Pulsar NS 125

Negative... its does not stand for "winter" nor "weight" as popularly repeated...

Did you only read the first bloody post in that thread? I referenced no less than ELEVEN sources, including Exxon-Mobil, Chevron, multiple SAE certified labs, The Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers, Lubrizol and the PQIA that all indicate it does in fact stand for Winter.

As noted in that thread, the reason those articles were reworked was because they were not accurate, that's why a number of board members, a list which consisted of lubrication professionals and engineers, devoted a significant amount of time to improving them. The revised versions are all on the main page of the site:

The sole purpose API ranks the first number (Example 10) and the letter W is to
inform the buyer the oils ability to flow during critical start up...

API ranks the first number 10 and the letter W from the newest to the
oldest on its ability to lube your engine during critical start up because
the most wear happens during startup before pressure is establish...

0W

5W

10W

15W

20W

The purpose of the first number, as illustrated in J300, is to demonstrate compliance with a given Winter rating. That is to ensure two things:
1. The ability of the lubricant not to impact cranking speed (CCS)
2. The ability of the lubricant to be pumped (MRV)

This is not an age "ranking" system, it's simply the ability for the oil to meet those two requirements at two specific temperatures, which can be used as a guide to select the appropriate lubricant for your anticipated operating conditions while keeping in mind the recommendations or requirements laid out by the OEM:
1617766206256.png

So, for a 0W-xx, the oil has to:
1. Be below 60,000cP at -40C measured via the mini rotary viscometer test (MRV) which tests pumpability (the oil can be drawn into the pump and pumped)
2. Be below 6,200cP at -35C measured via the Cold Cranking Simulator test, which measures drag on rotating components that could prevent a start

For a 5W-xx, this is bumped up 5C, so MRV is tested at -35C, CCS at -30C, and so on and so forth.

A 20W-50 still has to pass the MRV requirements of being below 60,000cP at -20C, but more importantly, less than 9,500cP at -15C.

0C is not even remotely close to testing the cranking or pumpability limits of a 20w-50. If the manufacturer recommends an xW-50, it's typically wise to stick with that unless they make allowances for going lower. I don't think anybody wants to be responsible for telling somebody to run a lubricant that is contrary to the OEM recommendations where they aren't going to be footing the bills for the repairs if things go badly.

Now, that said, a 20W-50 will often be conventional, so there's probably an ease of start benefit during cooler weather and a bit of a fuel economy during warm-up benefit of going with a properly rated 15W-50 or 10W-50 synthetic with no associated risk, as you are staying within the hot viscosity recommendations of the OEM.

As the spread gets wider, you are going to end up with a lower base oil viscosity, which means more VII polymer to prop up that hot viscosity and thus more shear as those polymers are broken down, which bikes and ATV's, particularly high-winding ones, have a tendency to do, which means more viscosity loss. A 5w-50 has the potential to shear a significant amount for example.

I run a Euro 0w-40 in my Can-Am, but it's a liquid cooled V-Twin that calls for 10w-40, operated frequently in the winter, and that oil passes multiple approvals with shear limits as part of them and the OEM sells a 0w-40, so it was a pretty safe choice in this application.

Last edited:
Sorry ... go search for the right answer and you'll see you're wrong.

Here's what Valvoline says about the "W" rating ... I think they know something about the history of motor oil.

View attachment 53066
That BusyLittleShop lives in some alternate universe that I haven't discovered yet. So much of what he posts is just absolute fabricated nonsense and he just posts it over and over again.

Its harmless to say the "W" stands for "Winter" or "Weight" because
everyone agrees that the "W" stands for the oil's properties at
freezing temps... just like its harmless to call Flight Recorders
Black Boxes when we all agree they're International Orange...

Update:

Just did the service on this motorcycle.
And the magnet on the oil strainer looks like this:

IMG-20210517-162308.jpg

It's the second service in which I use the 10w50, and the second service where I find the magnet with small filings.
I have no memory of the 20w50 giving me filings.

