Progressive insurance - non-customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such a shame too. Flo seems like and honest person too. Now I see Progressive has the Snapshot discount where you plug that thing into your OBD port so they can monitor your driving. Probably a device to raise your rates.

I recently read an article that stated that the same insurance company be licensed and can issue policies in the same state under slightly different names. Ie: Progressive Ins could be one and Progressive Ins Auto another etc. they do this so that they can go to the ins commissioner in the state and obtain different rates for each company depending on the class/type of customers that it does business with.

Whether health ins, auto ins, life ins, any insurance I have come to believe none of the companies can be trusted to do the right thing, only the bottom line matters! there is some weight to having a really good agent to go to bat for you as well; something the direct writers like Geico etc cannot offer

Well they have to be cheap when it comes to paying claims so that they can spam the TV airways with that " princess of annoying" ..... "Flo"

I hate those commercials to death.

I have been a customer for 11 years and absolutely no complaints. They bend over backwards as a customer. Although my only few claims were very minor. Like I said before I got higher estimates from Progessive and went to a top tier body shop pretending not to have insurance and got excellent body work actually collecting a tiny bit of money.

Recently a hit to my Subaru by an uninsured driver ends up being $300 in my pocket.

How Progressive works: My experience working for a GM dealer doing body shop parts in '02-'04. Progressive "conceriege" calls our body shop manager and says we have a GM vehicle for you. Being the preferred repair center for them we go down there, look at it and "bid" on the job. We go up against usually two or three other shops. We get the job usually being the lowest "bidder". Our shop "bids" let's say $3000. Right there thats our celing. We can request supplements but usually don't get half of what we're asking for. Job takes $3500 to fix car and now were in the hole for $500. Their cycle times are unreasonable too. They call for a repair time of five days. Pick the job up on Thursday and they want it back on Monday. Weekends count as workdays to them! Any later and we (the repair facility) eats the extra rental days. When we deliver the job back to the "conceriege" they go over it as if it were a 1000 point show car and nitpicked it to death. After two years of this we said ENOUGH, and told them to get lost!!

As I somehow expected would happen, Progressive blew the inspection of the truck. After driving 20 minutes to meet the Progressive adjuster at a place that was convenient for HIM, he promised that he would complete the inspection within 25 minutes and have us on our way.

Fifty (50) minutes later, we were handed the paperwork, and were finally were able to leave. As a result of this continued sloppiness by Progressive, Dad was late getting back to work. Dad let the Progressive adjuster have it, for screwing with his day.

Good job, Progressive. One screw up after another.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I'm almost afraid of coming across as an [censored] here, but why didn't you just leave after 25 minutes if you informed them of your time constraint? On the way out the door, politely inform them it's their turn to come to you now.

Originally Posted By: Spector
Whether health ins, auto ins, life ins, any insurance I have come to believe none of the companies can be trusted to do the right thing, only the bottom line matters! there is some weight to having a really good agent to go to bat for you as well; something the direct writers like Geico etc cannot offer

By definition, the "right thing" to them is to maximize revenue - that's the basis of "for profit" insurance companies. That will mean delaying, minimizing, eliminating whatever costs they can in doing the minimum (or less if possible) to fulfill their obligation as THEY define it. "Trust" or "the right thing" as defined by the claimant does not enter into the equation.

I am required by law to carry UI uninsured motorist insurance in my state. actually came in very handy last year. I'm with USAA and they went ahead and paid out on our totaled van, with arrangements to get paid back by the other insurer. They said that otherwise, I'd have to wait for that insurance company to cover it.

Turned out, there was something shady going on, as that driver was specifically excluded from the policy--- tho she was driving with the policy holder riding with her.

so USAA had already paid me out, went to subro, and I doubt they recovered anything. the people that hit us lived behind our church. 3 months after the accident, the home was vacant.

I like full coverage, and I like UIM coverage.

M

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Good job, Progressive. One screw up after another.

