PU - Unable to find anywhere locally now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone seen PU in any stores in Toronto & GTA area recently? all my local Canadian Tire and Walmart stores have discontinued it?

I am wondering what is going on? or these stores planning on bringing it back the new SN/GF-5 approved PU?

earlier this Summer one of the W*M stores had all their PU stuff on clearance so I grabbed couple jugs!

wonder if anyone knows whats up?

Nope....it's vanished from the GTA. Really quite puzzled by what's going on at Shell in Canada. SOPUS has gone and developed this premium product, yet it seems to be getting no marketing support after the initial introductory blitz. I tried calling Shell to get some concrete information, but none was to be had.

I saw Pennzoil Ultra at the NAPA store near Dundas and Dixie in Mississauga, but it was in the single bottles, so I'd imagine the price was pretty high (since NAPA is not known for good prices here!).

The Walmart at South Common Mall in Erin Mills still had 2 5L jugs of 5w20 Ultra last week (and they've had those 2 jugs for a couple of months now, so nobody seems to want them) priced at $26.88. I've searched in 10 different Walmarts in Oakville, Mississauga and Brampton and none of them carry Ultra anymore (other than those last two jugs I mentioned above)

I think Pennzoil messed up with the marketing of this oil, they should have just replaced Platinum with Ultra, not offered two synthetics to further confuse the consumer. It got extra confusing up here in Canada too, because for the longest time it was priced slightly lower than Platinum, so the average person probably figured Ultra was not as good, and they avoided it.

Pennzoil's Canadian website is weird too, if you do a search on where to buy this oil, it lists Canadian Tire, but yet I've NEVER seen it on their shelves at all. It also lists a lot of little independent auto parts stores too, but I'd be surprised if they actually do carry it.

Ive gotten mine at the local shell gast sation in single bottles for 7.99/litre i belive. Its expensive but id rather get this since no synthetics seem to go on a good sale here anymore and id rather pay that then 38.99 at WM for the usual stuff. Plus after hearing about the Toyo 0W20 i caved in an bought a case so i will be using that and the PU on and off

i like PU
frown.gif

1 out of 3 walmarts here in fresno,ca carry ultra in jug and quart bottles. Other than that you'll only find it at pepboys and kragen at pretty much amsoil prices.

I agree, as much as platinum was awesome, they should have replaced it with ultra as their Full synthetic oil premium oil. or atleast label ultra as an extended drain like mobil1 EP

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CarNewb
Ive gotten mine at the local shell gast sation in single bottles for 7.99/litre i belive. Its expensive but id rather get this since no synthetics seem to go on a good sale here anymore

$8 a liter at a gas station is an incredible price! Most gas stations selling synthetic oil will price them at $12 to $13 per liter, just like Canadian Tire.

Thx All!

Pat, I saw the PU at Glen Erin NAPA, its a ripp off 12 bux a bottle.. I said forget it!

another strange thing I noticed that most retailers are selling QSUD at same price as PP, the top of the line QS product use to always be at least 5 bux cheaper than PP 5L Jug...

Right now in my Odyssey I have PU 5W-20... will check out S/C Walmart, if they still have those 2 bottles there...

Thx
smile.gif

I wonder if Shell can explain what is going on? last week one of the local Shell gas station ran out of gas?

Its at 1 of 4 walmarts in town, but none of the auto parts stores carry it. There is a family owned quick-lube that carries it (as well as RP, Amsoil, M1, QSUD, PP, Synpower, and Castrol Edge).

At the walmart they have 3 grades in both 5 liter jugs as well as singles. I do go there a couple times per week to see if they're putting it on roll-back.

My local Walmart (Fort Wayne IN Apple Glen) always has plenty in quarts and 5 qt jugs. I buy the 5W20 and 5W30 regularily.

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
Has anyone seen this product anywhere lately?

It's everywhere (Wal-Mart, AZ, AA, etc.) in Western New York...

I guess I will have to go around checking up on local Walmarts & Canadian Tires sometime again... I hope Shell didn't decided to cancel PU in Canadian Market all together!

It's hard to find around here to. I'm going to Autozone right now to get some that I saw on sale before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back