Project Farm - Tests Pennzoil Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
But since none of his tests have any validity, does it really matter? :unsure:
It convinces people to buy... Pennzoil, and it even steers consumers to specific products in the lineup:

1656037428003.png

1656037495453.png

1656037537672.png

I think your answer is stated above:

"Project Farm claims that he buys all the products that he reviews"
Check out some of the YouTube comments from the "Oil Championship." As I said, it was a brilliant piece of marketing:

Weirdly enough, AMSOIL commented, further legitimizing Project Farm's testing video. A bad move IMHO.
1656037817706.png

Here are the "I can't afford AMSOIL, so Pennzoil is good enough for me" comments:
1656037862842.png

1656037881603.png

1656037896023.png

1656037926712.png

1656037959551.png

And there are plenty more. I am not knocking Pennzoil by any means, I'm just pointing out that PF accomplished what it set out to do: make Pennzoil look like a great choice... when compared to AMSOIL, and the only choice when compared to everything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just pointing out that PF accomplished what it set out to do: make Pennzoil look like a great choice... when compared to AMSOIL, and the only choice when compared to everything else.
I read through all the screenshots of the comments you posted and can't see where you're getting that PF is making "Pennzoil look like a great choice... when compared to AMSOIL, and the only choice when compared to everything else." To me it just looks like he ran a bunch of oils through the same tests and according to the parameters he set up, PUP did "better" according to those parameters. I don't see any favoritism.

When I was in high school, I had a boxing simulator on my Apple II called Ringside Seat. I ran bracket tournaments all the time of the all-time heavyweight greats. I knew the results were fantasy, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the process and imagining if Rocky Marciano could really beat Cassius Clay. If some boxing historians showed up and started arguing with me about how invalid my simulations were, it would've ruined the whole experience.

The fact is, every oil that PF tested is API certified and would do just fine in cars they are spec'd for. He makes it clear it's for entertainment purposes only. Sometimes it's fun and entertaining to imagine "what if" when comparing a bunch of oils that are all high quality. Let's split hairs and see if we can separate a bunch of great oils just for fun. He does his best to come up with tests on a small budget that might show some separation between a group of great oils and does his best to consistently test all the oils the same way. It kind of reminds me of high school me running brackets over and over and comparing which heavyweight champs more consistently came out on top.

I think the YouTube pool is pretty polluted with "motor oil advice" videos, I've gotten into it with a few. I usually start by explaining that.. oil has to be sucked UP, not poured DOWN a chute. This seems to not register, and we go from there. Next up is what the W means, and that oil goes not "start out as a 5 and warm up to a 30." What will then ensue is small brains then making videos as to why oil "starts out as a 5 and then warms up to a 30" .

Maybe I'll stick some in a freezer and draw conclusions. If we are providing entertainment. I am getting some definitions here as to what can be presented. And maybe I won't, but. Project Farm seems more suited to tractors and farm equipment. If he has a Pennzoil agenda? Perhaps.. "Objection: Vague, calls for speculation."

I meant compared to what would be required for his tests to be considered valid by oil experts.

He could go work for an oil blender in a lab. He could put on a lab coat and be an employee, using the machines that measure the different specifications on calibrated specialized equipment.

Then, I wouldn't see why not.

The fact is, every oil that PF tested is API certified and would do just fine in cars they are spec'd for. He makes it clear it's for entertainment purposes only. Sometimes it's fun and entertaining to imagine "what if" when comparing a bunch of oils that are all high quality. Let's split hairs and see if we can separate a bunch of great oils just for fun. He does his best to come up with tests on a small budget that might show some separation between a group of great oils and does his best to consistently test all the oils the same way. It kind of reminds me of high school me running brackets over and over and comparing which heavyweight champs more consistently came out on top.
But you see that's still the problem. He's not "splitting hairs" nor is he separating anything. Him doing his best isn't good enough to do that, it's a garbage test that yields garbage results that discriminate nothing. There is no value there whatsoever, not between oils as a differentiator nor in absolute terms. He doesn't know what he's doing.

