Price of transmission service.

Just have them do a fluid exchange. I do the Truck and Malibu myself. The truck calls for every 45,000 miles. I can't remember what
the Malibu says, but I did at 40,000.

The Caprice is also 45,000, but I had the dealer do an exchange. No solvents or additives. It was 280 dollars. Fluid alone would have
coast me about 120 bucks.

300 bucks isn't out of line.

In November I put a dipstick and deep pan in the Caprice so I can do it myself next time.

I have a 2019 Sorento with just over 41K miles on it, so I made an appt. to get my transmission fluid changed. The dealer emails back that it's gonna be $300.00. WOW! Seems like a lot of money for this one thing. It did mention something about "BG automatic transmission fluid flush". Is this some special, amazing fluid or procedure?
Am I getting ripped off? The car has only ever been to the dealer for maint, as we like going there, and want to keep going there as much as possible.
My wife drives a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe w/the six speed transmission. Around 45,000 miles the shifting wasn't as good as before. I took it to a neighborhood Tire/Valvoline shop who used Max life to change it out. The price was $200.00. All the dealers wanted a little more than that and they also used BG transmission fluid. The transmission fluid was very dark. I am told that's a characteristic of Hyundai fluid-that it turns very dark after a short time. They did a fluid exchange.

What about a Mityvac and doing a suck out and fill? It’s not my preferred method but would probably accomplish almost the same result less the filter change.

I’m considering this for the bosses Chrysler T&C. It doesn’t have a dipstick so this way I know how much fluid comes out and how much I need to put back in.

Just my $0.02

Sturg,

Ask the service department if that BG routine uses a cleaner first. If so, I’d skip it.

I only go with a T-Tec tranny fluid EXCHANGE machine that uses no cleaners and simply uses the new fluid to push out the old fluid.
Almost all flush machines just add new ATF at the same rate old fluid is pushed out. You can ask them to skip the BG product and just flush.

I wouldn't want a "BG flush" on anything this new. I'd do a drain and refill or nothing. A flush and BG additives will likely do more harm than good.
The BG machine is a fluid exchange machine. The "additive" will probably just be the BG Synthetic ATF or maybe OEM fluid and BG ATC Plus.

No downsides to any of it, IMO.

Almost all flush machines just add new ATF at the same rate old fluid is pushed out. You can ask them to skip the BG product and just flush.
I thought it was common with BG equipment in that they new a generic, multi-vehicle fluid, and then add a magical additive that makes the fluid Hyundai/Kia compatible or Mercon/Ford compatible or whatever is needed ?

Sturg, welcome to the looney bin. I have experience with the BG process on my 2014 Jeep Patriot with Hyundai Powertec 6 speed tranny. My good friend is a MOPAR dealer mechanic and does it at reduced price. I had planned to DIY, but circumstances prevented me and now I just let him do it.

- $300 is about the average charge for complete exchange in my location. Less if you can find someone to partial drain/refill.
- Your owners manual probably states it is "lifetime fluid" or replace every 60,000 miles under "extreme" conditions.
- After market dipstick is available. Filter is non-serviceable. Not "sealed" - there is a drain plug as well as several other fill/measure plugs.
- The OEM fluid is synthetic SP4-M, about $15 -$20+ per quart. Lots of people seem to be doing ok with aftermarket "suitable for" products.
- In my area, all Jeep/Hyundai/Kia dealers use BG or Valvoline Max Life, even during warranty.
- BG does use a safe T-tec type exchange (not flush) machine.
- BG does install a pint of cleaner before the the exchange process. I opt out of this.
- BG has two universal fluids (thick and thin) that are listed for SP4-M use. https://bglsi.com/BGProducts_Oklahoma_Texas/images/315-application-chart-11-30-18.pdf
- BG offers a lifetime repair warranty if you use their service every 30,0000 miles and start before 50K miles (lesser warranty post 50K).
- Some people here think that BG products are good quality, probably as good or better than other aftermarket products. One has to be VERY careful about buying into their sales/marketing/lifetime warranty schemes.

