PureOne vs Mobil 1 vs Amsoil in Non-Extended Drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: pzev
Also have to remember the Amsiol filter has a metal screen behind the filter media...this would add more weight.

I gotta give Purolator credit for the gold flakey [censored] everywhere. I didn't see any in the filter in this pic (have in the past), but it made it to the sealing gasket...

They had a problem with the flecks early on, and resolved that issue. For the money for a normal drain filter the P1 can't be beat!
\

Look at the above pics. The gold flecks made it all the way to the sealing gasket.
They shouldn't even have made it that far.

I will agree, minus the wear particles, they are a good filter....just inspect them carefully upon purchase.

Originally Posted By: Jdblya
Does that Donaldson have the same type of mesh filter element inside that the amsoil filter does?

Donaldson owns the license to the media AMSOIL uses.

It's rated efficiency (for the media) in the P559000 filter (huge OTR truck filter) is:

Using ISO4548/12 at 10 microns:

at 150lpm, 85%
at 105lpm, 89%

I was told that the Amsoil filter is built with parts from several different manufacturers, and that it is not just "Made for Amsoil by xxxxxxxxx" If you look at the Donaldson, you can see for sure they are not identical, but I'm wondering if the media is identical? Could Amsoil be padding their specs? They do seem to do a lot of ISO testing, so I'm sure they want to build their company on reputation for quality, and not over inflated claims. But who knows......

Originally Posted By: Jdblya
I was told that the Amsoil filter is built with parts from several different manufacturers, and that it is not just "Made for Amsoil by xxxxxxxxx" If you look at the Donaldson, you can see for sure they are not identical, but I'm wondering if the media is identical? Could Amsoil be padding their specs? They do seem to do a lot of ISO testing, so I'm sure they want to build their company on reputation for quality, and not over inflated claims. But who knows......

The AMSOIL filters are assembled by WIX and Donaldson, depending on the application as far as I know.

They license the SYNTEQ media from Donaldson.

If you take a look at the specs I posted above, those are at TEN microns, not 15 or 20. You will be hard-pressed to find a PCMO filter with its efficiency rating at 10-microns given at 150 and 150lpm.

An interesting piece of info:

Going to WIX's site, and putting in the Donaldson P559000 as a cross yields this:

Part Number: 57746XD
UPC Number: 765809527461
Principal Application: Cummins ISX, ISM Engines (For longer version, use 57745XD)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Glass
Height: 11.791
Outer Diameter Top: 4.650
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 95X2.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None
Burst Pressure-PSI: 305
Max Flow Rate: 34-38 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 35

Well, let's keep the fine details correct here.
grin2.gif
Amsoil is licensed to produce its own media using Donaldson's SYNTEQ process. So, all the process credit goes to Donaldson in the development of their sprayed fine filament silly string method (or so it sorta looks like to me
54.gif
) ..but it's produced in Amsoil's own job shop. A minor distinction, but (how did that Hee-Haw show say it?) "you'll never hear us repeating gossip, so you had better get it right the first time"
LOL.gif

The filters are indeed produced by either filter manufacturer depending on the filter in question. I don't know what criteria they use to determine that.

Gary: Sorry, my "license the SYNTEQ media from Donaldson" comment was inferring that they produce it in-house, using the process licensed from Donaldson.

I could see how it could be read otherwise though.

It's not really to nitpick. It's just by the time it hits 3rd or 4th person it's going to end up "Yeah, Amsoil has Donaldson cook up a super duper SYTEQ media just for them that's shipped to WIX for assembly"
LOL.gif

I wish we could find out if they just rebadge the FL1A version of the Endurance line. That would be a no brainer. Throw a silicon ADBV and put it in a EaO can.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Is it a silicon ADBV? After 7 months on my EaO11 it causes my engine to rattle a bit.

Yes. It doesn't mean that it wasn't responsible for the rattle. Any filter can have the ADBV leak. The silicon ones just do it rarely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back