Progressive Lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
No idea but Luxottica is a major player in the eyeglasses market. Most of the brands you see are from them and they run both Pearle and LensCrafters as well as several other retail outlets.

I get the premise of paying for quality, but I do believe in quantity also. All it takes is one accident and suddenly my life comes to a stop. Backup glasses are important. Thankfully it hasn't been too often, but still.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
I have a pair of top end progressives.

I believe our current lenses are Zeiss brand. And even Zeiss has several different models with wider or narrower "close work" areas. They're made of polycarbonate which makes them very thin, scratch resistant and very strong. And they have anti-glare, scratch resistance, and anti-UV coatings.

Each time we've bought lenses they've been better than the time before, so there is ongoing progress.

My old glasses are my back-up. I used them exclusively for several weeks while my frames were getting new lenses. And I use them when I'm doing carpentry, auto repairs, etc in case I scratch a lens or somehow wreck the frames.

Originally Posted by Chris142
I never knew there were different companies that made lenses. Any idea who Walmart uses?

There are many, many companies that manufacturer lenses. They will often have multiple facilities too to provide quicker service/delivery. Some are clearly better than others too. As I mentioned above, my sister is an optician and knows who to use and who not to use.

Originally Posted by PimTac
No idea but Luxottica is a major player in the eyeglasses market. Most of the brands you see are from them and they run both Pearle and LensCrafters as well as several other retail outlets.

Yeap, Luxottica is probably the biggest one. It's frightening what they have their fingers in too ! They even operate a vision insurance company (EyeMed) !! Guess who is in their "preferred network" ??? Unless you need glasses within hours, I would avoid places like Lenscrafters, Pearle Vision, etc. Their overhead (mall rent) and their focus on what look to be "high end" brands makes their pricing too high for me.

Originally Posted by supton
Which I'm finding to be great reading glasses instead, and not usable for working at the computer like I hoped for. I suspect that I might be getting cheap results from cheap glasses, but, maybe not. What I don't like is if I look at something to the left of my vision, if I rotate my head to the left and eventually look to the right of my vision, the focus changes in and out as I look at the object. With a good pair of optics I can look out any corner of my glasses and there is very little distortion .....

I don't like progressive's for exactly this reason. I've never found a pair at any price that I tolerate.

I'm an amateur astronomer, and have an enthusiast's understanding of good optics.

My prescription for distance is +2.00 in both eyes. So a pair of reading glasses works well for driving.

What I've found is that going up 0.25 or 0.5 diopter works well for me for the computer. So I typically just pick up 2.5 reading glasses and the computer is clear.

But more interestingly, I can use +2.25 daily contacts and see both distance and close. As my eyes have about 1 diopter of accommodation. Took about 3 weeks to train my eyes to focus "distance" through mild magnification. But it works wonderfully! This method is to simply go 1/4 (or a touch more) diopter too high, thereby "bracketing" the eye's ability to focus (accommodation) .

I don't have any significant astigmatism.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back