PSA for Hyundai Nu engine owners: Check your ignition system!

Well, I have an update worth reporting back for. PSA #2 for Elantra owners incoming:

I have been running E-0 87 for about three months now thanks to one gas station offering it for an extremely reasonable price (typically 5 cents more per gallon than E-10) and not changing the price one single cent in at least the three months I've taken notice. This does mean that sometimes this E-0 has been cheaper than any E-10 around at times. I've been running this fuel in both of my vehicles without issue. I have been noticing my Elantra falling on it's face some when getting on it (I unfortunately frequent a very short highway onramp that makes you go from a stop sign to 70mph in exactly 397 feet). I have also noticed what feels like some gear hunting at lower speeds (10-15 mph) when gently accelerating. I remembered my original post and since I was doing an oil change anyway, I decided I'm done screwing with these abysmal plugs. I triple checked all of the websites regarding my plug choice for this Elantra. Still, NGK doesn't make a plug for the 2017-2018 Elantras. So I decided to call Hyundai and work backwards. I asked what plugs were needed for my car (I supplied the VIN). Then I asked if a 2015 Elantra (1.8L) uses the same plug. He said no. But he did say that the Velosters use the same plug. So I started searching under the Veloster for NGKs. Just like the Elantra, it doesn't exist. I finally got irritated enough and decided I'm rolling the dice no matter what. I'm 100% done with these YURAs. So I start pulling the plugs. Keep in mind these plugs were already changed by the dealer at 28,736 miles. These 'new' plugs were pulled today at 37,685 miles. Here's the picture of the odometer for proof:

20210921_163723.jpg

So these plugs had a whopping 8,949 miles on them. Remember, they're also iridium. Shocker: they looked like crap...again. Here they are in order by how they were taken out of the engine (passenger side-->driver side):

20210921_192239.jpg

Unfortunately, the picture didn't do the spark end of the plug justice. They appear respectable in this pic, but in-person they look worse and definitely darker.

So in went my NGK 9723s (SILZKR7B11). They threaded in perfectly and I did measure the length of both plugs from the gasket to the ground electrode (for piston clearance). Identical. Gap is also identical on both at 0.044. Knowing that, I didn't care if there were any other differences. They were replacing the YURAs no matter what. I refuse to believe NGK doesn't make a spark plug for one of the most common cars on the road. I replaced them, finished my oil change, and took it for a spin.

I should have put the NGKs in the first time. It's noticeably more responsive, it doesn't seemingly 'hunt' for which gear it wants when you roll that rural stop sign, and most importantly it doesn't fall on it's face in the higher RPMs. Quite the opposite. This car has never felt this good. Ever. And once again I am reassured there are zero transmission issues. It was all related to the plugs.

I will report back if there are any issues running these NGK 9723s, but based off of my 10 mile test drive to ensure it got fairly hot, they were stellar. So unless I report back stating otherwise, let this be reassurance to anyone else tired of the horrid YURA plugs: the NGK 9723s *DO* work in a 2017-2018 Elantra, even if all the parts stores and NGK tell you otherwise.

Denso makes plugs for your application. W20EP-U11 (W20TT)
I know, but I'm a huge NGK fan, and I decided to spite whatever contract/agreement Hyundai has with YURA (not allowing NGK to be listed as a compatible part). It was basically a principle thing. The absolute bottom line is that these YURA plugs need to be banished to whatever third-world ****hole they came from and never see the light of day again. Shame on Hyundai for ever allowing this garbage to touch their vehicles.

Reactions: D60
Another 30 trouble-free miles today. I still swear there is a performance improvement. It almost seems like the engine is advancing timing to levels it never dared before. There was one light where I let go of the brake and it rather quickly started coasting (never hit the gas). Even the passenger asked why it seems to want to 'go' more than usual.

According to the NGK part finder, the 2.0 Nu uses the same plug.

