Purolator now making Bosch Premiums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up some 3422 Bosch Premium filters today and noticed that the baseplates are stamped with the same numbers (3, 4 & 16) as on Premium Plus, PureONE & AA Total Grip filters.

Has Purolator always made the Bosch Premium filters or is this just a result of the Bosch takeover? Except for cosmetics, the Bosch Premiums seem to be PureONE clones...with the exception of the gasket on the baseplate. Both claim 98% filtration efficiency, both have silicone ADBV's and both have the same bypass valve. Not a bad deal for $3 (on sale at CSK).

It's a result of the Bosch takeover of Purolator. Bosch Premiums were previously made by Champion Labs (check previous threads for all the info you'd want to know).

The Bosch Premium 3422 made by Champion Labs was a quality filter...the ones made in the U.S. had a spring bypass instead of the clicker. Which car(s) are you using it on?

Maybe Bosch and Purolator just buy their baseplates from the same baseplate manufacturer.
wink.gif

Picked up some Bosch from Kragen buy 1 get one free. The new ones look like Purolator design. Without tearing it apart, qualty is improved. Cases are thicker, and filters are much heavier. Looks like a good filter for the price. BTW Still Made in USA

Quote:

Anyone know what level of Purolator they're producing with the Bosche Premium? Probably the L series, but possibly the PureOne?
dunno.gif

I suspect the Bosch filters will be like the Motorcraft: They'll have the silcone ADBV from the PureOne and the element from the std Purolator.

Quote:

I suspect the Bosch filters will be like the Motorcraft: They'll have the silcone ADBV from the PureOne and the element from the std Purolator.

That would be the best of both worlds right? Some think the PureOne element is too thick.

Are the Bosch casings and boxes different colors now or does it all look the same??

Re read my post. Must have been hallucinating. Cases are not as thick as "past" Bosch filters model 3410.

By the "squeeze" test cases are the same thickness as Motorcraft Fl-820S and Purolator Premium Plus L24651. Case looks identical to the Purolator. Motorcraft is slightly taller. Anti Drain back valve appears to be silicon. By- pass valve is still on top as is the Purolator. Motorcraft is right below Anti drain back valve on bottom of filter. Center tube holes are large like the Motorcraft filter (identical). Much larger than on Purolator. Metal base plates appear to be the same. Don't know about media.

Boxes and colors are the same at least for now. Top of pre Purolator filters have Pat Pending as well as Made in USA painted on top. Purolator made filters just have long number painted on the top. Also looking inside to the top of the filter easily identifies the filter as a Purolator as the by pass valve can be seen

I dont know much about the valves and such but the new ones are better right?

I looked at the 3323's they had (only 2 on shelf) and they must be the old ones - box bottom said 2004, dark red rubber piece inside (bypass or ADBV?) and base stamped with a Y.

Looked at a couple other models and box bottom said 2006, rubber piece was bright red/more pinkish, and base stamped with #'s such as what OP mentioned. These are the new ones obviously right?

How long have they had these? I wonder how long I'll have to wait before they get a new 3323.

Sounds like our worries of Bosch filters replacing purolators are unfounded, it's the other way around. The Bosch sounds like a better deal now. At least for $3.

I too went and snagged two Bosch Premium at Checker's buy one get one free deal... They were Bosch #3323.

The first one was a Champ labs filter, looked identical to a Supertech ST7317, with the blue plastic peice at top, and rough 6-hole dark baseplate with a Y stamped on it. Orange silicone ADBV.

I was very intrigued to find that the second filter (same box, part#, etc) was a different animal altogether. I've used Purolators many times in the past, and the baseplate gave it away that this was a Purolator I was holding in my hand. It'll have a rather shiny baseplate with 8 small holes. Also has an orange silicone ADBV. Looking inside the filter there is at least one or two areas where the pleats are quite unevenly spaced.

Anyone care to guess which is the better Bosch filter? The Champ Labs variant I have is made in Mexico, Purolator is made in USA. The purolator is about 1/4" taller, and although it's hard to say, seems a little sturdier and possibly heaver than the Champ Labs.

Why would they use their more expensive Pure One filter to rebadge as the Bosch instead of using their cheaper PPlus? Don't the Pure One's sell for more than the Bosch?

92saturnsl2, did the boxes have different dates, as I mentioned above?

Yeah the Purolator bears a 2006 copyright, while the older Champ Labs variant says 2004.

The Bosch filters aren't cheap by any stretch, they normally sell for around 6$ at Autozone/CSK here. I grabbed them only because they were b1/g1 free. I would imagine considering the price similarity and the silicon ADBV that they would be rebadged pure-ones. I cut one apart (see my other post), but I don't have the Premium plus or Pure-one media to compare it to.

This old thread confirms what I remember. I just replaced the last existing ST 3950 with an L 10193. I had relieved my Wally's of the last of their clearanced ones. They were even the old non clicker bypass. Needing a new source, I jumped on AAP's Purolator and 5 quarts of Pennzoil deal last summer. I remembered Purolator as a good filter. I have wondered how they will hold up under Botch. I was surprised the box and filter said nothing about Bosch, but said product of ArvinMeritor. The filter didn't look quite like I remember Purolators. Did they always have such a fat inner tube and the bypass on the closed end? Did AAP come by a stock of old filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back