Progressive Lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last visit to the eye doc brought about the recommendation to make the jump to progressives--it wasn't that bad but she thought I should get used to them, as it's inevitable. I decided to be a cheapskate and got a pair through Zenni; I have my daily glasses as single prescription and am quite happy with them, so I did a mid range progressive as I do a lot of computer work and wanted to try that out. Which I'm finding to be great reading glasses instead, and not usable for working at the computer like I hoped for. I suspect that I might be getting cheap results from cheap glasses, but, maybe not. What I don't like is if I look at something to the left of my vision, if I rotate my head to the left and eventually look to the right of my vision, the focus changes in and out as I look at the object. With a good pair of optics I can look out any corner of my glasses and there is very little distortion (dead on is best but usually there is a bit of change towards the edges).

I've heard others say that they were told to point their nose at what they want to see. Is this going to be the new reality for me, eventually? Just feels weird.

I suspect that if the viewing panes are really that small, that getting Pd measurement must become really critical. And might explain why my Zenni's don't feel right, I thought I had Pd right but I find myself having to look out the left side of things to focus the best.

I have run into this with my progressive bifocals as well. I notice that my head is pointing down most of the time. The transition is blurry as well and requires some head bobbing to get the right focus sometimes.

I am considering going back to straight bifocals on my next pair of glasses.

There are many different types of progressive lenses with different sizes and shapes of the near vision section. Most lens manufacturers offer free replacement lenses if a different type of progressive lens is needed. A good "willing to work with you" optometrist is invaluable for getting a good fit for your vision needs.

I was reluctant to make the switch but have been wearing progressives for about 4 years now. Yes, some minor distortion is normal if you aren't looking directly at the object.

I'd get the lenses checked. I had trouble with one of them at first too.

After a while you get used to moving your head instead of moving your eyes.

I won't go back to bifocals either. My arms were either too short or too long. With progressives they're just right.

Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
There are many different types of progressive lenses with different sizes and shapes of the near vision section. Most lens manufacturers offer free replacement lenses if a different type of progressive lens is needed. A good "willing to work with you" optometrist is invaluable for getting a good fit for your vision needs.

The local place did offer free conversion back to single prescription if I didn't like them, but oh boy was it expensive, like $375 just for lenses. I wasn't sure I really wanted to go down that route just yet, not when I've managed just fine without. I get the premise that it's something I wear 16+ hours a day, so it's worth the money, and after this experiment it appears that I won't be happy with a cheap pair.

I might have to get another cheap pair of cheap glasses, but maybe just as readers, to see how I like that. I'm not too far off from losing desire to read books without glasses. Even with the reader adjustment my prescription (for reading) is still negative so I can't buy over the counter readers for that (plus each of my eyes needs a different correction).

Originally Posted by AandPDan

I'd get the lenses checked. I had trouble with one of them at first too.

It was an online pair, not sure how to / if worthwhile to fix.

After a while you get used to moving your head instead of moving your eyes.

Kinda like being an owl, eh? I guess with age comes wisdom, thus looking around like an owl is fitting. Or so I can try to convince myself.

I am nearsighted but far enough along that I wore my glasses all the time, distance, computer and reading.

About 15 years ago I had trouble with the fine print in my reading on the job. I resigned that I would either have to get used to progressive lens, or find a new career. You better believe I got used to them real fast with those choices in mind.

The Pd is more sensitive in a progressive part of the lens since the focus point is relatively small.
It is also relative to the size/area of the frame.

That is why it is difficult to size when ordering online.

I wonder how they allowed or figured what your Segment Height ( i.e. Seg Height or SH) should have been on your new lens? They do not appear to ask for that information and isn't it needed to get the lens transition in the best position for your glasses ?

What they do at a store is to draw the focal point on the fake lens attached to the frame you choose.
Or they can use a tool to get the correct measurement.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I have run into this with my progressive bifocals as well. I notice that my head is pointing down most of the time. The transition is blurry as well and requires some head bobbing to get the right focus sometimes.

I am considering going back to straight bifocals on my next pair of glasses.

I had to get bifocals for my most recent glasses. They're progressive and I pretty much hate them ! My problem is, with my vision, glasses and frames cost me close to $600 so it's expensive to say "screw it" and get something else. I also think I'd prefer line bifocals over progressives. I think a fixed break/line would work better because if you think about the progressive aspect, what they're doing is blending the prescription or magnification from your normal RX into the magnified area. That blended area is a "blur" of strengths, pun intended !!

I also find that how they sit on my face/nose is way too critical. If I sweat or my face gets oily (natural oils), my glasses slide down my nose, which messes up how I see through the different parts of the lens. Or, I've had these for over a year and can't get them adjusted properly so I can wear them full-time. At work, I have to wear my old, non-bifocals because I can't "see" the computer properly with the bifocals. I've moved the monitor back and forth, up and down, and so on with no luck.

Was talked into trying progressives once. Took them back and had them replace with bifocals in the 30 day tryout period. Didn't like the small area of correction and as others have said the need to move your head around to fine tune for that small area. I have the top edge of the bifocal lens higher than normal for shooting iron sights on handguns and rifles.

Good frames are essential. I would rather spend the money in good frames and just get lenses replaced as needed or warranted. I currently have a pair of Oakley frames I got at LensCrafter. They have held up well.

I had the same problem with slipping. Silicone nose pads and adjusting eliminated that. My Oakleys have a silicone rubber sock that slides over the ear pieces and adds stability.

I always get good frames. My sister is an optician and can get vouchers sometimes or other times has their rep sell them to me deeply discounted. My current frames are Carreras. The $600 I referred to above includes well over $500 for just the lenses (high-index, 1.74 (something to do with thinness), Transitions, rolled/polished edges, etc, etc). She works in a high-end, eye doctor shop and she can't do much on pricing for lenses. Our daughter wears contacts and my sister has told us how much they sell the contact lenses for (close to $100 when I get them for $40-45 from Sam's) and has no way to discount them for us. She tells us to buy them from Sam's or Walmart !

I've been hit or miss on my cheap frames from Zenni. So far the plastic ones I've disliked while the metal framed ones are ok, although getting the right size has been problematic.

I did have the lenses replaced in my good set from the local place, forget what the price was but for single prescription was still $90 or $150 or something like that. But I do like this pair of glasses quite a bit.

I believe in paying up for top quality progressive lenses. Think how many hours a day you use them. I have had many vision prescriptions filled with the Varilux brand and have been very satisfied. The one time I opted for a cheaper brand (Kodak I think), i was disappointed.

I'm on my second set of varalux progressives. Wear my glasses about two years between exams. I was also concerned about going from single to bifocals. With very little adjustment I would take them over traditional bifocals anyday.

I have a pair of top end progressives. There is a fairly wide area at the bottom that is in focus for reading, a mid area in focus for the computer and the bulk of the lens in focus for distance. They work very well.

Quality frames plus high end progressive lenses cost about $1,000 (in Canada). But this may be an area where you get what you pay for. I wouldn't consider having separate readers or old style bifocals.

I usually buy new frames and lenses every couple of years, but last time I had a very good set of frames fitted with new lenses. That has worked out very well. And it "only" cost about $600.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
I believe in paying up for top quality progressive lenses. Think how many hours a day you use them. I have had many vision prescriptions filled with the Varilux brand and have been very satisfied. The one time I opted for a cheaper brand (Kodak I think), i was disappointed.
I never knew there were different companies that made lenses. Any idea who Walmart uses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back