Price of yearly oil change

I have 7 personal vehicles and I prefer to do my own oil changes, since it gives me time with the vehicle to inspect for other issues, top off fluids, etc. and to ensure it's done right with quality parts. I have about 3-5 years worth of oil filters, pan gaskets, and oil on hand for each vehicle. I purchased multiples of some vehicles, or vehicles that are close enough to share some parts for simplicity and ease of maintenance and familiarity.

I buy stuff in bulk and on sale. As a result, my typical oil filters (Motorcraft, Mobile 1, and Denso) average $4 each and the 3 main oils I stock (0w40, 5w20, 5w30) are synthetic and bought in bulk on sale averaging well under $3 per quart. In 2020 when oil went NEGATIVE price, I bought several years worth; one example is a deal on Amazon for Valvoline full synthetic 5 quart bottles for $11 each. I bought the maximum, 5 bottles (25 quarts) for $60 total with free shipping (that's $2.40 per quart). You can routinely get fully synthetic 5 quart bottles on sale at Costco with free shipping for members, at about $2.50 per quart (the brand is made in the same Warren factory as other high quality brands, it's essentially the same as leading brands). I use only high quality full synthetic and became a believer probably 10 years ago. Fully synthetic is fantastic. I know oil doesn't quickly "expire" but I use a marker to label the date purchased so I can more easily rotate thru my stocks.

My vehicles take between 5 - 7 quarts each, so with filter (and $1 oil pan gasket if necessary), my oil changes run between
$17 - $23 each. There is some time involved, but it's not significant and I find the time spent to be added value. I do oil changes annually on average. I cannot put 5000 miles on any single vehicle in a year, so annual is what I do. My mileage per vehicle per change is typically between 1000 to 4000 miles between changes, annually. So this means I spend under $25 once per year per vehicle on a quality oil change. That's not expensive.

With 7 vehicles and working from home, I struggle to put significant miles on any of my vehicles. I have to rotate thru them, and I often just go for highway joy rides to get them up to operating temps on a regular basis.

Anyway, the point is oil changes are not hard nor expensive and they are a good way to get personal with your vehicle.

*Why do I stock so much? Convenience, costs, and I suspect oil prices and inflation will drive oil higher in the long term so having it on hand is money in the bank.
* Why do I have 7 cars? My cars are generally older, less expensive, and easier to maintain than more modern tech bloated cars. When I find a good reliable older vehicle that has a good long-term reputation, I buy it...

What are your favorite vehicles that fit this?
This is my garage.

Toyota Tundras and 4Runner share many basic parts or at least familiarity with the legendary 4.7L engine mated with the very reliable 4 speed auto. Very reliable and excellent vehicles. I have 3. Best trucks or SUVs you can buy in my view. This gives the variety of pickups in 4x4, 2WD, and 4x4 SUV capabilities.

The Ford Panther platform with the 4.6L is very affordable today, and overall an excellent reliable vehicle (one notable exception to be mindful of, is the manifold gaskets which sometimes fail and need replacing). These "fleet cars" (Crown Vic, Mercury Grand Marquis & Marauder, and Lincoln Town Car) were widely produced for many markets and very successful long term. A good reliable strong motor mated with a good transmission. Minimal problems, and most were minor. Comfortable, relatively fast, 5 star crash ratings. I have 2. For a safe, reliable, affordable V8 cruiser these are hard to beat for the low cost.

I have 2 other vehicles that are unique. An older 2WD Ford Explorer Sport, which has a reliable 4.0L SOHC and is great for milk runs or dog park runs. Very affordable, good long term reputation for reliability. Sufficient for light duty SUV needs.

And a Dodge Challenger SRT8, well, because it's just a heck of a lot of fun! :) Not electric, not tech bloated, but crazy fun... Mine is a 6.4L manual which is IMO the best motor trans option. The 5.7L auto is plagued with cam and lifter problems, MDS problems, and timing chain problems.

I continually look for multiples of these as they suit me well and I like commonality. But I have my eye on a few other vehicles, some older Honda Accords & Preludes, Lexus cars and SUVs, and Chevy pickup trucks... keep watching the markets.

I will NOT become an electric car guy...

Attachments

• DSC04491.JPG
    DSC04491.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 005_3A.jpg
    005_3A.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 71335928_449839458948581_1962550258974064640_n2.jpg
    71335928_449839458948581_1962550258974064640_n2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 84756432_10216716933584239_7735737095146176512_n.jpg
    84756432_10216716933584239_7735737095146176512_n.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Resized_20200522_194503.jpeg
    Resized_20200522_194503.jpeg
    324 KB · Views: 17
  • img (12).jpg
    img (12).jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC04219 R.jpg
    DSC04219 R.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Well I just swung by wally-world to get a filter and some oil for my yearly service on my 2UZ-FE 4runner.
5qt jug of M1 high mileage extended performance, plus 2 extra qts, and a Fram Ultraguard 3600. Almost $60 for everything. Anyone know what the going rate for this same oil change at a lube shop is running nowadays? $100+?
Dealer in my area: $70 or so includes car wash, vacuum, tire rotation. Other dealers in area $85-95 for the same. Independent shop $49.99 oil change + $12 for the rotation with a car wash.

