Interview tips

However though, unless it's specifically for a GS-12/13 or higher position, many announcements can start as low such as a GS-5 with full potential of GS-12 (or whatever the announcement states), so the range is huge. And it's not guaranteed that you'll start at the full performance level.
I understand. I’ve both interviewed for, and been the interviewer, GS jobs in the upper range. My wife is a 20 year GS, who, as a retired USN Captain and senior GS, often screens and interviews candidates at her command.

This isn’t one of those positions.

This is a great opportunity for the OP.

But salary in this case, is fixed, it’s pay banded, not GS scale, and varies only by locality pay.

I understand. I’ve both interviewed for, and been the interviewer, GS jobs in the upper range. My wife is a 20 year GS, who, as a retired USN Captain and senior GS, often screens and interviews candidates at her command.

This isn’t one of those positions.

This is a great opportunity for the OP.

But salary in this case, is fixed, it’s pay banded, not GS scale, and varies only by locality pay.
It doesn't sound like you understand the relationship between Paybands and General Schedule.

base pay on a GS is the same regardless where you're located. It is the locality adjustment (if you're in an area that is within a locality adjustment) that differs, as it's Base Pay + Locality adjustment (if any) that determines the total salary. Your paycheck stub breaks it down the same way.

Paybands are GS scale range equivalent, but without all of the defined steps (1-10) within a grade. So, a decent employee may be able to max out a band relatively quickly (compared to waiting a long time for automatic step increases). But the bands are defined with the limits of the lower grade, step 1 to the highest grade, Step 10. For example, DP-III, minimum base pay is a GS-12 Step 1 with the max base pay of GS-13 Step 10.

Not all agencies are on Paybands though. Some use both GS and Paybands, as when you get high enough, you're switched to the Payband.

1688675393941.jpg

But the OP didn't mention if it was on a fixed scale or payband position, since he never posted the job announcement for people to take a looksee.

It doesn't sound like you understand the relationship between Paybands and General Schedule.

base pay on a GS is the same regardless where you're located. It is the locality adjustment (if you're in an area that is within a locality adjustment) that differs, as it's Base Pay + Locality adjustment (if any) that determines the total salary. Your paycheck stub breaks it down the same way.

Paybands are GS scale range equivalent, but without all of the defined steps (1-10) within a grade. So, a decent employee may be able to max out a band relatively quickly (compared to waiting a long time for automatic step increases). But the bands are defined with the limits of the lower grade, step 1 to the highest grade, Step 10. For example, DP-III, minimum base pay is a GS-12 Step 1 with the max base pay of GS-13 Step 10.

Not all agencies are on Paybands though. Some use both GS and Paybands, as when you get high enough, you're switched to the Payband.

View attachment 165348

But the OP didn't mention if it was on a fixed scale or payband position, since he never posted the job announcement for people to take a looksee.
I do understand. Perfectly.

But this is not germane to the OP’s case.

I just spoke with the OP on the phone. We went over how to prep for the interview.

It is out of concern for his privacy that I am not discussing any details of the position.

So, while I appreciate what you’re trying to say, and I agree with you, it is not relevant to the thread question. Please trust me on that.

I do understand. Perfectly.

But this is not germane to the OP’s case.

I just spoke with the OP on the phone. We went over how to prep for the interview.

It is out of concern for his privacy that I am not discussing any details of the position.

So, while I appreciate what you’re trying to say, and I agree with you, it is not relevant to the thread question. Please trust me on that.
Bravo to assist personally. What a seriously positive aspect of this forum!

You didn't really leave a lot to go on with regard to the type of job, pay grade applying for (worker bee versus manager makes a big difference here), or agency.

As a previous hiring manager and selecting official for many different GS occupational series and GG positions, I'll offer this:

1. Wrong. Feel free to share your relevant expertise and what you'll bring to the team. Conciseness - not brevity - is key!

2 and 3. Be yourself...whatever that looks like. If you're a gregarious person, let that show. If reserved, that's OK, too. Anything else is fake...and nobody likes fake (and experienced interviewers will see right through it).

4. OK, but pretty robotic. If you have genuine, legitimate questions about the overall organization or anything else work-related, ask away. It displays curiosity and interest in the organization.

Be yourself...be yourself...and be yourself. Rehearsed robots are a dime a dozen.
Good advice.

Federal interviews can in many cases be one sided. A panel gives five or so questions, sits and listens/takes notes with no interaction. In this type of case the person being interviewed needs to think up how they will answer the questions and talk within the time allotment.

OP needs to avoid blabbering on. Succinctness but thoroughness is key.

If the question of “do you have any questions” comes up, this is a trick one. Have one pre-rehearsed that is relevant to the position and shows interest. Something like “is there opportunities for additional training for ____”, or “I’m really passionate about ____ part of this potential job, what do I need to do if selected to ensure I can build expertise in _____”. Something like that which aligns to the job/role being interviewed for.

Good luck!

Remove Miss July from the wall behind you.
Don't get too close when you look into the webcam lens or you'll look cross-eyed and very big-nosed.
Make sure no wild animals or hookers pass through the scenery behind you.
20230707_061219.jpg

So, I have to use my phone for Webmeeting just because the way things are set up. It is pretty much all I got. It should work fine.

Shirt selected for interview: (finding my black pants and black shoes. Treating this like a real interview.)

20230707_061349.jpg

No hat .

Clicked "like" on a post made this morning by another BITOGer that's familiar with my goals to make it to this 3-letter agency that isn't FBI, CIA or DOD but rather one of the others.. even if we have the eternal "difference of opinion" on something. This morning is all about that interview which will happen "soon."

STAR format answers. This is NOT an interview for Burger King so I will tell myself.. talking slightly longer is OK. It's like going from Middle School to College.. 18-35 year olds are still kids anyways so 🤣🤣Leveling up.

Birds moved for no noise. Mom wasn't happy but OK lol.

Crunch time on talking "what the questions may be." Everything will be fine.

Time to go over answering the questions from memory. Using helpful tools about STAR interview..

Good advice.

Federal interviews can in many cases be one sided. A panel gives five or so questions, sits and listens/takes notes with no interaction. In this type of case the person being interviewed needs to think up how they will answer the questions and talk within the time allotment.

OP needs to avoid blabbering on. Succinctness but thoroughness is key.

If the question of “do you have any questions” comes up, this is a trick one. Have one pre-rehearsed that is relevant to the position and shows interest. Something like “is there opportunities for additional training for ____”, or “I’m really passionate about ____ part of this potential job, what do I need to do if selected to ensure I can build expertise in _____”. Something like that which aligns to the job/role being interviewed for.

Good luck!
How about... "How is the prospect of advancement with time and good performance?"

Really feeling ready. Maybe I update later. 😎

Screenshot_20230707-074352_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:
Back