Proper haircut tip?

I get mine saved down to a number two blade all over every other month. Barber charges 15 for it and I give him 20 so I think a 5 dollar tip is plenty.

I tip $5 on a $16 haircut at Great Clips. Sometimes a little more if I have a coupon or the gal is really nice.

For a couple years … paid my son $20 bucks for a buzz cut. One day he joked about not getting a tip … so started giving him $25 … worked out great when the shops closed … always enjoyed being able to do that at home get caught up when he visits … (the mom joins us of course) …

I used to go to sport clips, i gave $5-7 depending on how well its cut, and how friendly they are.

Since the pandemic, i have found i can do a good job with my norelco mg7750 trimmer. I use the 16mm and 12mm guides. Might be close for some, but perfect for me. I have not been back to sport clips since jan of this year. probably saved $150. I may do this from now on.

My town is money hungry oil field town. Haircut in summer was $29!

Hair clippers were really hard to find, but got a nice small Wahl for $40. My wife was queasy that we could do it , but she's raving about the second cut I did by feel myself with the 1 inch guard. Just buzz it all over against the grain in about 5 minutes, and wife trims slightly. When I go over seas, I get cut for $5 which I'll keep taking.

I wonder if the tips go into a tipping pool? Anytime I tip, no matter where it is,I always personally put it into the person's hand. Tipping pools should be illegal.

Above, 4WD said, "...paid my son $20 bucks for a buzz cut... enjoyed being able to... get caught up when he visits … (the mom joins us of course) …"
OMG...Does your wife get the buzz cut too?

Re Pool Tipping: I'm with you. I ALWAYS put any tip into the workers' hand. This is not to say all pools are bad. Wait staff commonly peel off X% (say 20) for the busboys. I believe that's an industry standard and I'm OK with it.
Jars at cash registers can be OK but they're often not proper.

Since March, I give everyone bigger tips. The woman who owns the barbershop I frequent goes to my church and her kids attended the school where my wife teaches. It's been tough enough for her crew since the spring, first with a mandatory shutdown and then far fewer customers since re-opening, along with the extra effort for ensuring a safe environment. I usually tip $20 for a $20 cut.

I think that's pretty fair. I also upped the tip after the pandemic, because the places were shut down so long.
I gave my gal $50 the 1st time back. I was looking like someone with fake blond hair.
Now I tip $10 to $20. They are nice people just trying to get by.

Since March, I give everyone bigger tips. The woman who owns the barbershop I frequent goes to my church and her kids attended the school where my wife teaches. It's been tough enough for her crew since the spring, first with a mandatory shutdown and then far fewer customers since re-opening, along with the extra effort for ensuring a safe environment. I usually tip $20 for a $20 cut.
Exactly what I do.

I am doing the same thing. Barber shops were closed by law for several months here in Texas. It was madness. These people are hurting so bad. Whatever the haircut costs, I double it and give that to the stylist.

Usually 20 bucks or so. I am not a rich guy either, but I have worked the entire time of the pandemic, when others were not so fortunate.

Twenty percent to the employees and I never tip the owner if he gives the haircut. The haircut is fifteen dollars.
Not really sure I follow the no tipping the owner bit. I used to tip my barber that worked at a store, but then she opened up her own shop. She charged the same price. Didn't seem right to not tip her at that point.

Above, 4WD said, "...paid my son $20 bucks for a buzz cut... enjoyed being able to... get caught up when he visits … (the mom joins us of course) …"
OMG...Does your wife get the buzz cut too?

Re Pool Tipping: I'm with you. I ALWAYS put any tip into the workers' hand. This is not to say all pools are bad. Wait staff commonly peel off X% (say 20) for the busboys. I believe that's an industry standard and I'm OK with it.
Jars at cash registers can be OK but they're often not proper.
I also say to my server as I'm handing her or him my tip,"This is for you".

Back