Restoring black plastic grill

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
After checking out some of the threads here I'm a little confused on which product is best for black plastic trim components. Project Farm's picks are Cerakote Trim Coat, Chemicals Guys Tire & Trim, and Mothers Back to Black.

I have a squeeze bottle of Maguire's Ultimate Black and a the Wipe New Trim Renew Kit by Rustoleum.

I'm open to buying a new product if it will help get in between the small openings of the grille but don't mind taking extra time if the products I have are sufficient.

In my case the honeycomb shape is complex for a detail job but now that I have the lower grille out I'd like to get the job done right and for it to last. Any thoughts?

Fog Light Grille.JPG

Fog Light Grille Right.JPG
Fog Light Grille Left.JPG

Fog Light Grille Inside.JPG
Upper Grille.JPG

Last edited:
Is that grill supposed to be black? It looks pretty sun bleached from the pictures.

Sorry to say this but if that is so then anything you use will be temporary. It’s done for.

front grilles tend not to last very long, so at this point I'd have to say buy a new one assuming they're still being made. Do not goto the salvage yard to get one either as these could end up looking worse. The trouble is, simply painting the plastic will start to look crappy. There's a few other options if you really want to save this grille, try hydro-dipping. This way you can actually hydro-dip the grille chrome or a foax chrome appearance or even a carbon fiber appearance. Then there's the zunsport mesh grille replacement.

Is that grill supposed to be black? It looks pretty sun bleached from the pictures.

Sorry to say this but if that is so then anything you use will be temporary. It’s done for.
Yes, it's supposed to be black and is not sun bleached for sure.

Since it's already off the car, paint it.
Good Idea, better than a temporary solution with a trim restorer.

I used Rustoleum 2X spray paint, made to bond with plastic, on my ‘07 Corolla’s grill, after I took the plastic chrome bits off. Liked it so much I threw the chrome pieces away, left it flat black.
I see there is a glossy version as well. I might try this, getting in between the honeycomb would be easier with a spray can.

This! I'd clean it really well, light scuff with some fine scotchpad and paint it.
I can give it a good powerwashing and maybe run each half in my ultrasonic cleaner. Scotchpad as much as I can get and it looks like the Rustoleum 2X has a separate primer available as well even though the black gloss is a 2 in 1 paint, can't hurt.

There are also some 2k spray bombs and primer spray bombs on amazon. I have not used them. You would still want PPE with those as they are 2K mix in a can sprays, definitely a respirator mask.

Project Farm's test results are on point regarding the black plastic trim restoration products. While skeptical, I used the Cerekote Trim Coat restoring wipes on the bumper and side trim pieces ~18 months ago and they still look showroom fresh today. Stands up remarkably well to rain, car washes and UV degradation. I may retreat them later this summer to ensure the protection is sustained.

Project Farm's test results are on point regarding the black plastic trim restoration products. While skeptical, I used the Cerekote Trim Coat restoring wipes on the bumper and side trim pieces ~18 months ago and they still look showroom fresh today. Stands up remarkably well to rain, car washes and UV degradation. I may retreat them later this summer to ensure the protection is sustained.
I‘m terribly disappointed in the Back to Black. Never again….

Back