Could it be the 10w50 shearing that much?

Could it be the 10w50 shearing that much?
No reason to suspect the shear...

Shear Stability is a measure of the amount of viscosity an oil may
lose during operation. Oil experiences very high stresses in certain
areas of the engine such as in the oil pump, cam shaft area , piston
rings, and gears or any other areas where two mating surface areas
squeeze the oil film out momentarily... but technically speaking as
our oil shears down we don't see elevated wear rates because oil
analysis shows as viscosity shears down the flow goes up and the
concept of lubrication states the greater the flow the greater the
protection..

No reason to suspect the shear...

Shear Stability is a measure of the amount of viscosity an oil may
lose during operation. Oil experiences very high stresses in certain
areas of the engine such as in the oil pump, cam shaft area , piston
rings, and gears or any other areas where two mating surface areas
squeeze the oil film out momentarily... but technically speaking as
our oil shears down we don't see elevated wear rates because oil
analysis shows as viscosity shears down the flow goes up and the
concept of lubrication states the greater the flow the greater the
protection..
What that statement doesn't address is the fact that as motor oil shears down in viscosity it also reduceS the miniumum oil film thickness (MOFT) between moving parts. If oil shears down too much, under certain circumstances the MOFT can become zero and metal-to-metal contact and wear will occur.

What that statement doesn't address is the fact that as motor oil shears down in viscosity it also reduceS the miniumum oil film thickness (MOFT) between moving parts. If oil shears down too much, under certain circumstances the MOFT can become zero and metal-to-metal contact and wear will occur.

Blackstone Labs address your claim and didn’t discover any significant differences in wear, regardless of oil thickness...

The Importance of Viscosity?
Quote Blackstone Labs

The viscosity, or thickness of the oil, is not nearly as important
as many people think. Oil retains its nature no matter what thickness
it is.Think about this: automakers are continually recommending
lighter multi-grade oil in new engines. The reason is increased
efficiency. It takes power to pump oil through an engine, and the
lighter the oil, the less power required to pump it. The oil’s ability
to act like a solid and protect parts is not related to its thickness.
If that doesn’t sound quite right, consider this: The gears in a
heavy duty Allison automatic transmission are doing the same work as
the same machine equipped with an Eaton manual transmission. Due to
the hydraulics of the automatic, it runs on a 10W automatic
transmission oil.But the manual transmission uses a very thick
(sometimes up to 90W)gear lube oil. The gears of both types of
transmissions will have a similar life span. We don’t find any
significant differences in wear, regardless of oil thickness.

Blackstone Labs address your claim and didn’t discover any significant differences in wear, regardless of oil thickness...

The Importance of Viscosity?
Quote Blackstone Labs

The viscosity, or thickness of the oil, is not nearly as important
as many people think. Oil retains its nature no matter what thickness
it is.Think about this: automakers are continually recommending
lighter multi-grade oil in new engines. The reason is increased
efficiency. It takes power to pump oil through an engine, and the
lighter the oil, the less power required to pump it. The oil’s ability
to act like a solid and protect parts is not related to its thickness.
If that doesn’t sound quite right, consider this: The gears in a
heavy duty Allison automatic transmission are doing the same work as
the same machine equipped with an Eaton manual transmission. Due to
the hydraulics of the automatic, it runs on a 10W automatic
transmission oil.But the manual transmission uses a very thick
(sometimes up to 90W)gear lube oil. The gears of both types of
transmissions will have a similar life span. We don’t find any
significant differences in wear, regardless of oil thickness.
As I've said before ... Blackstone Labs is not an engine study lab focused on tribology. I think I'll trust the people/engineers that have actually done controlled studies on the relationship between engine wear and viscosity/oil film thickness.

As I've said before ... Blackstone Labs is not an engine study lab focused on tribology. I think I'll trust the people/engineers that have actually done controlled studies on the relationship between engine wear and viscosity/oil film thickness.
Studies do add to our knowledge but so does Blackstones Labs 36 years worth of real world database averages for comparing wear...

Back