Removing Wallpaper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy first...It is sheet rock. 24 years ago. We don't know if it was primed or not. I can do some more peeling if you need me to.

Here are some pics of the wallpaper.

OK lets try this: Take a sponge wet it and press it against the paper and let me know if it is absorbed or rolls off. Try and really soak it. If it absorbs it, soak it again, and once again, then scratch thru to the wall with a finger nail or small paint scraper.

If the paper doesn't absorb the water and the water rolls off, try peeling the striped pattern from the wall. If the backing remains soak as I mentioned above.

Do an area so I can see the exposed wall. Once I have an idea of what's going on we can go from there.

I had a small bathroom with some kind of vinyl wallpaper that would not come off easily. Scored it, soaked it with remover. It was leaving a backing on the sheetrock. I finally quit screwing with it and just re-sheet rocked the bathroom. Seemed easier to me than a lot of tearing scraping and removing.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Ok, you have some great ideas. Let me add a wrinkle.

The other walls in our house are done in what I have heard call "knockdown." This is the texture she wants in the bathrooms. Is there some way to cover the wallpaper with a type of sealer and then get this type of look on the walls.

In other words, this is type of look we want to end up with.

Technically that's an awful look. It's the cheap way out of a job and lots of contractors sell it like it's a good look, but it's not. Basically you just texture the walls so you don't have to come back and sand the walls. Most people don't like it but I guess there are some out there that do. Smooth walls cost more money.

Anyway, the standard methods of removing wallpaper are basically mentioned above. One other way is to just skim coat over it. I'd advise against painting over it. Although it may look good 98% of the time, you can tell it's painted over wall paper either because of the seams or the corners or the tops/bottoms of the wallpaper will not be perfect.

Thanks for the cut down. In our area this is the most expensive way to do walls at about $7 more per sheet. Very labor intensive and many buckets of "goop." The nearest dry wallers that we have found to do it are 2 hours away. It's too time consuming for most contractors is what I have been told.

We've had people come to our house and ask to see it because they heard about it. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Technically that's and awfull look?! That makes NO SENSE!! This is a CLASSIC wall board look! I did MY bathroom this way using plaster of Paris. You have to work fast with that stuff sets up HARD real fast! Still is great 16 years later. I did give it a think coat of bamboo green tint paint - Barely off white.

The cheap junk look is Popcorn - usually used on ceilings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Technically that's and awfull look?! That makes NO SENSE!! This is a CLASSIC wall board look! I did MY bathroom this way using plaster of Paris. You have to work fast with that stuff sets up HARD real fast! Still is great 16 years later. I did give it a think coat of bamboo green tint paint - Barely off white.

The cheap junk look is Popcorn - usually used on ceilings.

Must be a local thing then. Some people love it or hate it. Everyone likes smooth walls. You never see that look in any commercial place and for good reason. Like I said, it's considered a cheap way out by contractors. They just do that pattern, then leave, they don't have to come back to sand and paint it.

Demarpaint,

The water soaked in. Will these pics give you what you need? Do I need to soak a bigger area? My wife is so happy because she can see I am committed at this point. This wall paper is only in the bathrooms. The last pic you can see where I rubbed more of the glue off the sheet rock.

Great, get some fabric softner and hot water. Use about 8 ounces to a gallon of hot water, it can be made stronger if needed, but I doubt it. Spray it on and let it soak, then repeat as needed. You'll know when it's ready to remove, it will scrape off easily with your finger nail. Let it soak, and let the solution do the work. Keep in mind if the knock down texture wasn't properly primed and painted you might be removing some of that too. If the knock down does come off you can remove it as well and have smooth walls if you desire. If you decide to go that route let me know and I'll walk you through it. If not you might be doing some knock down texturing. We can cross those bridges when we come to them.

Any fabric softener work better than another? I guess if it did you would have told me.

Here we go...

Thank you!

Any fabric softener work better than another? I guess if it did you would have told me.

Here we go...

Thank you!

You're welcome. The cheap stuff works fine. lol Good luck.

Skim over it with mud and texture over that? i've sealed them with a primer and skimmed and textured over that several times.

My drywall skills on a good day pretty much look like knock-down texture.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: JTK
My drywall skills on a good day pretty much look like knock-down texture.
crazy2.gif

You have 4 kiddos... Who has time to look at the walls?
are they (walls) unscathed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back