Protect my head lights?

When i get a new car with plastic head lights is there anything i can put on them to stop them from fogging up with age?

ceramic coating, wax, graphene spray wax. these all will just kick the can down the road, but they will kick it way down the road depending on how often you apply the product.

ceramic coating, wax, graphene spray wax. these all will just kick the can down the road, but they will kick it way down the road depending on how often you apply the product.
Every car wash i tend to the lights with Wax-As-You-Dry products and 4 times year i Ceramic or Graphene coat them.

No, something that took up 0 time of your precious time (glass lenses) now occupy a ridiculous portion of your time (kits, fixes, hacks, you tube videos, uv protection, sanding, polishing, various grits..ad naseum.) And none of them work as well as simple glass headlight lenses. If it ain’t broken the line of those who are anxious to fix it goes on endlessly.

Last edited:
Acrylic paint sealant with UV blockers has been working for me. The sealant has to be applied regularly after a thorough cleaning. For cleaning polycarbonate I suggest Plexus.

my last 3 cars have gotten these protective films for the headlights.
https://clearmask.com/lightgard - no maintenance needed, and even with my weekly, or more often automatic car washes, they hold up.

started using them when I replaced the cataract like OE lights on my neon. wanted to keep it from happening again...maybe 2012...
when my Buddy's Little bro sold it down in TN (Stationed @ Ft.Campbell, TN/KY border) last fall, they were just as clear and smooth as new.

He sold the neon to someone down there, not sure if it was on base or a Local, and bought a new GR86 from Tansky Toyota In Columbus, then got deployed to Romania(?) for a few months. back stateside now, his contract is up and he's getting out of the Army (went in summer of '17)...in fact... I think he should be home to Columbus tomorrow.

Get the clear plastic adhesive film. After 4 to 6 years it will start to look bad, peel it off and apply another set.
I have done this since my 2001 BMW 540 M-Sport was purchased used in 2003, and my headlights look like new.
The films cost around $50 pre-cut, which is what I use. Some are more talented, and buy the bulk sheets and custom cut and trim their own. There are many brands available online and on Amazon

The protective films do work. I have used them in the past. The more curved the headlight lenses/covers are the tricker is installation. Protective film offers a bit of impact and scratch protection but reduces light output by a few percent.

Some of the newer headlights have such a complex shape that I can’t work full coverage. What I end up doing on these is simply cut the piece where the actual important light passes through. the light can still develop aesthetic blemishes where it’s not protected, but the important areas are covered.

In my last three cars, I have the 3M Invisible Bra material, covering the headlights, along with the hood and more. Best investment in my opinion.

Photo after six years…
IMG_2795.jpeg

Xpel worked for me. But not sure if necessary if one is trading in ten years or less? I guess more southern areas might need more for fading, while up here it would be good for protecting against sand.

Back