Purolator Introduces New Filter for Synthetic Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like these all syn filters are made by the same manufacture,C/L and Donaldson.

we'll know when we see the base plate on the new P1.

Originally Posted By: daman
It seems like these all syn filters are made by the same manufacture,C/L and Donaldson.

we'll know when we see the base plate on the new P1.

I'm sure Purolator will be manufacturing it ... doubt they are going to hire their competition to make their filters.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: JOD
If I were a betting man, I'd wager that this filter will flow similarly to the RP filters (since they're made in the same plant).

What?

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: JOD
If I were a betting man, I'd wager that this filter will flow similarly to the RP filters (since they're made in the same plant).

What?

oops, you're right, they're made by Champion. Still, I have to wonder if the media used is the same?

I'm going to look for the new Purolator Synthetic Filters in my neck of the woods! Often when a new product hits the market at autoparts stores in my area, the stores(and MFG Rebate) try to promote them by putting them on sale right away. This may be the time to get a stash of them before the sale & rebates are done/expiered!

I post if I hear/see any specials going on!
And also, if the new Puro Syn Filt's are the same as the Bosch D+, maybe there will be a price war between the two.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
personally i will take flow over filtration any time

What filter brand / model do you prefer?

He does have a good point. If any time your oil flow is interrupted you will have major wear in a short period of time. if the oil pressure or flow is light at the far end of the engine and its not getting proper lubrication there will be damage from it or at least very accelerated wear.

But a filter cant get out the abrasive silicon in the oil and cant filter out iron and other metals that cause wear or even water or fuel isnt filtered just basically chunks and grains are filtered.

Using a good qual filter that is rated for your application and changing it at the proper time seems to be the best bet.

I wonder when Purolator will update their website to show the new filter. NAPA doesn't offer their new Platinum oil filter for my car and I'm curious to know if Purolator will.

Originally Posted By: abycat
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
personally i will take flow over filtration any time

What filter brand / model do you prefer?

He does have a good point. If any time your oil flow is interrupted you will have major wear in a short period of time. if the oil pressure or flow is light at the far end of the engine and its not getting proper lubrication there will be damage from it or at least very accelerated wear.

But a filter cant get out the abrasive silicon in the oil and cant filter out iron and other metals that cause wear or even water or fuel isnt filtered just basically chunks and grains are filtered.

Using a good qual filter that is rated for your application and changing it at the proper time seems to be the best bet.

But this would never happen,,,flow wouldn't be hampered because of the bypass valve,worse case it would see plenty of dirty oil.

I hope they offer it for cartridge filters. So far I can't find any synthetic media cartridges for my Mariner.

Have you considered a Mann filter?

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
I hope they offer it for cartridge filters. So far I can't find any synthetic media cartridges for my Mariner.

Have you considered a Mann filter?

Are they a micro-glass media?

Mann filters (who also own Purolator) work fine for conventional and synthetic oils.... with extended OCI's.

Amsoil...ironically, if there isn't a eA oil filter application, then they will recommend a Mann filter instead.

Amsoil only offers 1 cartridge filter, and it is for iirc, certain powerstroke motors

i use purolator classics for 10K OCI's and have 366K miles on my volvo...have cut open lots of them and they are fine. I really don't understand the need for synthetic material or the muliple grades. I think more marketing than need. Though I'm sure they are higher quality.

Mann filters (who also own Purolator) ...

I thought it was Bosch who was part owner of Purolator.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Mann filters (who also own Purolator) ...

I thought it was Bosch who was part owner of Purolator.
whistle.gif

It's both.

Originally Posted By: db500
i use purolator classics for 10K OCI's and have 366K miles on my volvo...have cut open lots of them and they are fine. I really don't understand the need for synthetic material or the muliple grades. I think more marketing than need. Though I'm sure they are higher quality.

A lot depends on your type of driving. My wife's Tahoe trips the OLM at approximately 3900-4200 miles in the winter-it is truely severe service-it could probably benefit from enhanced filtration. If your 10K OCI is mostly highway like mine, probably not

This may have been answered already, but has it been announced when the filter is going to be available for purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back