BITOG opinions about mile intervals change with the wind. I think most, not all, here would agree that it is good to change the fluid every 30 to 60 thousand miles. Maybe never if you intend to keep short term. Aftermarket vs. OEM fluid - there is no consensus. Total fluid exchange vs. partial drain/refills is VERY controversial at BITOG also. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I have a 2019 Sorento with just over 41K miles on it, so I made an appt. to get my transmission fluid changed. The dealer emails back that it's gonna be $300.00. WOW! Seems like a lot of money for this one thing. It did mention something about "BG automatic transmission fluid flush". Is this some special, amazing fluid or procedure?
Am I getting ripped off? The car has only ever been to the dealer for maint, as we like going there, and want to keep going there as much as possible.
Price is about right, don't let the term"Flush" mislead you, it's an old term, today's machine just do an exchange of fluid and this is the absolute best way to do a full exchange as it also does the Torque Converter. Don't let the dealer use any BG ATF additive, Go only with the OEM ATF, good to make the 1st exchange at this mileage subsequent ones may be done around 60K miles.

Last edited:
I thought it was common with BG equipment in that they new a generic, multi-vehicle fluid, and then add a magical additive that makes the fluid Hyundai/Kia compatible or Mercon/Ford compatible or whatever is needed ?
I don't believe that is the case. BG has a few flavors or ATF and CVT fluid that cover most automatic transmissions. They do not add a magic potion to a base ATF to make it proper for a give automatic transmission. BTW Amsoil does the same thing having a few flavors of ATF and CVT fluid that cover most automatic transmissions. I personally consider Amsoil gear oil and ATF one of the best so it's obvious that a few flavors of ATF and CVT can cover most automatic transmissions. BG does sell cleaner and conditioner for automatic transmission, and I would ask they not be used.

And I use Amsoil ATF and gear oils when maintenance is required for my vehicles.

Didn't check anywhere yet. Tried to call the our local Valvoline, but just sat on hold.
Try a site like Openbay.com, I think there's a few others out there that will give you quotes on various automotive services.

Never used BG fluid, but it should be fine. Hyundai OEM fluid is a good fluid, but it's certainly replaceable. I've got Amsoil ATF in my Hyundai 6 speed auto and it shifts great. I did a drain and fill at 13.5k miles, and another at 65k miles. No need for a flush, IMO. A drain and fill periodically should suffice. That said, $300 for a flush sounds about right. A drain and fill should be less (roughly $200 or so is what the going rate is around my neck of the woods).

We don't know your long range plans for the vehicle. Like @atikovi says if you're going to get rid of it in 2-3 years then skip it altogether. I think 60k would be a good interval if you want to keep it for the long term.

Oh it can be - like when the exhaust system blocks the fill plug and there is an OEM procedure to use that plug to set the level at xxxF temperature …
So much this. Not exactly difficult but you're supposed to have a scan tool hooked up and only check fluid at a certain temp range:

So much this. Not exactly difficult but you're supposed to have a scan tool hooked up and only check fluid at a certain temp range:

That’s manageable - have seen them completely blocked …
On temps - some use dash readings or digital meat probes …
I‘ll do my Wrangler 8 speed pretty soon - it has plug access and will go up 4 ramps easily …

What about a Mityvac and doing a suck out and fill? It’s not my preferred method but would probably accomplish almost the same result less the filter change.

I’m considering this for the bosses Chrysler T&C. It doesn’t have a dipstick so this way I know how much fluid comes out and how much I need to put back in.

Just my $0.02

These make it easier. Take off the service cover on dipstick hole, siphon out and refill.

I would recommend a pan drop on these vans to replace filter however.

With 41k all you need is a drain and refill with Maxlife. Korean transmissions are very easy to service. Get an empty oil jug with good clear markings and measure the fluid drained, put the same amount back in. Use a funnel with a hose and pour slowly because the vent hole and fill hole are the same.

Back