Price increase on AC filter fro Ecotec..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been buying AC oil filters for my wife's '03 Ecotec powered Cavalier at my local Chevy dealer for $5. I knew that was cheap and they finally caught on. The part number has changed and the price is now over $10! Amazing how a filter that appears to have less construction than a metal spin-on costs more! I will now use Fram
pat.gif
since these filters seem to be of identical plastic contruction as the OEM and don't have the dreaded cardboard caps. They are about $7 at wallyworld.

Check with your Hastings dealer. I bought the same Purflux L264 as in the AC box in a LF 548 box for $5 at a jobber. Other numbers you may find interesting,

ACDelco PF2244G
Hastings LF548
Purflux L264A
Purolator L 15436
Baldwin P1445
STP S9018R
Fram PH9018
WIX 51365, 57082
MANN HU 69/2

For a while Fram was selling the same Purflux filter, but now has their own. I have one word for these canister filters, ripoff.

Actually, it's a really good effort by GM to reduce the pollution and waste generated by automobile maintenance. How many folks really drain out all the oil from a typical filter can? That stuff gets into the landfills and creates contamination. Less gets there with these canless designs. Cost will come down as sales volume goes up.

Why can't GM get credit for effective environmental of safety efforts? (i.e. DRL's)

Manualman, what is good for GM is good for the country, and we all know where the media stands on America. Media's ranking of automobiles, German, Jap, Chrysler, Ford, GM.

Just because I find the price of the filter elements outragous, doesn't mean I don't think they are a good idea. Some other companiess are using the canister filters too, but many of them are so hard to change they have given canisters a bad name. Does anyone credit GM for an easy to change design?

[ November 27, 2003, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: labman ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back