I know, but I'm a huge NGK fan, and I decided to spite whatever contract/agreement Hyundai has with YURA (not allowing NGK to be listed as a compatible part). It was basically a principle thing. The absolute bottom line is that these YURA plugs need to be banished to whatever third-world ****hole they came from and never see the light of day again. Shame on Hyundai for ever allowing this garbage to touch their vehicles.
I have been talking to the NGK Canada Technical Support MGR for the past 2 years about our 2017 Elantra 2.0 NU sparkplugs and about 10 months ago he said NGK finally engineered a plug for our engine, and they are putting the plug into production. Fast forward about 2 months ago. I pinged him again, he said the plugs are in N.A , but due to some crazy agreement Hyundai has with many of its suppliers , and specifically NGK, they can not release it yet.. But coming soon(what ever soon means)

I have been talking to the NGK Canada Technical Support MGR for the past 2 years about our 2017 Elantra 2.0 NU sparkplugs and about 10 months ago he said NGK finally engineered a plug for our engine, and they are putting the plug into production. Fast forward about 2 months ago. I pinged him again, he said the plugs are in N.A , but due to some crazy agreement Hyundai has with many of its suppliers , and specifically NGK, they can not release it yet.. But coming soon(what ever soon means)
Why am I not surprised? I knew it was some sort of agreement/politics.

Finally!.. NGK released their spark plug for our 2017 Elantra 2.0U Atkinson.....

View attachment 75349
It only took them 5 years, but hey, it's about time! Interesting that NGK does not have product information on their website for it. It's also interesting how it specifies a 0.032" gap. I foresee a call to NGK in my near future.

That said, I'm still using my 9723s since I'm probably the only one crazy enough to use something not "approved." For science!

I'm up to about 1,200 miles on the 9723s and they're still flawless. I couldn't be happier. So far I'm seeing a very slight MPG improvement in both the car's and my calculation, but it's too early to really tell. I definitely regret not trashing the YURAs sooner.

Last edited:
interesting for sure + i DONT believe many of the low to no upkeep claims as well as long life, until warranty is gone. sparkplugs can work a long time BUT not optimally as changing the plugs at 50 thou in girlfriends traded PI Passat netted 3 MPG's. her 2018 2.4L no turbo DI optima is runnning flawlessly + uses NO oil!! E0 is surely best BUT not always available locally + although we have a station selling it the 91 octane is the only choice at over a DOLLAR a gallon MORE!!!

Last edited:
Well it took me about a year to do this job on my wifes 17 Tuscon NU 2.0L GDI.

Changed all four plugs yesterday at 32k. Found NGK Iridium plugs in there, so either mine didn't come with the Yuri plugs or someone did them before me.

Replaced with NGK Iridium IX plugs (Sourced from Rockauto) 93175 part number.

Not a bad job, a bit of wiggling to get the coil pack around the mechanical fuel pump on the drivers side cylinder.

Next job for this car is another set of Kuhmo tires, and a battery shortly after that.

Well it took me about a year to do this job on my wifes 17 Tuscon NU 2.0L GDI.

Changed all four plugs yesterday at 32k. Found NGK Iridium plugs in there, so either mine didn't come with the Yuri plugs or someone did them before me.

Replaced with NGK Iridium IX plugs (Sourced from Rockauto) 93175 part number.

Not a bad job, a bit of wiggling to get the coil pack around the mechanical fuel pump on the drivers side cylinder.

Next job for this car is another set of Kuhmo tires, and a battery shortly after that.
I think only the MPI engine comes with Yura plugs. MPI engine specs a different plug than the GDI. For example the GDI specs a wider gap than the MPI. NGK 9723 for GDI and NGK 90909 for MPI.

My experience with the KONA that i don't have now was alarming, I Leased it and included all maintenance. One specific oil change was interesting to say the least, they rotated the tires, thank GOD i drove around the lot before getting on the highway, a wheel fell off and I'm like ***, service writers are great they got me in a buggy attached the wheel correctly, ordered parts to fix what hit the ground !!

Back