Ryobi electric pressure washers, new or refurbished.

Because they want to get rid of them, I suspect... and the built in replacement (“warranty“) of the refurb unit has a mathematically lower likelihood of being used since the timeframe is short.

Refurbs are usually items with high return rate that get repackaged in plain-ish boxes or items with high failure rate that were reconditioned and back to stores to sell. That's my experience thou. I don't consider buying refurbs a good idea. It doesn't mean they may not be any good.

Just get the new one with the extended warranty. Low end products like these are guaranteed to break within the 2 - 4 year warranty period so you basically get your money back sans what you paid for the coverage. Its like a long term rental.

I had the pump head crack on a Greenworks electric pressure washer from Lowes. Called warranty service and they sent me a gift card for the price I paid for the washer. They didn't even want the broken on back! I usually say don't get a warranty but on most low end equipment go for it.

For that big of a price gap, I'd get the refurb. If it fails after the warranty is up, get another.

Honestly I wouldn't buy either.

I would buy a Kärcher Cube or Active VE52.

The Kärcher is cheaper than the refurb Ryobi and the Active is cheaper than the new. Both will outperform.

Reactions: GON
When buying a lower end pressure washer, one thing to look at is does the washer user industry standard hoses.

Made the mistake of buying a Troy-built pressure washer a few years ago. Nice Honda engine, but the hoses were proprietary. The hose touched the exhaust manifold and sprung a leak. No replacement hose available except special order from Troy Built for big money. HD, Lowes, etc all had replacement standard pressure hoses in stock. I was stopped in the middle of a project and no options to get running quickly or cost effectively.

Worth an extra $100 to buy a unit with standard hoses IMHO.

For the same price of the new Ryobi, you can get a brand new gas powered washer with almost 1,000 PSI more, and twice the flow rate. That would make me forget about the refurb.

No gas. Too much maintenance and hassle. Would be storing it in the basement and they weigh too much to drag up and down stairs and give off gas fumes. From the online comparison testing, this is supposed to be one of the better consumer grade electric machines.

Also, what is the hype with Black Friday sales. The only reason I'm thinking about this now is reading about how stores put their stuff on sale for like half off. I don't see ANY pressure washers on sale.

Reactions: GON
Honestly I wouldn't buy either.

I would buy a Kärcher Cube or Active VE52.

The Kärcher is cheaper than the refurb Ryobi and the Active is cheaper than the new. Both will outperform.
Researched up the Karcher and ordered that. $129 shipped on Amazon. Passed on the Ryobi after seeing videos where it doesn't shut off after you release the trigger. That would be quite annoying. And the Cube looks easier to store and carry around plus the 3 year warranty.

Researched up the Karcher and ordered that. $129 shipped on Amazon. Passed on the Ryobi after seeing videos where it doesn't shut off after you release the trigger. That would be quite annoying. And the Cube looks easier to store and carry around plus the 3 year warranty.
IMO it's a great little machine and you have to spend at least twice as much to get one better.

When buying a lower end pressure washer, one thing to look at is does the washer user industry standard hoses.

Made the mistake of buying a Troy-built pressure washer a few years ago. Nice Honda engine, but the hoses were proprietary. The hose touched the exhaust manifold and sprung a leak. No replacement hose available except special order from Troy Built for big money. HD, Lowes, etc all had replacement standard pressure hoses in stock. I was stopped in the middle of a project and no options to get running quickly or cost effectively.

Worth an extra $100 to buy a unit with standard hoses IMHO.
Local hose place could not repair it?

Local hose place could not repair it?
I lived in Pillow, PA, town of 200 people. Amish country. The only hardware store in the area was Amish owned and run, they closed at 1130am on Saturday mornings and opened back up Morning. Simply not options available locally in many cases.

I was power washing a cement patio in the afternoon on my rare Saturday off. Melted the hose, and wanted to finish the job. Spent about four hours driving around that Saturday afternoon from Home Depot, Lowes, Northen Supply, etc.... to no avail. Everyone had replacement power was hoses on their shelf, but all were "standard" connections. The Troy built was a proprietary hose/ connection. Big lesson learned.

I have since purchased two power washers since the Troy built, and I make sure the hose/ connector is a industry standard power wash hose, and not a proprietary one.

IMO it's a great little machine and you have to spend at least twice as much to get one better.
Will this clean up the gunk that builds up between body panels, moldings, nameplates and trim on cars sitting outside for months where using a toothbrush is tedious and even that doesn't get to some nooks and crannies? That's #1 reason for getting one. #2 would be door jambs. #3 for getting some spots I missed at the self service car wash cleaning the engine. You're always racing the clock before the timer shuts off and I sometimes miss a few spots I only notice when I get back home.

Will this clean up the gunk that builds up between body panels, moldings, nameplates and trim on cars sitting outside for months where using a toothbrush is tedious and even that doesn't get to some nooks and crannies? That's #1 reason for getting one. #2 would be door jambs. #3 for getting some spots I missed at the self service car wash cleaning the engine. You're always racing the clock before the timer shuts off and I sometimes miss a few spots I only notice when I get back home.
Yellow 15° tip should take care of it.

Some cars with really bad algae/scale I will use a stiff round paint brush with undiluted APC. It's safer than trying to blast it away IMO.

I lived in Pillow, PA, town of 200 people. Amish country. The only hardware store in the area was Amish owned and run, they closed at 1130am on Saturday mornings and opened back up Morning. Simply not options available locally in many cases.

I was power washing a cement patio in the afternoon on my rare Saturday off. Melted the hose, and wanted to finish the job. Spent about four hours driving around that Saturday afternoon from Home Depot, Lowes, Northen Supply, etc.... to no avail. Everyone had replacement power was hoses on their shelf, but all were "standard" connections. The Troy built was a proprietary hose/ connection. Big lesson learned.

I have since purchased two power washers since the Troy built, and I make sure the hose/ connector is a industry standard power wash hose, and not a proprietary one.
Bummer. Even my podunk area has a hose guy. Closed on weekends though. They can add a splice or put 2 ends on the existing hose etc.

Back