Purolator classic issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im wondering if I have two good filters on my hands:

When I bought my Honda Feb 2013, the guy gave me 2 filters that he wasnt going to need.

One I recognised immediately, a Purolator classic in the box that we all currently know.

The other is in a darker blue blox and is labelled Purolator Premium Plus. Ive never seen these before.

From looking at these, side by side, its obvious to me that the "Premium plus" became the "classic" and im guessing they are identical internally, am I right?

The filters both have the L14459, look identical apart from the slightly different print.

If I need to look into it further I will translate these codes to see when they were made:
the classic has F10 C07D1 manf code and the Premium plus has F02 V04D2 manf code.

Am I right that these are both made before you guys started seeing tearing issues with the classics?

The Premium Plus has been gone for at least a few years now.
It should be okay and if the white can is of similar vintage, and it probably is, it should be fine as well.

When did the issues that we're currently seeing start showing up?

Have Purolator themselves responded to these issues?

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Use it for a short OCI, don't push it. Probably be fine.

My thoughts exactly.

Okay, many manufacturers have stated that filters have a shelf life of 5 years. Nobody has mentioned this yet.

I would not use any filter older than 5 years old, IMHO. It may be fine, but it may deteriorate as well. I would not chance it with how cheap filters are.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
First reported issue was in 2009 iirc. The older can certainly pre dates that.

I saw this back in May 2011, and had never seen any others reported here before that. The big rash of reported tears have been in the last 3 or 4 months.

Link: Purolator Classic Tear - May 2011

The date code on the filter that was reported in the link above was F08A26D1 = 8/26/2009.

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser

If I need to look into it further I will translate these codes to see when they were made:
the classic has F10 C07D1 manf code and the Premium plus has F02 V04D2 manf code.

F10C07D1 = Oct 7, 2009

F02V04D2 = Feb 4, 2004

C = 2009 so V = 2004.

Keep the pretty metallic blue Purolator, wax it up nice and shiny and keep it as a souvenir.
grin.gif

Thank you, gents for the replies and especially MR.codebreaker ZeeOsix !

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser

F10C07D1 = Oct 7, 2009

F02V04D2 = Feb 4, 2004

C = 2009 so V = 2004.

Keep the pretty metallic blue Purolator, wax it up nice and shiny and keep it as a souvenir.
grin.gif

Thanks guys.

So this filter was a Purolator Classic clone (PowerFlo) that was over 10 years old when installed. It was run nearly 10K and looked good. It definitely shows that the older Puros were well made.

I really do wonder if Purolator quality went down when they started selling for $3.27 at Walmart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back