Properly maintaining trailer lights

What's the trick to having reliable trailer lights? It always seems like I have to chase down a ground or something when I hook up a trailer. Is there anything to treat connections with to be more reliable? All of my trailers' lights are grounded through the bolt/mounting stud of the light. Should I ground each light with a separate wire?

When grounding lights most don't run a separate ground wire just ground with a mounting screw to frame. Rust or corrosion builds up between screw, frame and crimp on terminal to mounting screw. Other problem people have a tendency to pull wire very tight instead of a little loose for trailer frame flexing.

I always use tooth washers (prefer stainless) under the ring terminal with a good shot of dielectric or fluid film under and on top of the connection.
Wiring on most trailers is sketchy from the start.

Clean ground connections are key.
I, personally use anti-oxidant compound to keep the ground connections (All of them, each individual light, trailer plug wire- white one, I think.., towing vehicle ground connection, etc.) from corroding and it works for me.
Others on here use a dielectric grease for the same reason and they swear by it- Your choice.
I use a very light coating of dielectric grease in the actual electrical connector. I periodically clean it out with a brake cleaner and re-apply because dirt/dust sticks to the grease.

Reactions: GON
My '00 snowmobile trailer came from the factory with individual ground wires to all the lights. No issues with grounding to the frame which always seem to be the biggest issue. No issues since upgrading all the lights to LED either. That's a trailer that gets tons of salt exposure also. Steel axle mounting pads rotted away, galvanized axle in it now also but lights always have been great. All the plug-in type lights sockets got packed with dielectric grease.
With 5 trailers to maintain I want to just ''plug and play''.

One of the tried and true telltales of a bad ground is to turn on the 4 way flashers or a turn signal and watch for the lights to pulse when they arent supposed to.

Back