Why haven't you at this point pulled the plug on going through Progressive for the repairs and service, and talked directly with your Parent's insurance company, and gotten the better service that they pay for with their own company?

Do they only have liability coverage?

BC.

And it gets nothing but worse...

When the adjuster for Progressive inspected the truck, we provided to him a copy of the estimate from the body shop that we preferred.

He reviewed the estimate from the body shop, wrote his own estimate, and didn't act like there'd be any problem.

Late this afternoon, the body shop completed the repairs on the truck. The repairs went well, and they finished about a half day early. The Progressive rep showed up at the body shop to pay the bill.

Progressive refused to pay $44 of the bill, and now the body shop is refusing to release the truck.

When the Progressive rep reviewed the bill for the repairs today, he only allowed $52 an hour labor for the repairs to the frame, instead of the shop's $60 an hour rate.

However, the $60 an hour rate was CLEARLY LISTED on the estimate that I PROVIDED to the Progressive adjuster. That rate was no secret, and NOW Progressive refuses to pay it.

So, the truck is being held hostage while Progressive acts immaturely, and refuses to pay the entire bill.... and while the charges for the rental vehicle continue at $42 per day.

So, the fact that they refused to pay a $44 charge has been nearly erased by the fact that the rental car has already cost them an additional $42 a day.

And please, don't try to convince me how well Progressive has treated you in the past. This appears to be a new cut-throat strategy by Progressive. They've never pulled this stunt with the body shop before.

This is nothing more than a dirty tactic to get the body shops to reduce their labor rate to whatever Progressive wants to pay, and the body shop is refusing to go along with it.

Originally Posted By: JasonC
Stick to your guns, it's the principal of the matter.

Especially if they continue to pay for the rental. I would rack up the rental charges as high as you can.

I agree that you are getting the run around with Progressive, but experiences seems to vary across the country. What sucks is that even our shift to a service oriented economy is failing.

Please let us know the final outcome.

The body shop has advised me that Progressive will likely stop paying for the rental at the end of the day today, as that is when the repairs were originally expected to be complete.

At that point, they will start charging the rental to Dad's credit card number, which was supplied for the "security deposit".

Sadly, the stress, aggravation, and loss of vehicle use may not be worth the battle for only $44. What's important is that you are satisfied with the repair work. You know the old saying..... "choose which battles to fight".

Feel good that the negative publicity created here will likely cost them many thousands of dollars.

Since the body shop's fight is with progressive, and you are more or less 'out of it', does the body shop have a right to hold the truch hostage?

I'd tell the body shop unless you have your truck back by the time the rental is being charged to youm, that THEY are on the hook for the rental, b/c they are stopping you from having a vehicle.

The body shop has other ways to go after Progressive - you shouldn't be a hostage in this.

And, if it looks like the ONLY way to get the vehicle back is to pay the $44, I'd make sure that the paper or BB knew about what the body shop did - Id tell the manager of the body shop he is going to look bad in this as well.

Do you have a spare set of keys you can use to take the truck back? The body shop would have a hard time charging you with theft over $44 owed by another party.....

Am sorry to hear about all the stress and poor service/rip-off your folks received from Progressive. I agree it is probably best to return the rental and pay the $44.00 out of pocket. Progressive will keep jacking the price up and charging your dad's credit card if you don't return the rental. Then you can contact Progressive and maybe work your way up their chain of command to a supervisor, regional or district manager who will refund the $44.00.

I said it before but insurance companies are some of the lowest life forms on the planet. They collect millions in premiums but when you have a problem all they do is take advantage of you and pay as little as possible. I hope your folks come out OK and their car gets fixed right after all this is said and done.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Do you have a spare set of keys you can use to take the truck back?

The body shop knows that leaving the truck outside when they are not open is a huge "no-no".

They know me too well...

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Since the body shop's fight is with progressive, and you are more or less 'out of it', does the body shop have a right to hold the truch hostage?

Yes, I'd say that they do have a right to hold the truck.

The repairs have not been paid for "in full" by Progressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back