New convertible top

I recently bought a 1990 Miata with the original convertible top. I am about to replace it with an OEM from Robbins and this one will have a plastic rear window. What is the best UV protection product for the plastic window? This car will be garaged. I did not want to get the glass window option because of the price and I am not certain I'll be keeping this car for a long time.
Thank you.

Honestly, the back window will be fine for a long time just by keeping it clean and out of the sun. Since you are keeping it garaged (presumably during the day), the threads on the top will rot before the window is an issue.

I haven’t found any of the miracle plastic window products to be very good.

When I had my 1991 Corvette I had the top replaced with the plastic window. It lasted a long time. I just kept it clean an used a mild, non abrasive wax on it.

On my original generation Miata, I laid a soft towel behind the seats where the plastic window laid when the top was down. Didn't get those rub marks or scratches.

I had the plastic rear window on my 1987 Corvette. I put a new hartz top on it and the plastic window held up good however I only kept the car about a year after I put on the new top.

303 carefully applied to not scratch is good, I also like this 210 Cleaner , my go to maintenance for tops, eisinglass, headlights, lenses, canopy, etc. For soft plastics, I'd say the choice of towel and technique is more important than the selection of decent products out there.

I tried looking for an objective study where UV light transmission was measured on plastic film that are treated with different "UV protection" products. There isn't any "SPF" # or rating on them unfortunately. I am as usual overthinking this

Last edited:
I tried looking for an objective study where UV light transmission was measured on plastic film that are treated with different "UV protection" products. There isn't any "SPF" # or rating on them unfortunately. I am as usual overthinking this
Unless the car is stored outside or constantly driven with the top up, I'd say the average non-BITOG owner are much more likely to get damage from insufficient or improper cleaning or inadequate care when folding (Google 'Boxster chop') than UV. Also, modern clear plastics seem to be much more durable then they used to be.

Back