Recommendations for electric pressure washers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't own a pressure washer at the moment, and have borrowed many gas-powered ones. I'd like to buy one of my own. I like a gas engine as much as anyone else, and fix mowers on the side, but think I prefer electric for a pressure washer due to the long periods of inactivity and desire for a low noise level. Gas-powered ones I've used are pretty rude and crude, and I understand a pressure washer will actually wear a gas engine out faster than one would think. And I know the pumps on most of them are dodgy as well.

So I figure I'd rather spend $150-200 on an electric one than $300-400 on a gas-powered one. Any recommendations?

A coworker bought this Ryobi at Home Depot this weekend and said it works like a champ. It also gets excellent reviews on the website. There's also an identical one labeled Black Max at Sam's Club.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-1700-PS...1vZbxdjZ1z0zy83

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/blackmax-1700-psi-electric-pw/prod8710551.ip?cid=SPOT_4UP_2

I know well that these aren't commercial-grade units, but neither are gas-powered ones for which I'd pay twice the price. For occasional use, these should be fine, right?

Get one with an induction motor. I have a karcher K2.93 and I can say it is really good.

Also don't guide yourself by the maximum pressure since there is no unification of standards and every manufacturer can print whatever pressure they like in the box.

Try to buy by build quality: induction vs universal motor, plastic vs metal body of the pump, air vs water cooling of the electric motor and the volumetric flow of the pump.

Thanks; I agree on all points. It's hard to find the specifications that matter to me. I don't care about PSI...it's influenced in the end by the nozzle on the wand anyway. They sell gas-powered ones based on the brand of the engine. I want to know about the pump. Of course, it's probably a no-name pump that'll fail after 25 hours.

Most of these electric pumps advertise an aluminum pump. Type of cooling for the motor, who knows. Does your Karcher K2.93 also water cool the electric motor? That sounds appealing to me.

No, mine is air cooled, the water cooled ones are the K3.XX models. But I have used it continually for more than one our without incident.

Thanks. Karcher's website unfortunately does not give much information. They do say that the motors are induction motors, but I couldn't find the type of motor cooling.

I bought a almost new Stanley on CL. Has a reel on top, seems like a decent electric one. I think electric ones are easier to use and setup. I have many pressure washers however including a true hot water one with a diesel burner.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one of those pressure washers you linked to. I also have and recommend an electric one. Mine starts every time. I hate that about gas powered anything.

Originally Posted By: Rand
What about something like this...

That was the second one in my original post. Yes, it's identical to the Ryobi in every day (except labels). I don't know who makes it; neither of these companies (Ryobi or Black Max) manufacturer their own stuff. The pump is an aluminum axial pump and is likely as good as any consumer-grade electric pump out there. I do like that they have a wider frame unlike most electric pressure washers and everything looks easy to get to to service (if I have to replace a seal for example).

I think I (and you guys) have talked myself into buying one of those. The Black Max is $130 with a 2 year warranty, but Sam's Club is usually good at taking stuff back. The Ryobi is $160 with a 3 year warranty, and I don't know how good Home Depot is about taking something back after the first 30 or 60 days.

I'm probably going to look closely at the Black Max.

Don't forget to add in the cost of a 10-12 gauge extension cord, depending on how far you need to reach. Too small of a cord, and you'll have a voltage drop and burn up the motor. OHMS law.

If I was going to buy an electric under 200$ the sams club one is superior imo all the other electrics I've used at work (indoors)
they tip over or have fancy cord reels etc that fall apart.

-and no I didnt notice it was in the org. post.......... I plead lack of coffee while posting yesterday
13.gif
13.gif
13.gif

Last edited:
To follow up here, I bought the Ryobi. I actually bought both, the Ryobi and the Black Max. I had both on the kitchen table, trying to decide which box to open.
smile.gif

I read both opinions on the internet yesterday. One, that electric pressure washers are only good for spraying siding and washing a car; for real work, you need gas. And second, that electric pressure washers will do great at nearly anything a homeowner would need to do. So I wasn't sure about it. The Ryobi claimed a 30-day satisfaction guarantee and a 3 year warranty. The Black Max has a 2 year warranty. I rolled the dice and opened the Ryobi, figuring if I didn't like it, I could lean on that 30-day no questions asked satisfaction guarantee. I'm sure Sam's Club would have taken care of me also.

Both products appear to be identical. Both boxes say that the product is made by Tectronics Industries in South Carolina. Country of origin is China.

I did our back patio last night, and must say that I'm pretty impressed with it. I used the included "turbo nozzle" (a $20 value!) and it cleaned that concrete like a champ. I will do the driveway this weekend. It's quiet enough, seems to have plenty of power, and worked without a hiccup. It does have a nice 35-foot power cord and a 25-foot pressure hose, so it has good reach.

I've seen folks on the Meguiars boards talking about diluting the NXT car wash soap with water at 1:128 and washing the car with it. I'd like to try some touchless car washes this weekend; that has great appeal, both for keeping the cars clean in the summer heat and when the water hose would otherwise be frozen in the winter, and when I'd not want to be outside for an hour. I will pick up a 40 degree nozzle for rinsing the cars. It came with three nozzles: the "turbo" nozzle, a 15 degree nozzle, and a low pressure soap dispensing nozzle.

Good purchase for $159. If I do it again, I'd probably get the Black Max from Sam's for $129 and save the 30 bucks, now that I know that it'll do everything I need it to do.

dont forget the bottle of pump saver..

make sure you get the pressurized bottle..
011675060398lg.jpg

the squeeze type ... suck..

Originally Posted By: Rand
dont forget the bottle of pump saver..

make sure you get the pressurized bottle..
011675060398lg.jpg

the squeeze type ... suck..

I use this stuff for my big(heavy) hot water pressure washer. The smaller ones go in the heated basement.

Last edited:
I didn't know about pump saver, but would it be the same if I fill a bottle of antifreeze and spray into the pressure washer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back