Is amsoil severe duty gear oil THAT much better than the rest?

Any idea how much Redline is paying for sponsorships via their marketing department these days? Not saying RL is bad by any means, but their 75w90 certainly wasn’t a standout by any means in the large group of gear oils I had tested.

As dnewton3 pointed out, the ultra-premium market will outperform most competitors, but the J2360 list is certainly capable of handling a massive portion of daily-driver duties.
Don't know. I imagine Steve Torrence is cut a check but depending on decal size it may just mean free oil for some teams. This isn't insignificant, 55 gallon + drums of waste lubricant every weekend spread over many teams is quite the investment. The oil in the differentials on many if not most teams used to be Red Line just like that heavy green colored engine oil in most top fuel vehicles. I haven't wandered the NHRA pits in a few years so it may have changed. Gotta confess there seems to be no Amsoil sponsorship represented in Top Fuel. Mobil, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Lucas, Amelie do have sponsor presence. Whatever those teams use, you know standing up to 13000 horsepower in an engine or differential is serious business. I know from this board that HPL has a footprint in pro stock, Not aware if they are in other divisions. I see Ravenol is advertised on some F1 cars. I was told that even teams that have major oil sponsorship's from Mobil, Pennzoil etc. still probably utilize a specialty oil. You see many unmarked barrels and jugs in teams that aren't using Red Line, Torco, etc. maybe

I’ve been using Valvoline in a few cars that need 75W-90. I’ll stop and use Red Line, M1 or Delvac 1 instead.

Severe gear is good stuff for sure. But in normal circumstances it may be overkill. Basically if the lube is changed on some kind of regular basis and the unit is not abused, you might not know the difference from a "regular" product like Valvoline or Supertech gear lube. I think the main benefit for Amsoil is for very long service intervals, the Amsoil product might hold up better. That is why I emphasized the regular service. My Tacoma has an open diff and Amsoil recommends I use the severe gear product. I told them my open diff does not require the LS additive and asked about their 100% synthetic long life gear lube product -- they said that product would work for me too lol. Runs great. I would not hesitate to run any other name brand lube, but I use Amsoil because I like knowing that the diff is protected if I need to go over the service interval.

In my experience, the Severe Gear is barely more expensive than other brands such as Mobil, Valvoline, and Lucas. Cheaper than Red Line, Royal Purple, etc. I have been changing everything over to Amsoil because I value their tech support as well as how transparent they are. With my usage I likely won't see a big difference, but I rather send money to a company I like.

if you are changing the oil at specified intervals it won’t make a difference over the life of the vehicle.

I guess if you want the diff to remain pristine for the junkyard while spending more money… go for it.

FWIW I used Severe Gear (the blue stuff) in a 1999 Jeep Cherokee after about 30,000 miles, didn't change it for 20 years and it still looked good when I would check it. The car was a spare we had setting around for my wife who worked at a hospital and had to get to work for her shift regardless of the weather. I think it had 120K miles when we sold it.

Really, Wind Turbines!

2000Trooper, anyone can say anything on a Social Media Platform, that does not mean it is true.

I am so glad that I was not drinking something when I read Wind Turbines, because I would have spat the drink out on the Computer Screen.
Just an FYI, Amsoil does make lubes for wind turbines. But they are certainly not close to any of the automotive lubes in formulation. :giggle:

Just an FYI, Amsoil does make lubes for wind turbines. But they are certainly not close to any of the automotive lubes in formulation. :giggle:
Thank you for giving me that info, when I do put a wind turbine in my backyard, I will be giving Amsoil a call. For anyone reading what I wrote, the Amsoil Racing Grease, which is called Dominator now, is thicker than Lucas Red and Tacky Grease! I looked up the specs on both Greases!

Thank you for giving me that info, when I do put a wind turbine in my backyard, I will be giving Amsoil a call. For anyone reading what I wrote, the Amsoil Racing Grease, which is called Dominator now, is thicker than Lucas Red and Tacky Grease! I looked up the specs on both Greases!
Wind turbines operate for a long time with lots of stress on gears. That says something.

Back