pressure washer care

I have a Ryobi electric pressure washer. What is proper care for storing, I have been adding the pressure washer pump protector when not in use for extended time. Is this necessary, is there something I could do with something I may have around house instead of purchasing this product

With a short piece of garden hose and a funnel, you could add rv anti-freeze until it comes out the other port of the pump.

Its in the instructions for my pressure washer, yours may vary.

IMG_20200604_211929962.jpg

^Dad has the 13 hp hot water unit from Northern Tool. The instructions say the same thing minus step 2 since the heater needs winterized. Pour it in with the engine running until solid pink comes out. No pump saver IIRC.

Last edited:
I have the regular gas pressure washer and they make an aerosol can of pump lube. All you do is unhook the water hose inlet and outlet and give it a short blast until it comes out the other side. I have also used the funnel trick as listed by a previous poster and it costs less money but is more difficult to do.

PUT A FUEL SHUT OFF ON IT, if not equipped. Make a habit of shutting the fuel off to shut it down, ALWAYS. Your carburetor will thank you down the road.
Aside from that get a QD for the pressure wand hose. So much easier dealing with the 25' anaconda. It also lets you drain the hose so you can store it in a cold shed and use it in winter.

Originally Posted by Driz
PUT A FUEL SHUT OFF ON IT, if not equipped. Make a habit of shutting the fuel off to shut it down, ALWAYS. Your carburetor will thank you down the road.
Aside from that get a QD for the pressure wand hose. So much easier dealing with the 25' anaconda. It also lets you drain the hose so you can store it in a cold shed and use it in winter.

I have a Ryobi electric pressure washer.

Originally Posted by hatt
I've never done anything to store my pressure washer. Over 20 years old. It's not cold here though.

Please, there's no need to rub it in!

Do you store it outside in the shed or in the garage?
If in the garage once you done, tilt it on the side and have water pour out. Done...... Till next summer.
If not in heated area, same steps but leave it on the side longer so more water drains out. Done.

Last edited:
Store my Karcher HD-651 in a warm crawlspace, change that pump oil every other year or sooner depending on use.

I run RV antifreeze until it comes out the wand and then I shoot some pump protector in. Mine is the Northstar 13hp gas hot pressure washer. This is important because you also have to make sure the heating coil has antifreeze in it too.

Back