Proper oil for 2007 Jeep 4.7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question is simple. The Jeep manual calls for 5w-20 in the 4.7 V8 engine. However, this engine has been around for a few years, and it has always been spec'd to 10w-30 or 5w-30.

I am a bit leery of running 5w-20 in this engine, even though it is what the manufacturer specs. I bought a case of Castrol GTX 5w-20, but wanted to get some other opinions before I replace the factory fill.

My dad runs 5w-30 in his 2002 4.7L Jeep, and he has 130K miles on it now with no problems. If you run 5w-30, I'm sure it will give you good service and long life. As for the 5w-20, I don't see why it would be a problem to run this oil either; but I personally would feel more comfortable with the 5w-30.

Why were you not leery about buying the Jeep should be the question .Not jeeps oil visc.recommendation . Look in the uoa's .the 20 wt oils work well

Quote:

Why were you not leery about buying the Jeep should be the question .

What a DA thing to say.
smirk.gif

I had a 2001 Dakota with the 4.7. Good engine. Sucked the gas like a big truck though.

In WV you can always go 5-20 in the winter & 5-30 in the summer.

Or, 5-20 all year.

Run what you want this engine is not picky at all. It is probably the best wearing domestic V8 engine. I ran everyting from M1 5W30 up to M1 15W50. My dealsership really push's the M1 15W50 in the summer in Vipers and Trucks. I never had a problem with my 2001 Dakota. If you feel more comfortable running 5W30 go for it. If you like 10W30 go for it. This is engine is not going to care. I know that origanaly the engine was designed with 10W30 in mind and right before they brought it to market they reclearanced the oil pump to make it more friendly to 5W30. I belive the H.O. version of the 4.7 still calls for 10W30. We have only seen one bad 4.7 UOA on this site and it was from a vechile tht later turned out to have a blown head gasket and no oil would have prevented or helped that! I like synthetic in my engines but if the OCI is not extended it is not needed.

Two Jeeps over 18 years, each with well over 150,000 miles with zero major problems, that's why.

In this life, there are things I might lose sleep over. Worrying whether or not my Jeep will turn over tomorrow morning will never be one of them.

Thanks to all for your input. From reading the UOA's, I think I will stick with the GTX 5w-20 for the first fill.

Quote:

Quote:

What a DA thing to say.
smirk.gif

No not really as to have confidence to spent probably $25,000 plus on the jeep, then not have confidence with the oil recommendation is DA then I will let you think so.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What a DA thing to say.
smirk.gif

No not really as to have confidence to spent probably $25,000 plus on the jeep, then not have confidence with the oil recommendation is DA then I will let you think so.

So, I am a DA because I asked a question on a message board? If you can't understand why I have reservations about a new engine oil spec in a motor that has been around for 5 years, fine.

Many posts on this board and others speak to concerns of manufacturers changing oil specs for CAFE compliance. I have no doubt 5w-20 will keep this engine running past the warranty period, but I am not willing to sacrifice the long term integrity of my engine so that Chrysler can pass CAFE requirements. That is why I came here to solicit the opinion of others who have had this motor in their vehicles and their experiences with various oil makes. If am I not mistaken, that is the whole purpose of this site, to share information.

Again, thanks to the friendly folks on this board for your input.

I think 5w20 will keep my Hemi running past the warranty period then some, but I still use Castrol 10w30 in it. I used Castrol gtx 5w20 in it once and gained a 1/2 mile per gallon around town and 1 1/2 on highway. Not enough, I went back to the 10w30. I live in Florida the heat concerns me more than the cold oil pumpability and the oil being thick enough to suspend sand which is everywhere. My truck specs 5w20, I use 10w30, will either get me past warranty, yes, does the 10w30 make me feel better, yes. Have I had good luck with the 10w30, yes. Use what you want, whatever makes you feel better its your car. The only people that have a oil problem are the ones who never change their oil. I would use the 5w30 if you are more comfortable with it.

I don't think that was the implication of that statement. Even so, that would be misguided at best. Jeep is basically the only group of what was DC that has any real value.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What a DA thing to say.
smirk.gif

So, I am a DA because I asked a question on a message board? If you can't understand why I have reservations about a new engine oil spec in a motor that has been around for 5 years, fine.

Many posts on this board and others speak to concerns of manufacturers changing oil specs for CAFE compliance. I have no doubt 5w-20 will keep this engine running past the warranty period, but I am not willing to sacrifice the long term integrity of my engine so that Chrysler can pass CAFE requirements. That is why I came here to solicit the opinion of others who have had this motor in their vehicles and their experiences with various oil makes. If am I not mistaken, that is the whole purpose of this site, to share information.

Again, thanks to the friendly folks on this board for your input.

I was the DA due to my post not you .Still I will say that the 20 wt recommendation is fine, again look at the used oil anaylsis'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back