Project Farm - Tests Pennzoil Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
and yet we have posts of freezing....burning and smelling ADBV on this site and those are gospel........Scientific test not even close... :ROFLMAO:
I think that’s the second time in this thread you’ve tried to make that point which isn’t correct. A casual burn test for polymer identification is far more scientific and definitive than this video is for motor oil performance. It’s done all the time and just because you don’t understand it doesn’t make it invalid.

You’re really stuck on that it seems. Maybe learn up a little through the links that were given to you in that other thread?

I think that’s the second time in this thread you’ve tried to make that point which isn’t correct. A casual burn test for polymer identification is far more scientific and definitive than this video is for motor oil performance. It’s done all the time and just because you don’t understand it doesn’t make it invalid.

You’re really stuck on that it seems. Maybe learn up a little through the links that were given to you in that other thread?
Maybe you should not have a double standard on this...Go back and look at the posts...I did mention maybe you need to send them to a Lab and have them checked to see what they are made of...Some of the same people that are now saying about Project Farm that this is not a scientific test were saying back then..See what did I tell you that test proves it...cant have it both ways ...

and yet we have posts of freezing....burning and smelling ADBV on this site and those are gospel........Scientific test not even close... :ROFLMAO:
Can you prove that it's not correctly showing if an ADBV is nitrile or silicone? The experts in the rubber industry show information that burning the rubber can determine what type it is, especially between nitrile and silicone that burn very differently.

Last edited:
Maybe you should not have a double standard on this...Go back and look at the posts...I did mention maybe you need to send them to a Lab and have them checked to see what they are made of...Some of the same people that are now saying about Project Farm that this is not a scientific test were saying back then..See what did I tell you that test proves it...cant have it both ways ...
If you can prove that a burned ADBV that shows it to be nitrile is instead shown to be silicone by lab test, then let us know. I don't think it will ever show that end result regardless of the claim that it needs to be lab tested beyond a burn test.

Last edited:
If you can prove that a burned ADBV that shows it to be nitrile is instead shown to be silicone by lab test, then let us know. I don't think it ever show that end result regardless of the claim that it needs to be lab tested beyond a burn test.
I dont have to prove nothing. Go back and look at the posts in April and see the freeze...burn and smell and how that was a valid test and case closed..

I can’t help you here. You’re really lost, sorry.

I dont have to prove nothing. Go back and look at the posts in April and see the freeze...burn and smell and how that was a valid test and case closed..
It IS a valid test, sweet Christ, why are you struggling with this?

An engine oil is significantly different from an anti-drainback valve. Materials determination is different than measuring wear performance or determining pumpability. These are different metrics for different things, which have different processes and what are valid methods for determining those things varies significantly.

Flash Point is a properties determination and a test that likely isn't that difficult to setup. Pour Point is also pretty easy to determine. The fact that flash point isn't sufficient, which is why we have Noack, and why Pour Point also isn't sufficient, so we have CCS/MRV is immaterial to the fact that both of those things are easy to execute determinations that do tell you SOMETHING. The VALUE of that thing; the value of the determination will vary depending on WHAT you are trying to determine, and what the purpose of obtaining that information is.

I can shoot a piece of steel plate with .308 to determine whether it's sufficiently hard enough to stop a bullet. Does that give me specific materials information about that metal? No, but it tells me something that might be useful about its hardness level.

Based on the information on how nitrile vs silicone burns so much differently, it's valid enough. Go burn some yourself and see it with your own eyes. I'd bet that no amount of lab testing is going to show that a burn test on either a nitrile or silicone ADBV is going to show the opposite result.

Thanks for reviving this subject.

I would prefer that testing procedures would be done as this link below. Who is going to pay for it? The samples are from December 2012. At the time I suspect Amsoil would be the only one to pay for a comparison for the one reason, they are on top.

Reactions: hrv
Thanks for reviving this subject.

I would prefer that testing procedures would be done as this link below. Who is going to pay for it? The samples are from December 2012. At the time I suspect Amsoil would be the only one to pay for a comparison for the one reason, they are on top.

Do you know how oil is tested already?

It would be interesting to see the formal CCS and MRV test viscosity numbers on every oil that is shown in these flow races to see if there is any visual flow correlation at all going on.
Here's the CCS data. The Platinum PDS was scrambled on the Pennzoil site. PQIA had the Platinum CCS data tested in 2020, the same year as the PDS for the oils. The full synthetic PDS did not include MRV.

The first number is the oil's finish in the "race". The second is CCS. The cold pour was not predictive of the CCS.
Code:
Ultra Platinum 1 4000
Platinum 3 4700
Syn Blend 2 5800
Full Synthetic 2 7060
Ed

Close, plus a whole lot more. Perhaps look at the Afton Specification Handbook.
The problem is the public does not normally have the testing data to compare each oil. It is useless to compare cost/performance without some sort of shootout comparison. Unless Amsoil wants to update another comparison in 2022 oils. Even Amsoil can cherry pick the tests they want to do.

The problem is the public does not normally have the testing data to compare each oil. It is useless to compare cost/performance without some sort of shootout comparison. Unless Amsoil wants to update another comparison in 2022 oils. Even Amsoil can cherry pick the tests they want to do.
The problem is that the public lacks the skills and knowledge to properly interpret the data even if it was available.

If the "shootout" has no validity, then what purpose does it serve?
Glad you asked… I enjoy someone attempting to perform a comparison. Not for any reason but for entertainment purposes. Given the resources he has available I enjoy his enthusiasm in testing with his own equipment. To be quite honest I enjoy that he is not a professional or a salesman or has any money on the product.
The “IF” is entirely your perspective.
Personally it seems there was a difference in the 4 oils tested. And the 4 VOA done by Blackstone was something I wanted to see.

There's a big difference between that Amsoil 5W-30 synthetic oil comparisons (which used ASTM test standards) and PF's comparisons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back