When I change it myself (less often than in the past when I had more time and never had someone else do it) I buy 5qts for $20 or less (NAPA on sale, Super Tech regular price, other brands on sale) and an Extra Guard for $4 or less.

Throw some Kirkland or Super Tech or something in it and call it a year...

I have a boatload of clearance PP-10W30 I scored for $3.68/jug. I don't drive my F150 much, so a yearly change with a new Motorcraft filter runs about $12. My wife's Optima get's about 3 changes a year, all under $20 ea. She's shopping for a new Stinger and I suspect it will be about the same.
My daughter couldn't make it up from CT last year due to covid and she paid $89 for an oil change at Valvoline. Ouch.

I spend more on car washes than oil changes for sure. I buy clearance and promotional oils or kirkland at a good price. Going To go to a 20k Rated Mobil 1 filter. 3 bucks more but twice as far so I get to save a filter change and purchase and save a couple bucks.
for car washes I go and pay 35 -39bucks a month for a washtub unlimited car washes. They vacuum clean the windows hand dry it clean my floor mats keeps it fresh. so whenever I come home into town from a trip it gets washed. Not a paint and polish guy so I just like to keep it clean and the inside clean and smelling good.
54600 miles in the 2018 taco I have been driving for three years so almost 20 k a year and it may go up.

Last edited:
Ok here you go a premium Aussie oil change (this is me doing it):

1. 6.5 litres of any quality oil $150.
2. Oil filter $12-$33 depends on which one, that's the spread between K&N silver and Royal purple. Factory filter is $25.
3. Liqui Moly engine flush $25

So, around the $200 mark X 2 per year.

A little less than $20 per oil change. Some of the fleet has 6Qt capacity and some 3-4Qt capacity and the filter prices vary by a couple of dollars.

Four quarts oil (actually five) Maul-Mart Pennzoil 0W-40 jug on discount, $3
Filter, Wix 51356XP, Rock Auto, $7

$10 total, with a quart leftover...

Last edited:
My other car, a Saturn SL2, was 97 cents (Rock Auto) for Champion COS-3600
Oil was Shell Rotella Gas Truck, 4 1/2 quarts, 5W-30, 60 cents after rebate (state tax)

Total $1.57, with half a quart leftover...

Last edited:
I see what's going on here.

2018 Elantra. 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 AP. Needs 4.25 quarts. Cost was -$10 after clearance and rebate.
Napa Gold 1334 oil filter, NAPA Gold 200420 air filter, and NAPA EnviroShield 230319. Cost was -$3.24 for all 3 filters during NAPA's filter sale and after $20 rebate & account discount.

Total -$13.24 (They paid me) for 5 quarts and all 3 filters, with 3/4 of a quart leftover.

This is why I have 1,355 quarts... 👑

I highly suggest a MityVac. Easy peasy.
Change the filter every 2nd or 3rd time.
Seriously.
View attachment 50660
In NH with the nasty weather over Winter I've had to change my FILTER multiple times and leave the oil in!
One time it was an inverted ADBV and the other it was ripped media. on an oversized $14 Honda?FILTECH S2000 spec filter I was running on the Nissan 4 banger. I have posted photos here or that "concern" in the C&P section.

As far as sving money on oil changes. My Cable bill is over $250/mo.
I'm not concerned about 40 bucks a couple times a year! Call me a 1 percenter :)

Wife's car costs about $9, got a dozzel jugs of VWB a few years ago for $1 each and an $8 NAPA gold filter.

Trucks costs about $30,

It can vary greatly. The local VIOC chain I once worked for is pretty expensive, I think I was thinking of having them change oil on my car in winter. Even the synblend MaxLife was like $75 for a change. I passed. The place I worked at 20 years ago is now again a local place with Mobil. They charge $60 for Supersyn $80 for M1 and $100 for M1EP. However they do offer coupons that can take $10 or more off.

My friend that tends bar at a local restaurant had his F150 changed with full syn for $32 because the place he works has an account there....

Anyone know what the going rate for this same oil change at a lube shop is running nowadays? $100+?
I'm not sure what you mean by a "lube shop." Do you mean a place like Jiffy Lube, etc?
My shops will charge about $50.00 to do an oil/filter change, but that includes a check of a lot of wear items and other fluids, checking tire pressure, etc.

I have always done my own oil changes, but I recently moved to an apartment and I have a very long commute so I am going to be putting a lot of miles on my 2016 Civic now. Because of that (and the fact that it has an annoying skid plate), I will be using a fast lube place for it's oil changes (and it's only around $70 with Castrol Magnatec so that's not too bad) I will still be doing my own changes in the Corvette since it's only about once a year that it needs to be done and I have moved my race ramps (and other oil change neccessities) over to my father's house so I can do the oil change there. I don't even want to know how much an oil change for the Corvette would be at a fast lube place, they'll surely charge a ton of money because it needs 7 quarts (most places only give up to 5 quarts in their packages and anything above that is a huge extra cost)

I don't even want to know how much an oil change for the Corvette would be at a fast lube place, they'll surely charge a ton of money because it needs 7 quarts (most places only give up to 5 quarts in their packages and anything above that is a huge extra cost)
For some reason I wouldn't trust them, and I wonder if most quick lube places would even stock Dexos2 oil.

Back