Pro Logix PL2310 or PL2320 and Charging Rate

Hello All,

I am looking at purchasing a charger for a Costco Interstate 730 CCA H6 (48) size flooded lead acid battery with a 70AH capacity, although I am having a hard time determining the correct maximum charging rate and charger size (Interstate doesn't appear to publish data sheets with this information, and their customer service was no help). Some online sources I have read state that this size battery should be charged at .1C (7 amps), others at .2-.25C (14-17.5 amps), and others say anything below .3C (21 amps) is acceptable.

I like the Pro Logix chargers best for the great reviews and the good features at the price point including the multi-select charge rate, ability to charge from 0 volts, "exercise mode" maintainer, power supply mode. The Pro Logix PL2320 has a 20 amp "fast" charge setting which would allow full charging in 3.5 hours, and it would be nice to be able to use the vehicle in the same day if you come out to find a completely flat battery.

Would it be safe to charge this battery at 20 amps without harming the battery life, or otherwise detrimentally affecting the battery? The standard charge rate on the PL2320 is 10 amp, which is also higher than the lowest charge rate of 7 amps (.1C) I came across. Would I be better off to go with the PL2310 which has a 6 amp standard charge rate that is closest to the .1C charge rate, or would it be ok to go with the PL2320 with the 10 amp standard and 20 amp fast charge rate?

Last edited:
Someone will come along with expert advice. My decision would be to get the PL 2310. It has 10 amps when you want a slightly faster charge, and the 6 amp when you want a "more healthy" charge. The 10 amps would probably get the battery good enough in about 1 hour to use the vehicle. While it would be best practice to charge a dead battery to full charge before using, I have done otherwise numerous times. Sometimes I have to jump start a dead workplace vehicle and then we use it immediately. A dead vehicle battery is a rare occasion for me. I would not buy the 20 amp charger to accommodate this once, maybe twice a year event. Maybe your situation is different? The PL2310 seems to be better matched to your battery size.

The 2320 gives you the option to chose 20A, 10A and 2A so you are not tied into just the 20A rate. It does give you the option though if you have to get the car started quicker. Most starting batteries can take the higher rate till they hit 80% charge or so.

The 20 amp is currently cheaper on Amazon.

in my guesstimation, the period of time where it draws more than 10 amps will probably be fairly short, comparatively. the primary advantage I see is the 2320 should have better capacity to stay cooler, hopefully extending its life.

I have the 2310, and it has revived several batteries that were dead. It’s been worth every penny; I will occasionally hook it up to each one of my vehicles and let it do its thing for 24 hours to lengthen battery life. The battery in my Impreza is from 2015 and has been on this routine for the past 3 years and still has no problems.

I got a couple NOCO Genius2Ds for my zero turn and Harley since their battery locations are not as conducive to getting the larger clamps of the 2310 in there. I think the 2310 would be a great purchase.

The 20 amp is currently cheaper on Amazon.
I'm seeing the same thing. Between those two models definitely buy the 20, because the 10 is practically the same price.

In cheap generic chargers you can get a 10 amp for under $30, but 20 amp models are a lot more.

Can anyone approximately quantify the degradation that would occur when doing routine frequent charging at 10 amps vs 6 amps? The PL2320 would seem to be more versatile for that occasional ability to fast charge at 20 amps, as long as normal charging at 10 amps wouldn't cause a negative effect over charging at 6 amps with the PL2310. As far as price goes, I am able to get the PL2310 much cheaper at $61 vs $89 for the PL2320, however, I was originally leaning to the PL2320 for the fast charge ability as long as I can confirm it won't be detrimental for my battery over the long term.

Last edited:
Consider that your alternator is probably capable of producing 50-100 amps and will charge your battery as fast as it will take a charge at 14.2-14.7 volts. The chargers you are looking at are Smart Chargers and will reduce the current and voltage as the battery charges, they are not the old transformer/diode manual types. The ratings on the chargers are the MAX they can deliver at those settings not necessarily the current they will deliver during the charge. Either of them will be safe but the larger one will be faster if the charger determines the battery can take it.

Can anyone approximately quantify the degradation that would occur when doing routine frequent charging at 10 amps vs 6 amps?
Zero.
Buy the 20A charger.
20A charging will not damage your 70Ah battery.
Excessively high charging voltage can damage the battery.

I looked up the manual… the charging profile is very conservative… it looks very similar to a noco genius. It’s not going to stress a battery. If anything, it will be effective at charging, but less effective at performing a maintenance or conditioning charge, again, like the noco. I’d go with the 20.

It looks like the majority are recommending the 20 amp, so I think I will go that route. Thank you all for the advice.

Last edited:
Back