Purolator L10111 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was in service for approximately 1,000 miles on my Firebird with the 3800 V6. I took it off early due to the tearing I have experienced with a couple of their filters that I have cut open. Please excuse the cut marks I accidentally made on the filter media with my Dremel, those are my fault, not Purolator's. I guess I should have kept this filter on longer -- no issues to be found with this one. Date code dates this filter to 2013.

Here are the pics:
20140804_190927_resized_zps758e0ea3.jpg

20140804_191758_resized_zps75266689.jpg

20140804_191911_resized_zpsa634ab6b.jpg

20140804_191952_resized_zpsad721584.jpg

Just FYI:

When I cut into the can with the Dremel cut-off wheel, I cut into the can where it goes over the base plate; that way if there's any damage, it'll be to the base plate.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Just FYI:

When I cut into the can with the Dremel cut-off wheel, I cut into the can where it goes over the base plate, that way if there's any damage, it'll be to the base plate.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but I used to cut the filters closer to the base plate, but it would hit the end cap occasionally, causing my cut-off wheel to wear down much quicker.

Well, I'll cut open mine at 3K (be a while I'm a low-mileage driver, probably be October before I change. Looking at it, it looks fine.

ZEE0SIX won't be happy to see this.

Originally Posted By: telecat
Well, I'll cut open mine at 3K (be a while I'm a low-mileage driver, probably be October before I change. Looking at it, it looks fine.

Looking forward to it!

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but I used to cut the filters closer to the base plate, but it would hit the end cap occasionally, causing my cut-off wheel to wear down much quicker.

OK I can see exactly where you cut it; you cut it way above the base plate where the media is. Look at the part number L10111 - the base plate will be below the L, but immediately above the seam. When you cut into it, they'll be a an air gap between the can and the base plate. All you have to do is sink your cut-off wheel deep enough to go into the can; you don't have to go all the way down to the base plate.

Really?
smirk2.gif
I don't know what your "issue" is, but you should get it checked out.
grin.gif

Of course this one would never tear because the V-spread on the pleats is very small. Widely spaced pleats that have very little V-spread will not tear.

The glued seam looks a little flaky in terms of a complete seal job though.
grin.gif

OK I can see exactly where you cut it; you cut it way above the base plate where the media is. Look at the part number L10111 - the base plate will be below the L, but immediately above the seam. When you cut into it, they'll be a an air gap between the can and the base plate. All you have to do is sink your cut-off wheel deep enough to go into the can; you don't have to go all the way down to the base plate.

Or just cut off the dome end ... lots more "free space" up there.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Really?
smirk2.gif
I don't know what your "issue" is, but you should get it checked out.
grin.gif

Of course this one would never tear because the V-spread on the pleats is very small. Widely spaced pleats that have very little V-spread will not tear.

grin.gif

I was wondering about that seam... makes me wonder if dirt/debris could get through that.

grin.gif

I was wondering about that seam... makes me wonder if dirt/debris could get through that.

Shine a flash light inside the center tube and see if you can see any light leakage through the glued seam line. Or better yet, cut the media out of the element and try the flash light trick ... easier to get light on the backside with the media removed.

Talking about Trolling to the extreme...It's almost like pre-trolling without any content just to get be an attention who.re...

To the OP. I definitely understand jumping the gun on the filter change on the purolator filters. But from the looks of the 1k run it seems like it would have been fine. It's sad that Purolator has caused so much anxiety within the BITOG community to the point where we are pulling Purolator filters so early.

As always thanks for cutting and posting!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Umibozu

Talking about Trolling to the extreme...It's almost like pre-trolling without any content just to get be an attention who.re...

To the OP. I definitely understand jumping the gun on the filter change on the purolator filters. But from the looks of the 1k run it seems like it would have been fine. It's sad that Purolator has caused so much anxiety within the BITOG community to the point where we are pulling Purolator filters so early.

As always thanks for cutting and posting!

11.gif

..of course, the larger question is what filter he installed after the Purolator was removed prematurely...

Originally Posted By: Noey
..of course, the larger question is what filter he installed after the Purolator was removed prematurely...

Check the signature.
grin.gif

It's sad that Purolator has caused so much anxiety within the BITOG community to the point where we are pulling Purolator filters.

I was buying a cheap filter at wally's tonight and i strayed from the purolator because of all the banter on here.

No Thanks. I don't want to run into the spring.

No Thanks. I don't want to run into the spring.

The "leaf spring"? Doubt that's gonna matter much to a cut-off wheel. Just cut deep enough to cut the can, don't plunge the wheel all the way into the filter.

Better yet ... buy a real filter cutter.
grin.gif

The "leaf spring"? Doubt that's gonna matter much to a cut-off wheel. Just cut deep enough to cut the can, don't plunge the wheel all the way into the filter.

Better yet ... buy a real filter cutter.
grin.gif

My method works fine for me. I will buy a filter cutter as soon as I get over my addiction of Italian salads. The price of mozzarella cheese in this economy is around $5.00 a pound these days.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back