Let's say you watched a video of someone doing a comparison of sirloin steak to ribeye steak. He seasons each one with Old Bay and tartar sauce. He places both of them in a toaster for 5 minutes. Then he tops both steaks with chocolate syrup and candy sprinkles. About this time, the LSD has kicked in and this person is tripping balls. He then proceeds to eat each one of them, with chugs of milk between each bite, and gives you a review of which one is better.

Sounds asinine, right?

That's what it's like watching Project Farm do an oil episode.

Oil companies spend millions of dollars testing oils in labs and controlled environment regimens to meet the latest standards but we are supposed to appreciate some guy that pours cold oil down chutes and acting like he is calling a horse race?

But let’s not besmirch the almighty Project Farm lest you might get deleted.

Let's say you watched a video of someone doing a comparison of sirloin steak to ribeye steak. He seasons each one with Old Bay and tartar sauce. He places both of them in a toaster for 5 minutes. Then he tops both steaks with chocolate syrup and candy sprinkles. About this time, the LSD has kicked in and this person is tripping balls. He then proceeds to eat each one of them, with chugs of milk between each bite, and gives you a review of which one is better.

Sounds asinine, right?

But instead of eating the steaks himself he’s putting them outside to see which one the chipmunks prefer.

Sounds asinine, right?

Oh, THAT is what he grows on that farm! Makes more sense now.

Paote

About this time, the LSD has kicked in and this person is tripping balls.

Here's the CCS data. The Platinum PDS was scrambled on the Pennzoil site. PQIA had the Platinum CCS data tested in 2020, the same year as the PDS for the oils. The full synthetic PDS did not include MRV.

The first number is the oil's finish in the "race". The second is CCS. The cold pour was not predictive of the CCS.
Code:
Ultra Platinum 1 4000
Platinum 3 4700
Syn Blend 2 5800
Full Synthetic 2 7060
Ed
Nice...glad to see someone comparing PF results to the real numbers. Could no for NOACK as well.

Oh, THAT is what he grows on that farm! Makes more sense now.

Paote
Coming from a site that says any recent API certified oil is sufficient as long as it is changed on a regular basis. I have great respect for the knowledge and applaud any legitimate critical views from many long standing oil professionals here. The winner 3 years ago was Amsoil Signature Series, not a API certified oil. I personally do not care if you want to dump on the testing procedures that PF used. The Amsoil ASTM procedures done 10 years ago are fine for me. Bringing the drug induced analogy into this, how about “step away from the crack pipe”

Sounds asinine, right?

I literally just spit out my drink on my keyboard/monitor at work...thanks. lol

Coming from a site that says any recent API certified oil is sufficient as long as it is changed on a regular basis. I have great respect for the knowledge and applaud any legitimate critical views from many long standing oil professionals here. The winner 3 years ago was Amsoil Signature Series, not a API certified oil. I personally do not care if you want to dump on the testing procedures that PF used. The Amsoil ASTM procedures done 10 years ago are fine for me. Bringing the drug induced analogy into this, how about “step away from the crack pipe”

I'm not the one that brought that analogy into the conversation. Project Farm does not do API tests.

I get that many on bitog detest PF "testing" of oils. However, the Blackstone VOAs shown (also provided a separate sub forum on bitog) speak for themselves.

While one may not agree with PFs "testing" procedures and conclusions, the VOA comparisons do provide useful information. My .02
Which also is not an indicator of finished oil performance nor a discriminator between similarly rated oils.

Which also is not an indicator of finished oil performance nor a discriminator between similarly rated oils.
Exactly, and as I've pointed out ad nauseam, ONLY show us metallics, not specific compounds, or the organics, which are used regularly now for FM and AW.

Using @RDY4WAR's awesome steak analogy, it's like looking at three different 5-page steak recipes, but we shred all but half of the first page where they all have most of the same ingredients and then start drawing conclusions about which one is going to taste better because recipe 3 has 3/4 of a cup of sugar in it, vs recipe 2, which has 2/3rds.

Nor what I said, so a straw man point. But based on that straw man, perhaps bitog should now eliminate the subforum which often features Blackstone VOAs and comparisons since one could infer that like the ones on PF, they serve little or no purpose. Or, provide no "useful information". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What I'm saying about PF, to use a metaphor, I'm not willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater, as it were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back