Prescription glasses online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mva

Please recommend a good website to buy prescription eyewear.

I live in a small town in Canada and I went to the local eyewear shop and they are asking over $1,000 for good quality titanium frames and high index progressive Nikon lenses. I think it is time for me to try ordering a pair online.

I want good quality but I think $1,000 is getting a bit ridiculous.

Has anyone used goggles4u?

frames direct.com

I use over sized frames with large lens (something you can only do if the prescription is not too strong because strong prescriptions have too thick of a glass on the edges, and thus too much weight) and I purchase several identical frames so that when one part wears out I can swap good parts to make up a good peer of glasses. It was several years ago, but I purchased three pairs with lenses, and one pair without lenses, and anti-glare coating on the lenses so I do not see the reflection of my eyes in the lens.

When I first contacted them I told them I was not in a hurry, and they called me back about a week later when they found the over size frames.

If I remember right it was something like $650 for the four frames with three sets of lenses with anti-glare on the lenses. But this was several years ago. Also since then I have had a local company who makes lenses for companies that sell glasses make new lenses made for the same frames when I had scratched too many of the lenses.

Along with the prescription you have to give them the PD (pupal distance) the measurement from the center of your eyes to each other.

Girlfriend has bought two pairs of eyeglasses from Coastal and has been very pleased with them. She received one pair that USPS had battered into submission and Coastal replaced them no questions asked.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post2414913

I recently bought a pair of glasses from Zenni, and to quote myself from the above thread:

"I received my glasses today from Zenni. No kidding; best pair of glasses I've ever had! $33 bucks including shipping. Frame quality is good, prescription is perfect, optical quality is amazing. I went with 1.57 index plastic lenses instead of polycarb. I think that has a lot to do with the optical quality; I've always had poly."

I used googles4u a year ago. Pretty decent, especially since I was trying to get the lowest cost frames and lenses possible. I had them measured by my optometrist; they were pretty good, but the focal centers were both to the left of where they should be cut for my prescription. She speculated (ha!) they could get away with using smaller blanks that way. If they used the blanks they should then they'd have to cut more material off to get them into the frames, so they'd have to start with larger blanks.

What is wrong with polycarb? I've thought about zinni. My current oakley glasses are the most expensive I've ever owned and they don't stay on my head and the transition lenses are getting darker.

Originally Posted By: joaks
What is wrong with polycarb?

Nothing really. They're great if your primary concern is impact resistance. However, the optical quality sucks.

got mine from eyebuydirect. one problem with buying online is you cant try them on first. I went with the buy one get one promo.. one just sits because it does not look as cool as I thought it would haha

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post2414913

I recently bought a pair of glasses from Zenni, and to quote myself from the above thread:

"I received my glasses today from Zenni. No kidding; best pair of glasses I've ever had! $33 bucks including shipping. Frame quality is good, prescription is perfect, optical quality is amazing. I went with 1.57 index plastic lenses instead of polycarb. I think that has a lot to do with the optical quality; I've always had poly."
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I hear many good reviews on Zenni.

Have used Zinni twice over the last few years. IMO...they do a decent job...have a great selection of frames....and fame and lenses can be purchased from $25 to $100.

It takes seven to ten days from the date your order to receive them.

my wife is due for some new glasses this year. she had me pay $500 bucks for glasses 3-4 years ago and I was so mad. the days of expensive eyeglasses are over. eye doctor office love to upsell expensive glasses

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
my wife is due for some new glasses this year. she had me pay $500 bucks for glasses 3-4 years ago and I was so mad. the days of expensive eyeglasses are over. eye doctor office love to upsell expensive glasses

Thats for sure....and the reason I purchased at Zinni.

Thanks for all the responses. I will report back in a few weeks once I get my glasses.

Zenni is OK. Very good customer service, one of my glasses lost a screw and they fedexed one out right away free of charge, along with a screwdriver.

Their glasses only seem to last me about 6 months, but heck for sub $50 glasses I'll replace them every six months.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Zenni is OK. Very good customer service, one of my glasses lost a screw and they fedexed one out right away free of charge, along with a screwdriver.

Their glasses only seem to last me about 6 months, but heck for sub $50 glasses I'll replace them every six months.

What breaks after 6 months?

Originally Posted By: joaks
Originally Posted By: JustinH

What breaks after 6 months?

WOW! I've been wearing glasses for 64 years now, ever since I was 5 years old.

O now get my glasses from Choice eyewear.

http://www.choiceeyewear.com/

I get great service, glasses last me normally 4 to 5 years or till my perscription changes. My wife also use them with complete satisification. My last pr. of tri-focals cost $39.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back