Purolator L14610 Cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
After watching what I've referred to as the creme dela creme of oil filter cutters in operation, thinking my ~$15 Harbor Freight exhaust cutter is a solid value for filter dissection. Looks like the Longacre too requires finesse to open the can, but for ~$40 more.

Good to get to see the other side of the pleating away from the seam in the yt, look straight and uniform. Thanks for the yt.

That was my first time using the Longacre tool and fully admit it kinda kicked my butt. Hopefully the next time will be a little easier. Looking back I think I was using to much pressure when I had to use the rag.

If those pleats next to the seam where potted into the end caps with a more spread out "V" shape at their ends, then they probably would have torn.

DSC00021.JPG

Like this ...

DSCF7137a.jpg

Originally Posted By: 1foxracing
That was my first time using the Longacre tool and fully admit it kinda kicked my butt. Hopefully the next time will be a little easier. Looking back I think I was using to much pressure when I had to use the rag.

What you need is a filter cup wrench and a 3/8'' drive ratchet.

Hold the cutter with one hand and turn the filter with the cup wrench.

Originally Posted By: 1foxracing
Video of me cutting the filter, wanted to do this to prove I didn't cut the pleats myself if they would have been torn.

shocked2.gif
... you were making me nervous after you removed the filter from the cutter and started yanking on it. One wrong slip and that sharp metal will cut you good.

Thing you need to do is keep the filter on the cutter until the can is cut all the way through and the top of the can lifts free off the base end. Just keep turning the cutting wheel in more until the cut is 100% through all around the can.

Not to worry, you guys should watch me make crown molding with my table saw. I'll get more practice in the next few weeks as I start taking motorcycles out and preparing them for riding season.

Originally Posted By: HangFire

Thanks for a little peace of mind.

Indeed. Glad your filter didn't fail. Made my morning to see the Purolator intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back