Primer? For wall that wallpaper was removed?

I removed wall paper, there's some residues left which I plan to sand and scrape more. There's some paper from the sheetrock that came off so I may spot with jc. Can I prime using drywall primer or do I need to use a latex paint primer or do I have to go to Zinsser's Gardz? I either go to Home Depot, Lowe's, or a local Benjamin Moore store that heavily discounts there products.

I use Benjamin Moore Fresh Start latex primer (N023) on everything that I don't need stain blocking on. We steamed wallpaper off of four bathrooms in our house and used fresh start and have had no issues. Depending on how deep the gouges in the wall are from the paper tearing I have had better luck with setting-type joint compound (mostly Easy Sand 20 because I'm impatient).

My only gripe about the Fresh Start primer is that it's very thin and likes to spatter.

If you plan on repainting: Spot prime the torn damaged sheetrock areas before spackling with Zinsser Gardz. Once the spackling is done and polished prime with Benjamin Moore Fresh Start, or Bullseye 123.

Last edited:
The BM store said I should be using Zinsser Cover Stain, a painter friend said after scraping he uses Cover Stain also because the oil base is thicker than latex and will fill in most of the nooks and crannies leaving less to skim coat with joint compound. They were right. I did it today. Wednesday I will fill in where I need to.

Back