Pretty happy with my new set of Falken ZIEX ZE-912

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have them on both my wife's Corolla and now my Impreza. I had a set of these mounted two months ago when I couldn't stand the droning road nose from my well-worn and out of balance ContiExtremeContacts anymore. It was a choice between these and the superior (and expensive) Bridgestone Potenza RE-960AS, but for the price difference I took a chance and got the Falkens and kept my expectations low.

Well, I have to say that these things are a highly decent tire so far! They are nice and quiet, stiffer than I thought they would be (at least on my car in a 205/55), and wet weather performance has been impressive. The rubber compound sticks to dry and wet roads really well with no noticable tire squirm or other bad manners. The only unknown right now is below-freezing temperatures with sleet/slush/light snow, and from what I've read, I'm sure they will not be nearly as good as my ExtremeContacts were, but few tires are.

The only other thing that concerns me is that they seem to be a quick-wearing tire regardless of what the wear rating is. I have a friend at work who went through a pair of them on the back of her Acura. They were toast after only a little more than two years of normal driving (according to her, whatever that may mean). Build date on the tires was something like 5/08 and she had them replaced in 10/10 because they were worn so badly (yet evenly). The set on my wife's car have been on for less than a year and the fronts seem to be rounding off noticably, so I guess we'll see.

Anyway, my two cents if it helps anyone else's tire buying decision.
smile.gif

Got those on my wife's xB, got them last year at a Black Friday sale, been great so far-but I have dedicated winter tires for it, so she only has around 4500 on them. Not much wear so far!

They wear too quick, but the compound is what some people are after. That is probably why they handle well. They are useless in snow. (not surprising)

I had a set of Falken Sincera SN828's on my Subie, what an awefull tire! These things wore down to nothing in 30,000 miles, were ok at best in the rain, useless in the snow, and just ok on dry pavement. Fortunately, the awd in my Subie made up for the [censored] tire.

Back in October I had a set of Yokohama Avid ENVigor's mounted, this tire is so far superior to the Falcrap's thats its not funny.

I have these tires on my summer wheels for my xB, and I really like their performance. However, they do seem to wear quickly. I have another summer left on them, but mileage may only be 25,000 to 30,000 at replacement. Right now, I have about 22K on them and not too far from wear bars. They have great hydroplane resistance and great grip, but slowly loosing it that thread is getting down. They also getting a little louder (natural as tread wears).

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Got those on my wife's xB, got them last year at a Black Friday sale, been great so far-but I have dedicated winter tires for it, so she only has around 4500 on them. Not much wear so far!

...I had them....mixed feelings about them. They are dirt cheap though.

But do agree... I would not trust them in the winter time. Even though they are M+S, by definition of void to tread ratio.... there is no where near enough siping on them. That's why I have dedicated winters

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Are you having the tires rotated every 5 or 6 thousand miles?

Of course. I do it once a year, and she hasn't even hit the 6k mark on them yet. That's this weekend's project.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
You're lucky. I think my weekend project will be "shoveling out"...
08.gif

We're hoping for a much lighter year for snow than last year when the Mid-Atlantic region of the US got hammered a few times.

Maybe that's another reason I went for going the cheap, short-lived tire route rather than spending big bucks for the Bridgestones. We'll see if that was good or bad call soon enough...

You'll like them until you get snow, and until you reach 25-30K miles on them. I had them on our 07 Fusion. They were a great 3-season tire. They were horrible in the smallest amount of snow or ice. Even 1", and the car was worthless. Of course that car didn't have ABS or traction control.

Other than the "winter thing", they were great handling, ride, and noise.

I also agree that they are terrible in snow. I am on my 2nd winter with these. I cannot wait to get new tires. At least you are happy with them so far. I would not buy these tires. They came on the car when I bought it used a year ago.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SLCraig
They wear too quick, but the compound is what some people are after. That is probably why they handle well. They are useless in snow. (not surprising)

+1

Im suprised because my 512s are wearing like iron. I have 45k on them and they seriously look like new. I had to replace one because of a rim bubble maybe 10k ago and I cant tell each one from another.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Im suprised because my 512s are wearing like iron. I have 45k on them and they seriously look like new. I had to replace one because of a rim bubble maybe 10k ago and I cant tell each one from another.

that is why the 512 is quite slippery on wet, the 912 is designed to improve the wet traction, even though the aquaplan capability still lose to competitor like hankook v12

Ive never had any issues with wet braking with the 512s.

My car is small and light (BMW 318i) which makes hydroplaning an issue, but no worse/better with these than previous tires.

So I got to use them in the 1.5" (don't laugh, this is NoVA) of snow we got yesterday and I can say that these tires met my low expectations. The Falkens worked absolutely fine on the cold wet roads but as soon as I drove through/over some slush or packed snow, traction was poor. Oh, well.

I can't ding the Falkens for not being good in snow since very few all season tires ever are, just confirming that yes, they are not a four season tire regardless of their M&S rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back