Preferred gear oil for super 8.8 rear end.

I’m going to change my gear oil in my 2020 f150 I just purchased I am considering going amsoil but is it worth it, or is an off the shelf gear oil equal? Which would you go with? Thanks everyone!

I’m going to change my gear oil in my 2020 f150 I just purchased I am considering going amsoil but is it worth it, or is an off the shelf gear oil equal? Which would you go with? Thanks everyone!
I was never convinced that Amsoil is any better to justify its high cost. I would use an off the shelf gear which meets the needs stated in your manual for your differential type.. I have mostly used Supertech or whatever was cheapest in the past for my Ford's 8.8 differential.

Last edited:

5 different gear oils are tested in that thread. We’ve got 6 more oils’ test results coming soon.

Long story short, Amsoil is a top performer in many of the test categories.

Pick one from the above list. They all qualify to the same performance standard regardless of base stock.

The 8.8" is a pretty darn reliable and robust unit, so as long as you treat it well it should last you a very long time.

Pick one from the above list. They all qualify to the same performance standard regardless of base stock.

The 8.8" is a pretty darn reliable and robust unit, so as long as you treat it well it should last you a very long time.
I couldn’t seem to find what you’re referring to on that site.

Those super 8.8’s. come with 75w85, if you want to stick with the oem spec, however any 75w140 would serve you well. You won’t notice any measurable fuel economy loss.

If you haven’t made a change yet
Wait for the results that SubieRubyRoo will post soon. Lots of info to pick from

Back