Problems With Interstate Batteries?

My go-to battery back in the day was the Sears Die Hard...that was a long time ago.
My next go-to was Interstate and I had one that was from up north and it had a 7 year warranty. That lasted almost 5 years of trouble-free service in Florida.
Now in Florida, Interstate does not offer the 7 year battery, since Florida batteries generally only last a couple years, so to warranty them out was a losing proposition for them.
I just had one replaced just within the 2 year warranty, but my replacement is already failing after only 2 months. Not holding a charge.
Interstate is good about honoring the 2 year warranty, so money is not the issue. Dependability and longevity is.

Not sure why my Interstate's are not lasting as long as they were before and what makes a good battery last longer, but I can't say that Interstate is my favorite any longer as far as quality and dependability are concerned, but their service so far has been great.

I feel like a lot of battery warranty times are decreasing. I thought there used to be 5 year replacement warranty now it seems to be 2 year replacement with 3 years pro rated

I guess if your serious about a quality battery without relying on warranty, what does your trusted local car audio shop recommend? Those guys tend to do Odyssey batteries or something extra?

Side note do not go Optimum, they are not the same as years prior.

I buy these cheapo Exides all day long for $53.99. Why pay more?

I run them 5 or 6 years, pull them out (when they're still working fine), put a new one in, and start over again. When it costs less than $1 a month... why wait for it to fail?

I’ve had nothing but good luck with Interstate Batteries. Had one last 10 years the other lasted 8. Their replacement Interstate ones are doing very well. They are the only brand I’ll buy. I understand there are very few battery manufacturers but Interstate has the highest quality standards so they are made better so that’s what makes them better. I wouldn’t waste money on anything else. Sorry about the issues you are experiencing.

I had bad luck with one in my camper, got just over a year.
Just put one on my truck, let's see what happens.
I have had better luck with walmart Maxx batteries than Advanced auto in the past

Not had any issues with the Walmart Maxx either. Will probably go with their AGM Platinum next time if I can get one when needed - H8/49. Far and away the best price, assuming they are of equitable/good quality. They have a 4-year warranty. Feedback anyone?

Interstate used to be all I used in my marine and RV applications. I noticed the same trend a few years ago. I have a boat cranking battery and an RV deep cycle battery that both expired in under 2 years.

So I switched to O’Reilly Auto Super Start batteries = all East Penn products. Been very happy with them so far.

The Maxx batteries are convenient for walmart walk in warranties. However, They DID have a 5 year prorated warranty with 3 year free exchange before clarios buyout. One thing I've learned is to have them use their big charger/tester not their hand held tester. I've had the maxx's pass the hand held but failed the big tester. I've bought many exide's in the past & I really liked them at first until.... I realized they were not lasting near as long as other batteries I've used. Namely the Maxx's. I'm leaving AGM & Lithiums out of my example.

Another thing that's apparent. I'm in TX for the winter & got to chatting with a canadian. I change my batteries at 3-3.5 years & the canadian said "I get 5 years outta my batteries". If there is anything I've learned about batteries in general is that Heat kills them fast.

Reactions: hrv
How would I know what brands are manufactured by Deka/East Penn batteries?
The Rural King 53.00 battery may be an option, even if just to have on hand as a backup. I didn't realize 53.00 batteries existed.

Another thing I should add is that my Suburban is a side post.
My local Interstate only offers the MT-78 as a side post option.
I have a couple of Interstate Marine batteries in my boat that are 3-1/2 years old and all I do is turn off the battery switch while not in use and start the boat for 20 minutes every month or 2 while I am not using it.
Again, these are older interstates and perhaps the marine batteries are held to a different standard?

Last edited:
The Rural King 53.00 battery may be an option, even if just to have on hand as a backup. I didn't realize 53.00 batteries existed.
They'll usually say it on the sticker but like the ones they sell at Oreilly's Auto I don't think they display that but they should know which ones. I don't think they are all deka batteries though so be carefull.

It can be tricky telling. Some store brands can be different manufacturers regionally.
In my area(Northern NY)
Walmart and Sam's club are made by Deka, and my local Auto Value store sells Deka branded batteries.
A couple good tell tale signs are a flat top with oval vents on the sides, and a textured finish on the plastic .
Not all Dekas have these features but most do.
A few part numbers still have rectangle vents.
And I've seen a few with smooth plastic.

Back