Premium Guard PG4612 Glue Flakes

This is one filter from the Walmart $9 for 12 deal. I assume you guys wouldn't recommend running this?

20240603_063518.jpg

20240603_063531.jpg

The glue line going around center tube base is how all PG filters are done. That's not an issue at all.

However, if you see loose pieces/flakes, I would not run it.

These filters are used as jobber filters at a lot of oil change places in Mazdas, Hondas, Subaru's, etc. So, probably not an issue IMHO. Tons of them on cars all over the country as we speak. We tend to focus on this stuff on BITOG, but the other 99.9999999% of the population doesn't. When we start hearing about engine failures from these filters, then we have something. Question is your own comfort zone. I, presonally, have no issue with running these filters, but I won't run one if I see streaks or flakes of loose glue. The filter you posted above, guarantee you a grease monkey at Jiffy boob and lube is spinning that sucker onto your car. Without a second glance. Probably try and spin it on with the cellophane still attached and then realize it and say oops.

Can you get a refund on the visibly bad ones? Walmart market place is a dumping ground like EBAY, with third party seller suspects. Does WM stand behind the hooligans in its market or is it just a wild west shoot 'em up?

No go for me. Could you please post pics of the whole filter with date code? I’d like to see exactly what we’re dealing with here.

Thus, the reason for the giveaway sale.
PG has a sterling reputation and the idea to blow these out for nothing
was unwise. They should have just recycled them. I learned these lessons decades ago.
Imagine how many forums, that have the same posts as this. Dumb move.
I’d bet they were in the recycle bin. Who knows what the story is. Employee trying to make some extra cash?

Can you get a refund on the visibly bad ones? Walmart market place is a dumping ground like EBAY, with third party seller suspects. Does WM stand behind the hooligans in its market or is it just a wild west shoot 'em up?
I ordered something from Walmart.com that was sold by another company but distributed by Walmart. Never got it and neither Walmart nor the manufacturer would make it right.
I don’t suggest buying from Walmart if it’s not sold by Walmart

I got a reply from Premium Guard support!

"I would like to get this filter sent to our lab. I have logged this as claim number XXXX. Please let me know the address of where this filter is located and I will send over a UPS return label."

Should I send the filter to them?

Thus, the reason for the giveaway sale.
PG has a sterling reputation and the idea to blow these out for nothing
was unwise. They should have just recycled them. I learned these lessons decades ago.
Imagine how many forums, that have the same posts as this. Dumb move.
Maybe, but I've seen shoddy looking ones from outside of this sale, and it's not evident that the sale filters had more issues than usual.

I’d bet they were in the recycle bin. Who knows what the story is. Employee trying to make some extra cash?
Such an employee probably wouldn't sell it on Walmart under the PGI Pro Seller account where they have a bunch of other normal listings...

This is one filter from the Walmart $9 for 12 deal. I assume you guys wouldn't recommend running this?

View attachment 222931

View attachment 222932
Was it just one like that? Did it arrive looking like that, or did you poke at some of the glue?

I got a reply from Premium Guard support!

"I would like to get this filter sent to our lab. I have logged this as claim number XXXX. Please let me know the address of where this filter is located and I will send over a UPS return label."

Should I send the filter to them?
Nice, I'd like to get a hold of them too. Did you contact them through Walmart or directly through e-mail? If through e-mail, which one?

Last edited:
Was it just one like that? Did it arrive looking like that, or did you poke at some of the glue?

Nice, I'd like to get a hold of them too. Did you contact them through Walmart or directly through e-mail? If through e-mail, which one?
All pictures are of the same filter and I didn't touch the glue, the plastic is still over the filter. I sent an email directly to their support address.

I painstakingly went through all 24 of the filters I bought, plus the 3 I bought when HomeDepot was selling them at $2.35 each. I bought 4, but cut one open on page 2 of the thread in the deals and rebates on these.

Solid glue line on all of them. No streaks and no flakes or cracks. I even used a magnifying glass and light.

Interesting note, one case was made in China, the other Vietnam. I see no reason not to run any of the ones I received.

Back