PureOne filter over spray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, what's the consensus? I ordered some from Amazon.com (great price BTW)and noticed some over spray. Not a big deal or do a little cleaning? If so, how?

Thanks

You mean paint on the base of the filter?

Even I'm not anal enough to clean that, but I'm all for it if it's your time.

Originally Posted By: shrooms
Ok, what's the consensus? I ordered some from Amazon.com (great price BTW)and noticed some over spray. Not a big deal or do a little cleaning? If so, how?

Thanks

I've ran across the same over spray issue on the PureONEs I've purchased, and have cleaned it up as follows - works well.

1) Remove O-ring.
2) Spray carburetor cleaner on a Q-tip.
3) Clean yellow grip material over spray from base and O-ring groove with Q-tip.
4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 until clean.
5) Check O-ring and clean with only clean towel - no chemicals.
6) Reinsert O-ring.

Originally Posted By: n8wvi
I assume OP means some of that gold gritty stuff is on the inside?

Yep. :)

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

Thanks

I've ran across the same over spray issue on the PureONEs I've purchased, and have cleaned it up as follows - works well.

1) Remove O-ring.
3) Clean yellow grip material over spray from base and O-ring groove with Q-tip.
6) Reinsert O-ring.

NICE! Besides carburetor cleaner, anything else work well?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigmike
Or just buy a Bosch!

Too late. I already have the P1's.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

Thanks

1) Remove O-ring.
6) Reinsert O-ring.

NICE! Besides carburetor cleaner, anything else work well?

Acetone should work.

I find the texture to be a definite benefit in design. Makes hand tightening installation a breeze, and I like it. I've seen no documented evidence that the Bosch premium can is thicker. That said, the significance of any minor difference would be negligible in standard passenger vehicle applications.

Most of these overspray issue still showing up now seem to be from older inventory sold through Amazon, haven't encountered it in purchases from AAP. Likely it's AAP's newer inventory, and as with any filter the added benefit of opening the box prior to purchase.

But for
But if one prefers Bosch Premium it's the same filter as the P1, still made by Purolator in the same place. I've just not seen it for the same price as the P1 sells for at Amazon or Kmart.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

But for div>

Exactly AND free shipping when spending $25 or more.

No brainer.

Sometimes buying a PureOne with the grippy stuff is like an older Jaguar when purchased new.

"Oh, it's new" You kinda gotta polish it up a bit. It's a diamond in the rough (electrical and other stuff often lacking from the factory). There's even a PureOne "making the PureOne suitable for use" support group.
grin2.gif

Is this a disposable oil filter, that will be used in a severe enviroment and totally spent to hold grunge and dirt, that you are polishing? When does a obsession become a sickness, I think I just answered my own question.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

But for div>

Yeah, it's not a huge deal to me ... only takes about 5 minutes to clean it up all nice a pretty and ensures no unwanted debris gets where it shouldn't.

It is however IMO something Purolator should make note of and try to improve the spray process to prevent any over spray on the base area.

Originally Posted By: Hermann
Got two from Amazon recently and they were fine. They were PL10241's.

From what I've seen, it's the PureONEs that have the O-ring groove located right next to the edge of the can that might have some over spray. The filers that have the O-ring groove inside toward the center don't seem to suffer as much from the over spray issue.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Is this a disposable oil filter, that will be used in a severe enviroment and totally spent to hold grunge and dirt, that you are polishing? When does a obsession become a sickness, I think I just answered my own question.

He is afraid of the over sprayed gritty stuff on the base plate working loose and getting into the engine; he ain't concerned with the looks.

This problem has come up before. Many paint pigments are quite abrasive. You don't want paint overspray on your oil. You might expect a QC problem in a cheap filter, but in one so highly praised here? Clean it up good. You could hope it is old stock and they have their act together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back