have to worry about bypass pressure, media quality, etc.

I use them on all my Harleys too. Actually that's the ONLY thing engine oil related I buy from Harley!

Last edited:
I have a '04 Honda VTX 1300 and I have been running the Purolator PL14610 (or L14610) with Rotella 15W40 for the last two years. My wife has a '04 Honda Aero, and I have been running the Purolator PL14612 (or L14612) with Rotella 15W40 in it for the last two years also. If I had a shred of evidence these filters or this oil was harming these engines in any way I would not use them. But the bikes always run great. I buy the Purolator filters at my local Advance Auto store.

Wow, do those pics bring back some memories!! A CL-65 "Street/Trail" I think it was, back in '69 or so. A guy down the road had a CB-305
20.gif
Then I got a CL-100, CL-350, various dirt bikes, then 750's, etc.. Back in the day, we started out small and worked up, now guys are buying 600's or more as "starter" bikes.
shocked2.gif
A lot of 'em don't last very long.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Lost1
I use only H-D filters on my three Harleys. The black 5-micron filter is only $8 from my dealer and I don't have to worry about bypass pressure, media quality, etc.

Exactly! And the 5 micron filtration level is important. The wix napa gold replacement for that is $5 but the filtration level is 19 microns. So, for the $3 I'll stick with the HD filter.

The current Honda Rebel CMX250 has no oil filter. As far as I can tell, the engine's bullet proof.
From the slightly slanted material presented by those who stand to benefit from filter sales, I have learned that fine filtration is important. If you're looking for the "right" filter, then go for the lowest micron at the highest flow both in the oil and air filter. The rest just seem to be the rest. Anyway, manufacturers material notwithstanding, seems to make sense to me.

Oh yeah, the word "Genuine" is code for "Relabled". Harley's Genuine oil filters are the lowest bid Harley could get and still put their name on it. I don't think I'm too impressed with any maintenance parts that have the MC or car manufacturers name on it. It's just a way to get me to separate with my hard earned dollars.
IMHO that is.
Steve

Originally Posted By: hi-miler
Oh yeah, the word "Genuine" is code for "Relabled". Harley's Genuine oil filters are the lowest bid Harley could get and still put their name on it. I don't think I'm too impressed with any maintenance parts that have the MC or car manufacturers name on it. It's just a way to get me to separate with my hard earned dollars.
IMHO that is.
Steve

Try to find an automotive oil filter with the same filtration rating and bypass pressure specs of the HD filter. I have tried and can't find one. Purolator makes a filter for HD that meets those specs but it is not in their automotive line up which has filtration levels of 10-20 microns. Plus you have to special order it and it's just as expensive.

I belive it did have a centrifugal filter.

Item 9 in
http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb100-super-sport-k2-us_model409/partslist/E++07.html

the above figure is a cup on the end of the crankshaft with a lip around the open end. Oil runs through it and the heavy stuff sticks to the inside of the cup.

A lot of Honda owners didn't realize they were there and never cleaned them.

My 1969 CB350 had one as did my 1972? SL125.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: hi-miler
IMHO that is.
Steve

Try to find an automotive oil filter with the same filtration rating and bypass pressure specs of the HD filter. I have tried and can't find one. Purolator makes a filter for HD that meets those specs but it is not in their automotive line up which has filtration levels of 10-20 microns. Plus you have to special order it and it's just as expensive.

have ya tried Pep Boys, they carry specific puralator mc filters

I put the Fram MC filter back on the shelf and reused the one that was on the bike I bought. Not that I have a problem with a new Fram, but it was $9. I was wondering what auto filter I could substitute. I know the guys here have the knowledge and resources to figure it out. I have dial-up internet anyway, surfing is not much fun.

I have a 1991 GSX 750 (23k). The Fram nummber started with a 9 and had like 4 digits. lol, I know that's weak, but you guys know your (censored). Thanks.

Don't think so.
Suzuki uses a odd ball thread on their cycle filters; no auto
maker uses that same thread.
Sorry.
STP has cycle filters, as does seveal other filter mfgs, but finding them will be a chore and they price is about the same as you found on the Fram
Fram #6018 BTW.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I put the Fram MC filter back on the shelf and reused the one that was on the bike I bought. Not that I have a problem with a new Fram, but it was $9. I was wondering what auto filter I could substitute. I know the guys here have the knowledge and resources to figure it out. I have dial-up internet anyway, surfing is not much fun.

I have a 1991 GSX 750 (23k). The Fram nummber started with a 9 and had like 4 digits. lol, I know that's weak, but you guys know your (censored). Thanks.

Don't you mean PH6018? According to the Fram cross-reference, the filter for your bike is a PH6018.

Just sayin.

Suzuki has a proprietary thread ( 20 x 1mm ). The rest have 20 x 1.5mm threads or 3/4" x 16tpi threads.

Here's a listing of some filters that "should" fit, not that I'm recommending any of them.

AMSOil SMF 109
Bike Master 314-0025
Champion PH7016
Cycle Power 314-1919
Emgo 10-55662
Emgo 10-55660
Fram PH6018
Hi-Flo HF138
J.C.Whitney ZX063166P
K&N 138
NAPA 1359 / WIX 51359
Parts Unlimited