Pressure cookers making a comeback

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom used to can vegetables in the pressure cooker. She gave up a few years ago, it was just too much work. Now she just freezes extra garden veggies.

Pressure cookers are good for tough cuts of meat, tenderizes them right up and cooks quickly to boot.

For those talking about fried chicken, one of the things they use to cook it is called a broaster. Basically it's a combined deep fryer/pressure cooker. Makes for some good chicken, a lot of the rural bars over in WI have em'. You can create a whole bar menu with a broaster - chicken, fish, french fries, cheese sticks, etc. Mmm, grease and beer.

I own one of these in the 7 liter version and it's pretty good (but expensive).
http://www.simply-natural.biz/Lagostina-Brava-Pressure-Cooker.php

The only thing I don't like about the design is the built in pressure release valve that can be broken off if the lid is open while the valve is up (they sometimes stay stuck in the up position after the pressure has bled off). Once it's broken you have to buy a new cooker.

My mother used one all my growing up, and showed my wife how to use. It's still a very regularly used household item. Mostly dry beans (pinto, and great northern), and steamed potatoes for mashing. As mentioned, for potatoes, pressure barely has to get built till it's time to turn 'er of and begin mashing. Beans do take a little longer.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back