Proper haircut tip?

Not really sure I follow the no tipping the owner bit. I used to tip my barber that worked at a store, but then she opened up her own shop. She charged the same price. Didn't seem right to not tip her at that point.
The owner makes a very good living as a business owner, makes a percentage off the work of the barbers he/she would employ and probably makes more than me. Those are the reasons I feel there is no need to tip the owner.

I would hope a $5 tip for a $20 haircut would be considered good. Then again, I've been buzzing my own since my late 30s. Don't miss the whole barber thing one bit.
This I what I was thinking as well.

I also have been cutting my own hair for the past 25 years, so no idea what would be considered correct, but I don't agree with tipping as a whole.

I know I don't tip myself, maybe I should start. I know I paid $35 for my current set of clippers around 20 years ago. Prior to that, I was using the same clippers my wife had bought for her dog before we were married.
It drives me crazy having to pay for my families haircuts. My wife found a fellow church member that cuts hair for a reasonable price, so she and the 2 kids have been going there for over a year. Not sure on price, but wife said it is cheaper than what she had been paying.

Reactions: JTK
I think it's fair.
I am 74 and "comfortable". I can afford to tip well. For me it really is "more blessed than to receive".I appreciate folks that go out and work. I know it helps them have a good day and maybe will help them see people are "good"

$5 tip is good enough for $20 haircut.

What kind of oil do you guys use on your clippers? 0W20? It should have adequate hths for clippers I assume. :unsure:

As an Aussie I don't entirely "get" the whole tipping system, but wouldn't it depend on how good a job they do, rather than just being a set amount?
It started out that way, but now it's more of a convention. Same as tipping when eating at restaurants. The service has to be really bad not to leave a tip, even if it's bad, you still leave the same tip.

What kind of oil do you guys use on your clippers? 0W20? It should have adequate hths for clippers I assume. :unsure:
I use Tri-Flow aerosol on mine.
I have been using the same 12oz can for over 30 years.

It started out that way, but now it's more of a convention. Same as tipping when eating at restaurants. The service has to be really bad not to leave a tip, even if it's bad, you still leave the same tip.
I don't leave a tip for bad service.
As I said before, I don't agree with tipping as a routine part of business.
Tipping should be a voluntary thing that I choose to do or not do, and how much is based on what I feel the service is worth to me over what the normal price is.
There is a local chair restaurant here that has a walk up counter where you order, pay, and get your drink. You then go sit at a table. Your "server" brings your food to you. That is the only time I saw them. I got my own refills. My wife got mad that I did not tip them. I told her I don't tip at fast food restaurants, because I receive no service that deserves tipping, and even though the food at this place is not "fast food", the service is.
The place also charged the automatic 15% gratuity on parties bigger than 8, with nothing more than food brought out to you.

Last edited:
My neighbor offered to cut my hair for FREE. After the cut I gave her $10. She's very happy with that, being I'm her ONLY paying customer in our complex.
My last haircut from her (3 days ago), I gave her a $2 tip. She tried VERY HARD to give it back. I told her I would put it in the offering basket at church. She was fine with that. :)
HAIRCUT.jpeg

Above, 4WD said, "...paid my son $20 bucks for a buzz cut... enjoyed being able to... get caught up when he visits … (the mom joins us of course) …"
OMG...Does your wife get the buzz cut too?

Re Pool Tipping: I'm with you. I ALWAYS put any tip into the workers' hand. This is not to say all pools are bad. Wait staff commonly peel off X% (say 20) for the busboys. I believe that's an industry standard and I'm OK with it.
Jars at cash registers can be OK but they're often not proper.
There was an Indian restaurant here which was owned by a very nice man and his dragon-lady wife. They got into some sort of trouble and sold the restaurant to the employees, who have done much better with it. Staff since the turnover have told us that the dragon lady used to insist that all tips be turned over to her. At the end of the night, she would give each serving person $10, and pocket the rest. It's a much nicer place to visit now. The food remains very good, and the employees all seem much happier.

Regarding tipping policies at different establishments, when I was 16 and 17 I worked as a busboy at a steak restaurant. The waiters were obliged to submit x % of their gross sales for the night into a tip pool, which was distributed in cash to the behind-the-scenes people who wouldn't have otherwise received a tip - the dishwashers, busboys, prep cook, meat cutter, cook, broiler assistant, bartender, and cocktail waitresses. In turn, though, the waiters kept all of the tip money. It seemed to work well. My busboy wage was $1.90/hour, and my % of tips averaged about another $1.25/hour.

Big bucks for a young guy, which I wasted on unreliable cars. I would have done well to have bought some good tools instead, but youth is wasted on the young. ;)

Y'all, unless you're getting something crazy done to your hair, you can buy the clippers and cut it yourself for a lot less. I think my clippers were $20 on Amazon. That's one hair cut, sans tip. Even if I had to buy a new set every time, I'd still break even. And that doesn't factor in driving to the barber shop.

Back