PureOne vs Mobil 1 vs Amsoil in Non-Extended Drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SHAMUS
SORRY FOR THE MULTIPLE POSTINGS!
blush.gif
But also just tried to call Royal Purple for efficiency ratings on their filter and, was given the same 800 number as Mobil 1's: to Champion. Does anyone know if Champion is owned by China?
banana2.gif

Great info! so according to Mobil, there filtration is not as good as the PureOne. That is crazy. I used the pureone filter years and years ago, before I recently started using the Amsoil EA filters once they came out. I really may switch back to the PureOne on all my vehicles if I keep getting the good info about them like I have been seeing. Except that I still have 3 Ea filters for my Mitsubishi, so I'm sure I will use them before purchasing any other ones. However, the Ram and the Boat I'm sure are going to see those new ugly yellow filters installed on them next oil change =)

No! The PureONE is 99.9% at 20 microns; the M1 is 99.2%. The 92.8% is the PureONE at 10 microns - the M1 is 50%! So at 10 microns, you are paying twice as much and getting half the filtration with the M1!

Last edited:
Once again, the M1 is an extended drain filter designed for long use cycles. It makes sense you would loose filter efficiency because of this.
Look at the Fram tough guard (99% efficiency), and the fram extended guard (97% efficiency)...the Extended guard is their long drain filter.

:!Agreed. As I said; if kept under 10k or thereabouts, the PureONE is fantastic! HOWEVER: On Fram's site, they state their efficiencies with the symbol ">", meaning "greater than." So, they are saying 99% efficiency with particles GREATER THAN 20 microns. Sorry!
frown.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SHAMUS
:!Agreed. As I said; if kept under 10k or thereabouts, the PureONE is fantastic!

Agreed!

Originally Posted By: pzev
Once again, the M1 is an extended drain filter designed for long use cycles. It makes sense you would loose filter efficiency because of this.
Look at the Fram tough guard (99% efficiency), and the fram extended guard (97% efficiency)...the Extended guard is their long drain filter.

Agreed

So today I was at the parts store, and I grabbed a 30001 PureOne Filter (this would be a Ford FL1A large, 302 filter) and was a little surprised that it seemed to be about 1/3 the weight of the Amsoil Eao15 filters that I am used to running. So grabbed a M1 filter, and it seemed to weight about twice what the PureOne did. You can tell a lot of the weight is in the base plate, but I am wondering if that Pureone filter is missing something compared to the others? I've read here about larger filters having less filter material?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you could answer your own question by buying a larger Pure One, cutting it open, and then posting pictures here. That way you could put to rest the unproven rumors.

Missing something? What would that be? Bypass valve? Silicone adbv? Metal center tube? Metal end caps? Media?

The picture posted here give the stats of the new 30001. It looks fairly stout to me and far from lacking something, including media. The Motorcraft FL-1A would be very similar in construction, as it too is Purolator made.

All that said, it's not an Amsoil filter and most knowledgable people buying a Pure One understand that. As for the M1, if you prefer it for about the twice the cost of a Pure One or Motorcraft then so be it. But I was under the impression this thread was about non extended drains.
21.gif
Even though, I'd have no problem running a Pure One to 10k.

Can thickness is the big weight difference. The M1 is packing a super tough can, as I would assume the EAO would be.
Can thickness shouldn't matter much unless your running 20w-50 in super cold conditions, and decide to gun the engine.

Yeah I'm sure they are different. The Amsoil filter is quite a bit heavyer than the M1, and the M1 is a pretty hefty filter in its own. I think I may cut open one of these PureOne filters to see what is actually in it.

The mounting base on the Amsoil filters seems to be extremely heavy duty also, which I am sure add to the weight. Here are pictures of the same application Amsoil Eao15 and P1 30001, and you can see the difference in the base design

CIMG3152.jpg

CIMG3153.jpg

CIMG3156.jpg

CIMG3155.jpg

Also have to remember the Amsiol filter has a metal screen behind the filter media...this would add more weight.

I gotta give Purolator credit for the gold flakey [censored] everywhere. I didn't see any in the filter in this pic (have in the past), but it made it to the sealing gasket...

Originally Posted By: pzev
Also have to remember the Amsiol filter has a metal screen behind the filter media...this would add more weight.

I gotta give Purolator credit for the gold flakey [censored] everywhere. I didn't see any in the filter in this pic (have in the past), but it made it to the sealing gasket...

They had a problem with the flecks early on, and resolved that issue. For the money for a normal drain filter the P1 can't be beat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back