Prius owners/mechanics please chime in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a serious issue when starting my prius this morning. Drove fine last night on the way home - 50+ miles; turned it on this morning and got the red triangle of death, check engine (solid), and on the display it said "Problem" and had the car in red with exclamation mark. called in and asked dealership if it was om to drive or should i have it towed 50 miles. he said to drive it and if check engine light flashes then stop. i started it and turned it off several times. stayed on. had my wife jump in so i could hear any noises while she backed up and drove a half block. everything sounded fine. she turned it off, i turned it back on and everything except the solid check engine light did not light up (cel stayed on). drove it to town 50 miles without a hiccup. had codes ran and heres what came up from AAP :

link error PO171 bank 1 system too lean (said something about oxygen not getting in to fuel system and could damage the car seriously the more we drove it)

P3191, unsure of what it meant

and the PO171 popped up again.

i would take it to the dealership but they are going to charge $100 to run diagnostic and whatever else (could be $500+). so, is it simple as a pcv valve or a small process? whats your thoughts? serious lights have not come on again but cel stays solid yet. checked gas cap and oil level, all fluids fine the oil level is at half on dipstick so has been consuming a lot lately; gas mileage is the same but wife said there was hesitation when she took it in today with accelleration for 2 seconds.

Prius owner here. I think you should clean your throttle body and the maf sensor (take it easy with it, it's sensitive and expensive). Also check that you have not overfilled the engine with oil. Drain some if you did.

Your problem should be solved.

Before going to Priuschat, make sure your virus protection is up to date and active. I don't know about recently, but in the past they've had really bad virus problems on that forum. I had to do a fresh windows install once because of a virus I got on Priuschat.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Is a Prius hybrid worth the added expense compared to a Corolla ?

IMO...NO. It was a good deal with the tax incentives but now go for the Toyota Corolla.

Originally Posted By: mongo161

IMO...NO. It was a good deal with the tax incentives but now go for the Toyota Corolla.

wait...what?

I'm assuming LT4Vette is trying to decide between a Corolla or a Prius. And by added expense do you mean the initial cost of buying one? Big misconception that they cost more to maintain, folks just love to hate on it because it's so superior and different to other vehicles, sorry folks but it's true.

I want to say this is the first problem I've EVER, EVER had with this Prius if you can even call it a problem. There's no problem driving it except for the annoyance of the CEL on the dashboard. And now I'm reading up that it could be as simple as a bad 12V battery. I'm checking that out in the morning. Anyways they are both good cars but I would buy another Prius in a HEARTBEAT, even if this turns out to be an expensive fix. No other car that has had 170k on it drives as smooth and as easy as this Prius. Absolutely none. Plus, the Corolla's MPG is nice (my FIL has one) but is nowhere compared to the Prius. We're talking +20 mpg on the Prius on an average day, +30 or more on a good day.

Just saying.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Plus, the Corolla's MPG is nice (my FIL has one) but is nowhere compared to the Prius. We're talking +20 mpg on the Prius on an average day, +30 or more on a good day.

Just saying.

Wow, my moms '04 TDI Jetta gets 48MPG
21.gif

Originally Posted By: asand1
Plus, the Corolla's MPG is nice (my FIL has one) but is nowhere compared to the Prius. We're talking +20 mpg on the Prius on an average day, +30 or more on a good day.

Just saying.

21.gif

With TDI (diesel) and manual transmission... maybe. The rating is 42 for manual trans, 39 for automatic with TDI. With the gas engine, 28-30.

The thing I don't like about the Prius is the battery packs cost as much as a low priced used car. $2,000-$4000 is like an engine and/or transmission going out sat the same time. Ouch! Maybe it's just because I'm so far down on the income scale... I dunno.

I'd buy a TDI VW before I'd buy a Prius.

i would take it to the dealership but they are going to charge $100 to run diagnostic

Seriously? They have a Techscan system that can pinpoint your issue in real time and $100 for time on a system that costs thousands of dollars seems like a deal to me. It might be something simple but than again you might do serious damage to your car by not getting the correct diagnostic. Sounds kind of foolish to me.

Last edited:

Not when they get older...once past 100k they will begin to be money pits and you need to be tethered to the dealer due to the level of technology in the vehicle.

Big misconception that they cost more to maintain, folks just love to hate on it because it's so superior and different to other vehicles, sorry folks but it's true.

What do you mean? You aren't even willing to spend $100 to find out what is wrong with it.

folks just love to hate on it because it's so superior and different to other vehicles, sorry folks but it's true.

Yeah, that's exactly it.
crazy.gif

Different yes, superior no.

TDI's are just as costly and finicky when abused. Still love'em, wish I could fit a passive regen DPF to mine in non-super costly manner.

You can't post anything on BITOG without prius haters coming out from the trees and circling the wagons. This is why I'm tired of BITOG.

21.gif

My own prius does 60 MPG in city driving. Can your mom's Jetta do it too? And yes, go tell her I'm picking on you.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

21.gif

My own prius does 60 MPG in city driving. Can your mom's Jetta do it too? And yes, go tell her I'm picking on you.

Does your Prius use alternative fuels? Can it even? Can it be carbon neutral?

You see how pointless it is to disagree with the fact someone just doesn't like an appliance on wheels. Opinions vary...deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back