Preferred 15w-40 for small Kubota diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming up on the 1st oil change for the 26hp Kubota B2620 compact tractor. For my temps it looks like the 15w40 would be best. Local stores showing Mobil Delvac Super 1300, Rotella T , and Motorcraft 15-40 diesel.

Price isn't the concern, Protection of the engine is, is there something better I should check into in looking harder or is one of these better, all the same or ? Never had a diesel before so I decided to ask.

Usage mainly for mowing. Any others t

Thanks!

Between those lubes, selection isn't a concern. Any major HDEO is going to be great in that application. Your engine isn't going to know the difference.

So, get the one that's on sale.

Kubota engines are very easy on oil, and very robust in design. I use Rotella 10w-30 in my Kubota L3430GST; never had an issue.

Originally Posted By: DirtyApe
Coming up on the 1st oil change for the 26hp Kubota B2620 compact tractor. For my temps it looks like the 15w40 would be best. Local stores showing Mobil Delvac Super 1300, Rotella T , and Motorcraft 15-40 diesel.

Price isn't the concern, Protection of the engine is, is there something better I should check into in looking harder or is one of these better, all the same or ? Never had a diesel before so I decided to ask.

Usage mainly for mowing. Any others t

Thanks!

Their are some great UOA's posted of Kubota using Amsoil Diesel oils.

I plan to stick with the manual reccomendations for warranty I like the pic of the semi on the front of the Delvac so I'll try that one this time! Thank you for the comments on the choices!

I plan to stick with the manual reccomendations for warranty I like the pic of the semi on the front of the Delvac so I'll try that one this time! Thank you for the comments on the choices!

What does the manual say? HIGHLY likely Amsoil complies with recommendations.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

What does the manual say? HIGHLY likely Amsoil complies with recommendations.

It states that the ones I listed fit the requirements as printed there, so I'm good on that. The ones listed are quickly available and easily found. Thanks though!

Last edited:
I have a kubota diesel generator with the d722 engine that I run rotella t6 5w40 in, but my app might call for below zero starts and goes straight to 3600 rpm as soon as you turn the key. I want immediate flow in that situation, but for just mowing your 15w40 will do just fine as the others have posted. Which engine does your tractor have?

... I like the pic of the semi on the front of the Delvac so I'll try that one this time!

Well - I've actually heard worse reasons for trying a lube ... And at least he acknowledges the emotional attraction up front.

Pablo - maybe you could arrange for a big D-9 Cat dozer to grace the label of the DEO or AME?
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turbodieselfreak
I have a kubota diesel generator with the d722 engine that I run rotella t6 5w40 in, but my app might call for below zero starts and goes straight to 3600 rpm as soon as you turn the key. I want immediate flow in that situation, but for just mowing your 15w40 will do just fine as the others have posted. Which engine does your tractor have?

It is the B2620, so it should be a 3 cylinder 26hp.

I always used Chevron Delo 15w-40 in the Kubota tractors. Both still ran like new when I sold the farm. I also changed the oil far more frequently than Kubota recommended, but I was making hay in a very dusty environment. Don't forget your hydraulic oil and filters if you have not done them.

Originally Posted By: Boatowner
I always used Chevron Delo 15w-40 in the Kubota tractors. Both still ran like new when I sold the farm. I also changed the oil far more frequently than Kubota recommended, but I was making hay in a very dusty environment. Don't forget your hydraulic oil and filters if you have not done them.

Yup got the super udt2, both filters, the oil filter and the delvac 15-40. Took 3 hours but did them all this afternoon. Just as I got the deck and fel on it started pouring. Perfect timing!

Hi,
DirtyApe - You made a good choice. The Delvac range of lubricants has a great history

Many years ago I met with the top engine Engineers at Kubota in Japan. Then, they strongly advised agaist using synthetic lubricants in their engines - especially when quite new

I used them anyway after a suitable settleing in period and had great success - the reason was to extend the OCIs on a constant speed application. These engines were used six days per week for about 15-20 hours per day. We settled on 3000 hr OCIs with great success

If it uses the same water pump as mine, keep a spare on hand. The seal on mine failed and leaks about two drops a month out the weep hole. Nothing to worry about and it might be due to infrequent use, but I have its replacement on hand. Only problem I've noticed on my kubota diesel in 3 years or so, and this thing powers my central a/c when the power goes down.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
DirtyApe - You made a good choice. The Delvac range of lubricants has a great history

Many years ago I met with the top engine Engineers at Kubota in Japan. Then, they strongly advised agaist using synthetic lubricants in their engines - especially when quite new

I used them anyway after a suitable settleing in period and had great success - the reason was to extend the OCIs on a constant speed application. These engines were used six days per week for about 15-20 hours per day. We settled on 3000 hr OCIs with great success

It started pouring just as we (daughter and I) finished so didn't do anything but fire it up and drive into the garage. I doubt I'll be able to tell a difference from 10-30 to 15-40 but.. It had the factory fill though. I'm at 53hrs now.

If it uses the same water pump as mine, keep a spare on hand. The seal on mine failed and leaks about two drops a month out the weep hole. Nothing to worry about and it might be due to infrequent use, but I have its replacement on hand. Only problem I've noticed on my kubota diesel in 3 years or so, and this thing powers my central a/c when the power goes down.

I'll keep an eye on it during maintenance, thanks!

Well I'm now at 200 hours so I need / want to change my oil again in my Kubota B2620 3cy 26hp diesel tractor.

I used Delvac 1300 super 15-40 conventional last time and it seemed ok - was looking in the oil aisle and see:

Rotella t5 conv 15-40 14.95, t6 synthetic for 19.95 or the delvac 1300 super conventional for 12.47.

I use it for moving and that's about it - Delvac again or is a syn blend / syn really worth the extra $?

No - you're not going to see any significant difference in wear control.
Get the least expensive HDEO that meets your needs and sleep well.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
No - you're not going to see any significant difference in wear control.
Get the least expensive HDEO that meets your needs and sleep well.

delvac it is! thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back