[Cut Open] Bosch D+ and PureONE

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Bosch D+ and PureONE oil filters are excellent oil filters. However, there has been some disagreement as to whether these are the same filters in different packages or different filters. To try and answer these questions, I cut open a new Bosch D3330 and a new P1 PL10241, the filters recommended for my vehicle.

As will be seen later, the filters are the same diameter and height, but their other physical characteristics differ:

Code:

Measurement D3330 PL10241

Total Weight 346 gm 255 gm

Baseplate Wt 187 gm 125 gm

Empty Can Wt 74 gm 48 gm

Filter Wt 73 gm 70 gm

Filter Pleats 57 65

The Bosch D+ is a more robust filter than the PureONE. The baseplate and can are both heavier than the P1.

In the following photos, the D+ is always on the left.

Packaging:
BoschDVsPureOne-1.jpg

Filters:
BoschDVsPureOne-2.jpg

Baseplates:
BoschDVsPureOne-3.jpg

The Bosch baseplate has 8 round holes, while the Pure baseplate has 7 oblong holes.

Cut Open:
BoschDVsPureOne-5.jpg

Both ADBVs are silicone, despite the difference in color.

Taken Apart:
BoschDVsPureOne-6.jpg

Both filters use flat springs to hold everything together.

Bypass Valves:
BoschDVsPureOne-7.jpg

Very different bypass valves.

Center Tubes:
BoschDVsPureOne-8.jpg

The center tubes appear to be identical.

Filter Elements:
BoschDvsPureOneCloseup.jpg

On cursory examination, the two filters appear to have the same filter element. As can be seen by this closeup, the PureONE element is slightly lighter in color and not as thick as the D+ filter.

The bottom line is that these are clearly not the same filter in different packages.

Both are beautiful filters, with the Bosch a tad better. I wouldn't hesitate in using either one. I wonder how much better the Distance+ is compared to the regular black Bosch I use now?

Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
I'd use the Distance + over the PureOne.

And for 7k mile or less OCIs, I'd use the PureOne.

Thanks OC for taking one (actually two) for the board. As river_rat's tests also showed, they are not the same filter. Both do advertise 99.9% efficiency.

As for the bypass, the P1 here uses the flat spring type as opposed the the coil spring type on the BDP. The BDP as advertised and confirmed here, has a thicker can and baseplate and ~double the holding capacity. fyi, larger P1's like the PL14459 also use the coil spring type bypass, this size app must be right on the borderline.

Now for the cost difference, not shown. The everyday AAP price of the BDP is ~$13.50, the P1 ~$6-7 on Amazon and now $5 on AAP. So, average oci usage would be a consideration. P1 ~7500 mi, BDP 10-12+k. Both are excellent deals now with rebates and AAP codes. I wouldn't pay the everyday BDP price.

Thanks for the effort and expense.
I've got some of each in my stash, and it looks like the D+ is worth a premium over the P1.
Of course, I paid ST prices for the D+ filters after AAP discount code and MIR, and the P1s were about a buck each after the same.
Still, the D+ looks like a good winter filter, where there might be high transient pressures when cold, as well as a willingness on my part to extend OCIs during the colder months of the year.
Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: Donald
Can you expand on the bypass valve description(s)?

The squiggly doodad you see on the P1 appears to be the spring holding the bypass valve closed.

The Bosch D+ has a coil spring inside the center tube that keeps its bypass valve closed.

Of the two, I like the Bosch D+ arrangement better.

Originally Posted By: dkryan

This is kinda where I'm at. My driving pattern (55-70/20 miles or longer) has my Fusion telling me I can go 13000-14000 on an OCI. I'll probably use two P1s and change at 7000 but run the D+ for the full OCI. It'll be interesting to see what the particle counts look like.

Thanks for doing this comparison.

Granted, I could use conventional oil and a Fram filter and never have an oil related problem with my engine. But even though I know that, I still use synthetic oil and a PureOne filter (which if you wait for the annual rebate Purolator seems to do, really doesn't cost much).

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy

This is kinda where I'm at. My driving pattern (55-70/20 miles or longer) has my Fusion telling me I can go 13000-14000 on an OCI. I'll probably use two P1s and change at 7000 but run the D+ for the full OCI. It'll be interesting to see what the particle counts look like.

Particle counts!
banana2.gif

The PureONE is closer to a Bosch PREMIUM, not a Bosch D+.

Thanks for the pics.

Excellent pics, and thanks for your sacrifice!

I don't really get how people are getting these filters confused. Everybody knows the difference between a Purolator Classic and a PureOne. How come nobody can differentiate a Bosch Premium filter, and a Bosch Distance+?!

The Bosch Premium in the black box and black paint is the one that is very similar to a P1.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy

If the oil life monitor indicates 13-14k miles OCI according to your driving patterns, the OEM oil filter for the Fusion is Motorcraft which is a good filter but it's not better than P1. If Motorcraft can go the distance then P1 sure will do too, no need to change P1 half way of an OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back