Premium Guard KIA/OEM spin filters no longer have silicone adbv

What could cause these Hyundai/Kia engines to hit excess of 280 psi? My family has two of those vehicles.....yikes. Something else with these engines, as if we don't have enough issues with them already.
Whatever controls the maximum pressure out of the oil pump could be going intermittently rouge for some reason. Do the dealership shops know of anything going on like that with these engines?

It puzzles me that PG claims normal operating pressure is 35-40 psi while Kia/Hyundai (Mann W 811/80) filter has bypass valve set to 14psi (1 bar):
Is that KIA/Hyundai operating pressure at max RPM, or some lower RPM? The filter bypass setting of 14 PSI just means it opens when the dP across the media is 14 PSI. The bypass valve is also to ensure the dP across the media doesn't cause damage to the media.

Is that KIA/Hyundai operating pressure at max RPM, or some lower RPM? The filter bypass setting of 14 PSI just means it opens when the dP across the media is 14 PSI. The bypass valve is also to ensure the dP across the media doesn't cause damage to the media.
I was referring to the bulletin on page one of this discussion, PG claims normal oil pressure is in 30-45psi range, then bypass valve would be and stay open at normal oil pressure, no?

I was referring to the bulletin on page one of this discussion, PG claims normal oil pressure is in 30-45psi range, then bypass valve would be and stay open at normal oil pressure, no?
No, because I'd bet the oil pressure sensor is located after the filter like every modern engine is. The dP across the filter would only depend on the oil flow volume and oil viscosity, and the pressure between the pump and filter would be higher than the oil pressure sensor reading after the filter by whatever the dP is across the filter. If the oil pressure sensor reads 45 PSI, and the dP across the filter is 5 PSI, then the pressure going into the filter is 50 PSI.

If the oil pressure spikes as PG thinks (well over 200 PSI), then that means there's also a flow increase from the pump (especially if the pump regulation control system is failing as the cause) and overwhelm the filter bypass, and could cause damage to the filter and engine.

Last edited:
Well, they are advising not to use their filters thus their filters are at fault either due to design or manufacturing mistakes.
Why would they mention 280psi pressure and what are they implying, filter flaw or blaming something else?

Well, they are advising not to use their filters thus their filters are at fault either due to design or manufacturing mistakes.
Why would they mention 280psi pressure and what are they implying, filter flaw or blaming something else?
The only way the system could produce that much oil pressure is from the oil pump pressure regulator malfunctioning. If PG is right about the 280 PSI pressure spikes, don't really know if it's true unless it can be verified by a dealership shop. I think PG is recommending to use the OEM and not their filter to avoid any blown engine claims if the filter fails and/or leaks from over pressure.

What does the oil pressure run - everything I own does 30-80 psi - those mentioned seem a bit low …

I believe there was speculation about the OEM filters. I just got these in the mail today from a Kia dealer. Looks like they are a few months old.

20240607_135641.jpg

20240607_160642.jpg

Back