Looking for input on today's top tier spin on filters

I'd put the STP XL Extended Life in there too, it's rated 99% @ 20u. $10 at AutoZone.
It's the same as the Microguard Select, right? I believe so. I do wonder if either has a time interval per Premium Guard. I'd really like to use an MGS for an annual, low mileage OCI.

Last edited:
I'd put the STP XL Extended Life in there too, it's rated 99% @ 20u. $10 at AutoZone.
You're right that's an oversight on my part I should have said Premium Guard + Microguard Selects and STP XL's

I thought those were 99% at 25 as per O'Reilly on the MGS's

Here's another STP XL cut open review - more recent. The video you linked is older and lookes like the center tube has changed. It has a nylon eCore center tube with metal end caps, but looks well built and something I wouldn't have any worries about using.

Here's another STP XL cut open review - more recent. The video you linked is older and lookes like the center tube has changed. It has a nylon eCore center tube with metal end caps, but looks well built and something I wouldn't have any worries about using.

Ick, e-core, gross. Pls no

To be honest with the current state of louvred center tubes I would consider an E-Core a plus.

If I could find a wire backed Ultra or Titanium I’d use it without question.

Next up amsoil or royal purple.

Failing that, just go with Delco never had an issue with them.

Efficiency remained the same (they appear to have used the TG media as the backer) but dropped the wire backing. We've been seeing deformed pleats with them, which isn't unexpected.
Could this possibly be an upgrade? Considering the wire backing itself doesnt filter anything? Or is the deformed pleats that much of a deal breaker?

Only the little filter (not EaO, Ea15k) that is also spec'd for GM applications and has the wrong bypass pressure for the HEMI. The larger EaO11, which is the SRT and old RAM filter, was not affected by the TSB.
Is the bypass pressure to low on the little amsoil filter?

Could this possibly be an upgrade? Considering the wire backing itself doesnt filter anything? Or is the deformed pleats that much of a deal breaker?
Cellulose or a blend is never an upgrade over the same efficiency synthetic media, lol. It has less holding capacity and doesn't flow as well. The deformed pleats can, potentially, lead to tearing. Not an issue with the wire-backed media. Cellulose and blend media deforms, often, due to moisture, because it can absorb it. Of course a synthetic media also won't absorb moisture.

But a blend media costs less to produce, and eliminating the wire backing also shaves cost. Given how excessive the OG filter was, cost cutting it a bit, it's still a great filter.

Is the bypass pressure to low on the little amsoil filter?
Too high (for the HEMI). It's set to the GM-spec pressure, not the FCA one. They tried to reduce cost so they used the same filter for both of these applications, while if you look up the filters on the FRAM site, they are different part #'s with different pressures.

Cellulose or a blend is never an upgrade over the same efficiency synthetic media, lol. It has less holding capacity and doesn't flow as well. The deformed pleats can, potentially, lead to tearing. Not an issue with the wire-backed media. Cellulose and blend media deforms, often, due to moisture, because it can absorb it. Of course a synthetic media also won't absorb moisture.

But a blend media costs less to produce, and eliminating the wire backing also shaves cost. Given how excessive the OG filter was, cost cutting it a bit, it's still a great filter.
Makes sense, i was thinking maybe the cellulose backing did some filtering where as the wire back just supported the media but what you said makes perfect sense! I forgot about the ability of cellulose to absorb water and and not flow as well. Ive got 5 OG XG2 ultras so i wont be needing anything else for a while

^^^ There's more to filter delta-p vs flow beside the media material. The total media area is a big part of that. The Fram Ultra in the same model filters has an increase of filter media area to keep the delta-p vs flow performance good. Many synthetic blend filters have good flow (meaning relatively low delta-p vs flow) due to having more total media area.

It's the same as the Microguard Select, right? I believe so. I do wonder if either has a time interval per Premium Guard. I'd really like to use an MGS for an annual, low mileage OCI.
The STP XL isn't the same as the Microgard Select. The STP XL looks more like the ChampXL, and looks to be Champion Labs built. The Microgard Select is 00% @ 2ou and the Microgard Select is 99% @ 25u from the info I've seen. The STP XL is USA made, the Microgard Select is made in Vietnam. There have been Whip City Wrencher videos posted in many threads of them being cut open.

You're right that's an oversight on my part I should have said Premium Guard + Microguard Selects and STP XL's

I thought those were 99% at 25 as per O'Reilly on the MGS's
The STP XL is at AutoZone. Microgard Select is at O'Rielly, and is the one that's 99% @ 25u which is still pretty up there in efficiency.

Back